Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Raise the Dawn.
Outstanding 82 70.69%
Above Average 25 21.55%
Average 3 2.59%
Below Average 3 2.59%
Poor 3 2.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13 2012, 10:16 PM   #286
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I finished this book yesterday. I absolutely loved this duology. DRGIII at his finest. He did a marvelous job at weaving in various elements and stories and touching upon so many different things (DS9, the Robinson, the Enterprise, the Romulans, the Dominion, etc.). Naturally, I was most excited about establishing the new status quo for DS9. There's still that annoying jump in time after "The Soul Key" that needs to be properly addressed, but I really like the way DRGIII gave us some of the backstory to fill in some of the missing time, and really developed the current-day characters. Nearly every member of DS9's main cast was given a role (even if only a small one) in these books, with the exception of Ezri. I really like the way Sisko was handled (I was surprised by the dramatic changes to the character in DRG's earlier book, Rough Beasts of Empire but he was explored quite nicely this time around). However, I'm not sure how I feel about wrapping up Sisko's arc as the emissary to the prophets. I thought that it was an important part of the character and I'm curious to see what exactly they plan to do with Sisko in the future to make him stand out.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 09:54 PM   #287
Jarvisimo
Commander

No, one and the same. I've only read some of his British comics, and they are good, but his prose has always been rather special, and gotten much better and more experimental. But even his early work is rather lovely.
Old July 14 2012, 10:00 PM   #288
Jarvisimo
Commander

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
However, I'm not sure how I feel about wrapping up Sisko's arc as the emissary to the prophets. I thought that it was an important part of the character and I'm curious to see what exactly they plan to do with Sisko in the future to make him stand out.
It is such a dramatic change to the character, especially as he was conceived and discussed by writers and actors (for example in the DS9 companion). But it is interesting - though hopefully he will not become just a starship captain (and family man), but that dynamic (and occasionally unhinged) Brooksian manner will still be present ([I]a la[I] For the Uniform or other non-Emissary when Brooks played that unhinged interpretation).

One thing I found strange - especially based upon how prevalent she was in season 7 - was that the Sarah prophet was completely absent (indeed I can't remember her at all in the Relaunch), but then that can be sidestepped by saying that she was for most of his televised life anyway, and was simply extant that year because she was preparing him for the defeat of the Pah'wraiths and his time in the Temple.
Old July 15 2012, 03:40 PM   #289
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It was kind of slow going, but I enjoyed Raise the Dawn. But still not as much as I did Rough Beasts of Empire.

I'm really liking the way the story is moving forward (now a whopping 8 years beyond the DS9 TV series). No reset buttons. Stuff changing.

I wasn't a fan of the Benny Russel stuff, and I was disappointed that Spock was left out entirely from this book. I do hope his low-key return to the Federation is picked up on shortly.
Old July 16 2012, 03:30 AM   #290
aelius
Commander

RonG wrote: View Post
I don't recall ever seeing this Board reach a consensus on anything..
Can I quote you on that...
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 06:05 AM   #291
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

aelius wrote: View Post
RonG wrote: View Post
I don't recall ever seeing this Board reach a consensus on anything..
Can I quote you on that...
go right ahead
Old July 16 2012, 05:42 PM   #292
Reanok
Commodore

I finally got my copy of Raise the dawn this past saturday and just finished reading the first chapter Wow!I really like how this bok continues where the cliff hanger ended in the previous book.I like the newe Romulan leader Kemmora and her reaction of what happened at Ds9 and being supicious of Sela's lies.She's a great character I hope she'll be featured in more Typhon pact books.

Last edited by Reanok; July 17 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Reanok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 08:28 PM   #293
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Nice to finally be rid of
And to finally have a satisfying end to

And now, instead of Sisko,

The few issues I had with the book were matters of whether certain characters really had enough motivation to do what they did, or whether they could really be so totally consumed by, for example, racism, and my questioning of motivations was probably the result of being hypersensitized to such things (I just read Gillebaard's Moon Hoax, which was hip-deep in them, as well as with implausible technology).
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 08:36 PM   #294
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Kira should stay with the Prophets indefinitely, for that may be best for her.
Ronald Held is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 06:24 AM   #295
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Such an impressive story, I really enjoyed this one! DRG III has truly created a masterpiece with his duology.

I really like all of the rebuilding after DS9's...you know.

Nice to see

I liked the ending, it was amazing.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 02:02 PM   #296
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished reading this book one of the best Strtrek books I've read about Ds9 in a long time,I can't wait to see what happens with the ds9 crew in the next book.I certainly thought this book was an exciting read it reminded me of a tv show or watching a movie reading this book.
Old July 22 2012, 01:56 PM   #297
Relayer1
Commodore

This was great - it made a superb job of pulling together the various disparate threads into a coherent whole. One of my favourite of the recent Trek books - I'm even sort of over the 'big loss' at the start of this book ! I think this actually works well as a trilogy with Rough Beasts of Empire, which was (imho) the best of the initial Typhon Pact releases.

Looking forward, most of the main players are back in the DS9 frame and I'm excited about the future - hopefully written by the same author !
Old July 22 2012, 02:57 PM   #298
Reanok
Commodore

I'm glad so many of the charcters have returned.
I lke how Nog and O'Brien are working together again.I'd like to see more of Bashir&O'Brien's friendship shown in the next book.
Old July 23 2012, 02:12 AM   #299
cml898
Lieutenant

Finished this today. So good to have certain plots picked up that have been left hanging for years. I know this wasn't solely a DS9 story, but this duology has been for me the most satisfying DS9 related reading experience since Unity.
cml898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 02:46 AM   #300
WarsTrek1993
Captain

cml898 wrote: View Post
Finished this today. So good to have certain plots picked up that have been left hanging for years. I know this wasn't solely a DS9 story, but this duology has been for me the most satisfying DS9 related reading experience since Unity.
Unity's that good, eh? I haven't read it yet, but after this duology, I'm looking forward to Avatar, Abyss, Mission Gamma and Unity.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote