Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22 2012, 12:09 PM   #241
Warped9
Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
its too bad that alot of you had trouble hearing the actors, especially Hardy. In the theatre i was at, i could hear everyone just fine.
Same here.
Old July 22 2012, 12:33 PM   #242
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I didn't have a problem either except for one scene: his takeover of the stock exchange. That's was it. However, there is an obvious break in the effect during the first fight scene - Hardy's natural voice came through loud and clear.

I, too, also noticed that Gotham was obviously Manhattan Island this time. At least in the first film, there was some attempt to hide it. My inner geek was a little peeved at DC for having fictionalized the names of cities in the DCU in a manner Marvel never has.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 12:42 PM   #243
Warped9
Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I, too, also noticed that Gotham was obviously Manhattan Island this time. At least in the first film, there was some attempt to hide it. My inner geek was a little peeved at DC for having fictionalized the names of cities in the DCU in a manner Marvel never has.
There was a lack of consistency. In Batman Begins we get a very stylized fictional Gotham. In The Dark Knight the stylized city is gone and it could be any major city. Finally we get a dead ringer for Manhattan although some of the filming was in Chicago.
Old July 22 2012, 12:58 PM   #244
DWF
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
There was a lack of consistency. In Batman Begins we get a very stylized fictional Gotham. In The Dark Knight the stylized city is gone and it could be any major city. Finally we get a dead ringer for Manhattan although some of the filming was in Chicago.
LA was also used as a standin for Gotham, I could see the famous U.S. Bank tower in a number of shots.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 02:17 PM   #245
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And Pittsburgh.
Old July 22 2012, 02:49 PM   #246
Mr Light
Admiral

In all seriousness, I would have appreciated it if they subtitled Bane's dialogue.

Let me say some positive things, now:

--the opening with Bane in the plane was absolutely amazing. it looked like they literally did that practically, having a plane dragging another plane in the air. That was incredible.
--Catwoman was awesome. She looked great in her catsuit and ears without it looking like she's wearing a costume. I also liked her journey from thief to betrayer to sidekick.
--The Batsuit looked absolutely perfect in this one. Any live action Batsuit always has problems with how it looks but this one was flawless. He looked so bad ass.
--The Pit prison was an amazing looking set. They literally built that?
--The first Batman / Bane fight in the sewer looked incredible. (I'm pissed he didn't use weapons against him but it was an ambush) The water on them, the setting, the way he got wailed on, cracking his cowl, that all looked amazing.
--No Man's Land is my favorite Bat story, so I think it's really cool they did that in the movie. And Knightfall is the other huge epic as well. So it's like the greatest hits of the comics! I just wish it was two movies (see the other thread, lol)
--The big mass battle at the end was nice and epic.
--The Batwing was awesome.
--I liked that this was the return of the League of Shadows and that we got Talia. I just Ra'sh was shown to be behind it all.
--I never get tired of the Scarecrow cameos
--I love that they "killed" Batman at the end and gave Bruce a happy ending. However I wish they killed him for real. I particularly loved the moment when Bats says to Gordon maybe a hero is just a guy putting his coat around a little boy's shoulders. That was a really effective way to reveal it without just spitting his name out. So that in a way Gordon was the inspiration for Batman.

So, who thinks that if Heath were alive, they would have shown the Joker being released from prison for No Man's Land, and the first thing Bats would have done when he was returned was hunt down the Joker before going after Bane?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 03:36 PM   #247
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Including the Joker in a priosn break would have been problematic because they wouldn't have been able to have him in make-up. It would have just been Heath Ledger with an orange jumpsuit and scars at the sides of his mouth. No Joker mystique. And Having Batman go after him would have been too much of a detour from the main plot.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 04:22 PM   #248
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Batman/Bruce hangs it up after the events of TDK. This paints him as emotionally weak and defeated after being Batman for only about a year or so. This doesn't ring true with the Batman of the comics or the character shown in the previous films. Batman/Bruce can be hurt, but he's resilient and perseveres.
The Bruce we see here seemed fairly consistent with previous versions of the character that show him as withdrawn or deeply affected by life. Becoming a Howard Hughes-style recluse isn't much of a leap from there.

And this is contradicted late in the film when someone says has been fighting for years. So which one is it?
Did someone say that? If so, I'd say it's just talk. A bit of hyperbole.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 04:26 PM   #249
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So, who thinks that if Heath were alive, they would have shown the Joker being released from prison for No Man's Land, and the first thing Bats would have done when he was returned was hunt down the Joker before going after Bane?
I'm skeptical of that; that's really a story on its own.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 04:47 PM   #250
Mr Light
Admiral

But if Dark Knight became an insane financial hit primarily based on Heath's performance, you don't think Warner Brothers wouldn't have moved mountains to bring him back in the sequel?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 04:54 PM   #251
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I didn't have a problem either except for one scene: his takeover of the stock exchange. That's was it. However, there is an obvious break in the effect during the first fight scene - Hardy's natural voice came through loud and clear.

I don't think this was the best Nolan Batman film if you're judging location shooting continuity. It was too sloppy with the Freedom tower and obvious New York skylines.

At least for "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" you knew Chicago was the primary location and not 3 different spots

Still, if you don't pay much attention it blends seamlessly.

LA to Pittsburgh to New York and back to Pittsburgh.

