TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 22 2012, 07:06 PM   #91
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: F1 2012 Championship Thread

Has the up-to-now likeable Vettel had some sort of brain transplant with Pastor Maldonado?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 07:24 PM   #92
MacLeod
Admiral

Don't think so. I think it's just a case of a bad weekend, plus it's his home GP so that only compounds the bad weekend.

On the plus side the McLaren looks to be a lot closer to the Ferrari and the Red Bulls, though it might be ahead of the Red Bull after all Lewis in a damaged car was at one point faster than Vettel (on newer tyres). Though the McLaren doesn't appear to like the wet.

I wonder how quickly the wording of the mapping regulation, whist the stewads at the race might have decided that it doesn't technically break the rules (the FIA is the higher authority) it sounds as if it breaks the spirit of the rules.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 07:36 PM   #93
Lonemagpie
Writer

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Don't think so. I think it's just a case of a bad weekend, plus it's his home GP so that only compounds the bad weekend.
I really thought the stewards would chicken out of taking action, since it was his home crowd...

On the plus side the McLaren looks to be a lot closer to the Ferrari and the Red Bulls, though it might be ahead of the Red Bull after all Lewis in a damaged car was at one point faster than Vettel (on newer tyres). Though the McLaren doesn't appear to like the wet.
Yeah, they were pretty open about that, between dire performance at wet Silverstone, and here.

I wonder how quickly the wording of the mapping regulation, whist the stewads at the race might have decided that it doesn't technically break the rules (the FIA is the higher authority) it sounds as if it breaks the spirit of the rules.
Yeah, their verdict says Red Bull didn't break the letter of the rules "as written" so it's clear they mean it breaks the intent, and that the rule will be rewritten for clarity. I doubt they'd be able to do it for Hungary next week, but might manage to do it over the summer break. Failing that I'm sure they'll have it in place for next year.

Old July 22 2012, 08:10 PM   #94
MacLeod
Admiral

Agreed, I have doubts that the FIA can workout the wording in time for Hungary. But they should be able to manage something over the summer break. But as you say falling that they should be able to clear it up for the 2013 season.

Though It's looking like it might be Alonso's year.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 22 2012, 09:18 PM   #95
Lonemagpie
Writer

Though It's looking like it might be Alonso's year.
From the way he's come over in interviews and off-track over the past few weeks, I no longer hate that prospect.

Looks like, in general, Maldonado's taken over the position of "total douchebag with an inflated sense of self-importance" - though Vettel was making a grab for it today...

Old July 22 2012, 09:32 PM   #96
MacLeod
Admiral

I'd like Lewis or Jenson to win, but as that's unlikely. It would be nice if Webber won the Championship.

Maldonando's no doubt trying to keep under the stewards radar and have afew uneventful races.
Old July 22 2012, 10:29 PM   #97
Lonemagpie
Writer

I'd love to see Webber get a championship

Old July 22 2012, 10:37 PM   #98
MacLeod
Admiral

I suspect that's a feeling shared amongest many in the paddock and out of the paddock.
Old July 27 2012, 05:02 PM   #99
Lonemagpie
Writer

I see they've managed to reword the rules for this week...

Old July 28 2012, 05:18 PM   #100
MacLeod
Admiral

Yep, seems as if the FIA can work fast if they need to.

But back on track it was a dominant performance by Lewis in Qualifying. Esp in Q1, where his rivals couldn't beat his time on the hard tyres even on the soft tryes.
Old July 29 2012, 06:35 PM   #101
MacLeod
Admiral

Well Lewis managed to win, with a strong performance by the Lotus finishing 2nd and 3rd.

But in other news the Red Bull car is once again in the dock

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19032217

So far we've had holes in the floor
Engine Mapping
Holes in the wheels

And so far the FIA has judged them all to contravine the rules
Old July 31 2012, 04:36 PM   #102
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Adrian Newey loves his rulebreaking gimmicks, doesn't he?

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 05:12 PM   #103
MacLeod
Admiral

He would say something like, "it's exploring the limits of the rules."
Old July 31 2012, 05:19 PM   #104
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

He would say something like, "it's exploring the limits of the rules."
I thought that was Christian Horner's line? I can't stand that guy.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 02:02 PM   #105
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the summer break is almost over, and in a little under 7 days time, racing will be under way at one of the favourite tracks amongest drivers and fans, Spa.

It'll be interesting to see if any new appears. So what are we expecting, Lewis and Vettel to battle it out for pole, with maybe Alonso in the mix or will Lotus finally be able to live up to the potential of the car that we've seen. Will Jenson be able to match Lewis in qualification. Can Sauber reach the top step of the podium?