New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

What's next for Batman...

Superhero movies have pretty much hit a zone for the past several years. I don't think it's likely we'll see a return of obvious camp like we saw in the first run of live-action Superman and Batman films from 1978-1997. I think the exceptions are superhero films that are one-offs and/or wholly original stories like V For Vendetta or Kick-Ass.

The general tone now, at least for the more familiar mainstream characters, pretty much mirrors the comics: done generally straight with varying measures of humour. And no matter how dire things get in the stories in the end it's all obviously "just for fun." With this approach it's hard to get seriously worked up over the fate of the characters.

Note in recent reboots such as The Hulk and Spider-Man the general tone stayed pretty much the same even if individual story elements were changed to suit the new take.

But Chris Nolan broke with the current convention. By the time of Batman Begins in 2005 we had already had two X-Men and two Spider-Man films to establish the new overall tone. Nolan seemed intent to tone down the tongue-in-cheek aspects and keeping it to a minimum. The Batman tends to be accepted as a generally darker kind of superhero and lends himself well to Nolan's kind of storytelling. It also helps that Nolan's story has a distinct beginning, middle and end for the character rather than being left open ended like most other films. He also didn't leave much room for the idea of too many untold Batman tales set within the framework of his larger story. That said TDKR is left somewhat open ends, but not necessarily for Bruce Wayne and perhaps the Batman as well. It's possible Nolan could oversee a followup of sorts to his trilogy without being closely involved as director, maybe, and it wouldn't necessarily be Batman.

So does the next followup project or reboot follow in the Nolan style or will Batman be brought back into the mainstream tone of other superhero movies? Could we get a John Blake as Batman or perhaps as Nightwing? Could be get to see Anne Hathaway return solo in a Catwoman feature (something I'd like to see). Could we conceivably see a retro looking period piece? (another thing I'd like to see)

Thoughts anyone? What do you thing is likely and/or what would you like to see?
Old July 22 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: What's next for Batman...

Ideally, I'd like ot see more movies set in the Nolanverse. I'd accept something with John Blake or Catwoman and I wouldn't mind seeing other major villains included that weren't done, like the Penguin or the Riddler. A Batgirl movie or trilogy set in Nolan's world would also be more than welcome. She has a compelling story.

Batgirl Begins...
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I do think there is more to be fun to be had with the gritty Nolanverse, but without Bale or Nolan I'm not sure how interesting it would be.

I really don't want to see spinoff films with side characters.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Ideally, I'd like ot see more movies set in the Nolanverse. I'd accept something with John Blake or Catwoman and I wouldn't mind seeing other major villains included that weren't done, like the Penguin or the Riddler. A Batgirl movie or trilogy set in Nolan's world would also be more than welcome. She has a compelling story.

Batgirl Begins...
Warner Brothers has quietly said that they will NOT be doing any films staring female heroes since they don't bring in the bucks. So no Batgirl films. Actually, I doubt that Nolan wold go near that since he ws extremely hesitant to go anywhere near Robin.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Superhero movies have pretty much hit a zone for the past several years. I don't think it's likely we'll see a return of obvious camp like we saw in the first run of live-action Superman and Batman films from 1978-1997. I think the exceptions are superhero films that are one-offs and/or wholly original stories like V For Vendetta or Kick-Ass.

The general tone now, at least for the more familiar mainstream characters, pretty much mirrors the comics: done generally straight with varying measures of humour. And no matter how dire things get in the stories in the end it's all obviously "just for fun." With this approach it's hard to get seriously worked up over the fate of the characters.

Note in recent reboots such as The Hulk and Spider-Man the general tone stayed pretty much the same even if individual story elements were changed to suit the new take.

But Chris Nolan broke with the current convention. By the time of Batman Begins in 2005 we had already had two X-Men and two Spider-Man films to establish the new overall tone. Nolan seemed intent to tone down the tongue-in-cheek aspects and keeping it to a minimum. The Batman tends to be accepted as a generally darker kind of superhero and lends himself well to Nolan's kind of storytelling. It also helps that Nolan's story has a distinct beginning, middle and end for the character rather than being left open ended like most other films. He also didn't leave much room for the idea of too many untold Batman tales set within the framework of his larger story. That said TDKR is left somewhat open ends, but not necessarily for Bruce Wayne and perhaps the Batman as well. It's possible Nolan could oversee a followup of sorts to his trilogy without being closely involved as director, maybe, and it wouldn't necessarily be Batman.

So does the next followup project or reboot follow in the Nolan style or will Batman be brought back into the mainstream tone of other superhero movies? Could we get a John Blake as Batman or perhaps as Nightwing? Could be get to see Anne Hathaway return solo in a Catwoman feature (something I'd like to see). Could we conceivably see a retro looking period piece? (another thing I'd like to see)

Thoughts anyone? What do you thing is likely and/or what would you like to see?

Folks...the Nolanverse is DONE! The end.

Warner Brothers has already stated that their next goal, post Man of Steel, is a Justice League film. Man of Steel will probably be adjusted to make room for that possibility and Green Lantern is headed for a soft reboot as well. The Next Batman you see will be done so as to fit in with Justice League.

WB is clearly pleased with what Nolan did, but they want a JL film and WB does NOT allow multiple versions of its characters to be featured in the same medium.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Folks...the Nolanverse is DONE! The end.
Just so. It's pretty obvious that Warner Brothers now wants to emulate the kind of shared universe strategy Marvel is doing. Nolan's films stood on their own in the way most pre-Iron Man superhero films did (and X-Men and Spider-Man movies will continue to do). The door has been closed on Nolan's pictures, they went out rather well, time to move on (and most importantly it's quite clear Nolan doesn't want to spend any more involvement in the Batman films, so what's the point in keeping non-Nolan material 'in continuity' with what he did?)
Old July 22 2012, 05:29 PM   #7
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I just want to see Batman out of the generic overly detailed armour and go back to something more streamlined from the comics.
Heck, even take a page out of the designs from the Arkham games.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Mr Light
Admiral

I really enjoyed the Nolan Trilogy of semi-realism, but I'd like the next take on it to go in the other direction, and have a Batman that can exist in the world of Superman and Wonder Woman and what have you. One where he can have a meta-human villain. And side kicks. Without it being campy of course. Something like the tone of the DCAU.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 05:46 PM   #9
billcosby
Commodore

Loved the Nolan films, but I'm ready for it to be handed off to someone else.
Dare I say it, maybe a return to the TV serial for Bats and co?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

Batgirl Begins...
Warner Brothers has quietly said that they will NOT be doing any films staring female heroes since they don't bring in the bucks.
Also, Bruce and Selina seem like an item at this point, so you really couldn't bring back Catwoman without involving Bale's Wayne.

Gotham Central wrote:
Actually, I doubt that Nolan wold go near that since he ws extremely hesitant to go anywhere near Robin.
Or so we thought.

Tricksy Nolan.
Old July 22 2012, 08:29 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Personally I thought The Amazing Spider-Man was closer to Nolan style than to the Avengers-verse movies. Yeah, the Lizard was more fanciful and Spider-Man delivers some wisecracks but I thought that movie had a different tone to its brethren.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 08:55 PM   #12
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I don't think we've seen the last of Batman as a solo film property, but I do think that the next time we see the character on the big screen will be as part of a JLA film.

If and when Batman does return to the screen in a solo film, though, I don't think a return to the' Nolan'-verse is as out of the question as some people do.

Speaking of the JLA, I highly doubt that next year's Man of Steel is going to have any connection to a JLA film if and when it materializes, primarily because Christopher Nolan has said that he has absolutely no interest in being even remotely involved in or with the establishment of a shared universe akin to what Marvel's doing with the MCU, so if the MoS franchise is still going when a JLA film materializes, we'll more than likely see a completely different and unrelated version of Superman involved in such a film if Warner Bros. and DC want to have the character included.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't think anyone wants to retread the ground Nolan covered. I think a good filmmaker is going to want to bring his vision to life and not play in someone else's sandbox. Another reason is the Joker would be pretty much off-limits and probably not even Bale is going to want to do the Bale voice again.
Old July 22 2012, 09:16 PM   #14
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

The Joker was only 'off-limits' because Christopher Nolan did not feel it was appropriate to re-utilize the character following Heath's death; if someone did step into Nolan's shoes and do a continuation of the universe he established with the Dark Knight Trilogy, they would in no wise be beholden to the personal choice that Nolan made.

Anyone stepping into the 'Nolan-verse' would also in no wise shackled by what had come before except in that they would have to maintain a balance between striking out on their own and remaining true, spiritually, to what Nolan had established, which would not be that difficult a line to walk, IMO.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Not that it's against the law or anything but I think it would awkward and you'd always be second-guessed even if you didn't outright offend some people.