They never went back to Chicago for the third film

Locations were:

LA

-Bruce returns and Selina saves a boy

-Batman returns after 8 years and follows a police chase

Pennslyvania

-Gordon meeting the cop at his house

-Heinz field for the football stadium

New York

-Wall Street

-Bruce leaving Wayne Enterprises after he's left as a board member.

Scotland

-Prologue scene

India

-Prison Pit
Old July 22 2012, 04:58 PM   #252
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I'd definitely assume the Joker would have played a role had Heath survived - for one thing, unlike Ra's al Ghul and Two-Face, he didn't die at the end of the movie.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ Including the Joker in a priosn break would have been problematic because they wouldn't have been able to have him in make-up.
He'd be part of the prison break, probably not show his face (but hear his voice) and he'd then appear some time after in Joker costume. Who's to say how the anarchist would really take Bane? He could fight Bane because that's kind of how he rolls. We could even be in a situation where the Batman kind of needs Joker in the Bane thing (in the sense we saw him need Catwoman in this movie). Lot of ways the movie could have played the Joker's role had he been there.
Old July 22 2012, 04:59 PM   #253
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I believe the Wayne Manor scenes were filmed in England.
Old July 22 2012, 05:30 PM   #254
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post

I think that our contemporary developed world cities are not conducive to the story told in this film. If a major city is experiencing a severe disturbance, such as a riot, the national government will send in military units to quell the disturbance. We have seen this multiple times in our country's history, most recently being the Los Angeles riots in 1992. I don't know of any incident in our country's history in which Special Forces are sent in to restore order. I could be wrong, and, if so, can someone name at least one incident?
Everyone keeps refering to riots as a real world counterpart to what is depicted in the movie, but that's not the right analogy. New Orleans and Katrina is. City cut off from the rest of the world by disaster. Left to sit, fetid and dying with citizens running wild out of fear and desperation, with no federal intervention for a week. Now put to that a terrorist with a nuclear bomb who says he'll blow the city if any outside force is brought to bear. Special forces were sent in because they could be sent secretly.

The director could have depicted the decay of a great nation set in the near to far future with Batman being seen as the symbol of order over the chaos.
It has been noted before that Batman stories work best in a world gone to hell.

Kegg wrote: View Post
roliver wrote: View Post
True, I've heard many attempts to explain the mountain of problems with Prometheus, but no one has come close to doing it,
And no one can explain Bane's plan in the opening movie as anything other than a spectacularly absurd and mind-boggingly stupid idea that succeeds mostly through a colossal amount of dumb luck which he is gifted free of charge by the screenwriters (and I considered that your explanation acknowledges the problem with the scene rather than justifies it).

And understand I'm using this scene as an example. I could talk about the general stupidity of Bane's plans regarding Batman or Batman's inexplicable and completely unearned decision to trust Catwoman a second time etc. (and I'm not even touching the prison hole, which could be given a couple of paragraphs), but it's easier to needle in just one logical problem the film has.
I'm pretty sure the movie did not make one lick of sense - but I kinda don't care. Which is funny because I'm usually wildly picky and critical of Batman stories. I've read hundreds, seen dozens upon dozens of hours of Batman, animated and live action, and out of all that I like maybe 10 stories, but those 10 I really, REALLY love. TDKR suffers from many of the things that would make me hate another Batman story (and perhaps I'll hate this one on subsequent viewings - who knows?), but it pretty much rides high on sheer coolness and the cache Nolan has built in the other two films.

We were watching the new Aaron Sorkin show Newshour, and at the end of the 1st episode, a young woman says to a guy who just ran the coverage of a major news story through intense investigation, "You were like Batman". So I told my thoroughly non-geeky SO, "She just told him she very much wants to have sex with him." And my SO was completely baffled. I told him when a woman says that you're like Batman, she means she wants you - because Batman is just plain hot. I mean from both sides of the equation. I'm lucky in that I understand the wish fulfillment side of Batman - I read or see a great Batman story, and like a guy, I want to be Batman (not Catwoman, not Batgirl, but the brilliant wounded badass master mind himself!), at the same time, being a woman, I understand the sheer sexiness and romance of the character. Somehow or another TDKR captures all of that, even if it does so in the middle of a rather nonsensical plot.
Old July 22 2012, 06:16 PM   #255
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
--The Batsuit looked absolutely perfect in this one. Any live action Batsuit always has problems with how it looks but this one was flawless. He looked so bad ass.
I thought the suit looked great for most of it (the action figure style neck doesn't even bother me anymore), but I DID think it looked awfully fake and rubbery in the final daylight battle.

It suddenly looked a whole lot less like armor and more like a heavy, uncomfortable costume. Probably couldn't be helped though.

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post

I'm pretty sure the movie did not make one lick of sense - but I kinda don't care. Which is funny because I'm usually wildly picky and critical of Batman stories. I've read hundreds, seen dozens upon dozens of hours of Batman, animated and live action, and out of all that I like maybe 10 stories, but those 10 I really, REALLY love. TDKR suffers from many of the things that would make me hate another Batman story (and perhaps I'll hate this one on subsequent viewings - who knows?), but it pretty much rides high on sheer coolness and the cache Nolan has built in the other two films.
Wish I could have been the same way, but for me the problems and silly story contrivances were just too much to bear. Maybe if the movie had simply flowed a lot better, like the previous two did, it would have helped.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote