Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Batman's greatest love interest
Vicki Vale 1 2.70%
Catwoman 22 59.46%
Talia al Ghul 9 24.32%
Wonder Woman 1 2.70%
Rachel Dawes 1 2.70%
Other 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22 2012, 07:41 AM   #31
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Batman's greatest lover?

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Didn't "Batman: The Animated Series" and "Batman Beyond" imply that a relationship between Barbara and Bruce occurred at some point?
They sure did. I remember being grossed out at the time because she used to be Dick's girlfriend. Beyond the whole "Bros before hos," betrayal there's also the whole, "You don't stick your dick in the same hole your son did," creepy incest vibe. Though Bruce may have a loophole since Dick is adopted, though he may have a bigger loophole since in the TAS universe Dick was just his ward. But the emotional bond is father/son so it's just nasty in my mind.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 07:44 AM   #32
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah, I thought so. I remember in I think "Epilogue" we see photos of women that Bruce has cared about. Diana and Babs were among them. I think it was also heavily speculated at the time this was revealed that it could have been the wedge that drove Dick and Bruce apart.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 07:48 AM   #33
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Hard to tell if that was the straw that broke the camels back. By the time of TNBA Dick was kind of living up to his name.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 10:23 PM   #34
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Besides, it makes perfect sense for a 30-something male millionaire to sleep with a teenage boy in a completely platonic way.
I think Michael Jackson was in his 40's for most of that.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 12:26 AM   #35
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Asking what's the best romance in Batman is like asking what's the best fight scene in the Harlequin romance novels. There isn't one - it's just not the genre for it. I've read one or two fanfics that manage a decent romance while keeping Batman true to character and managing to stick pretty close to the action genre, but it's never going to happen in the comics or any other mainstream version of Batman because the target audience isn't interested. "'Cause she's really hot" suffices for the justification for a romance in Batman and that doesn't actually cut it for writing a compelling love story.
Old July 23 2012, 12:32 AM   #36
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Didn't "Batman: The Animated Series" and "Batman Beyond" imply that a relationship between Barbara and Bruce occurred at some point?
They sure did. I remember being grossed out at the time because she used to be Dick's girlfriend.
There's a scene right at the beginning of Mystery of the Batwoman where Barbara calls Bruce and is all flirty with him. I remember having a reaction of "Ewww, that's really weird and creepy."

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 01:43 AM   #37
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Has Rachel Dawes crossed over into the comics?

Does Poison Iyy count when she has him mesmerized with love potions?

If that counts, then I suppose that the Mad Hatter could have just as easily slipped Bruce some tongue over the years if he was so inclined.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 03:34 AM   #38
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

For me it's probably Andrea Beaumont from Mask of the Phantasm.
Old July 23 2012, 03:51 AM   #39
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I voted Selina. I like Zee with him too, but Selina's my favorite match for him. Blame The Animated Series.

I think it was also heavily speculated at the time this was revealed that it could have been the wedge that drove Dick and Bruce apart.
I think this is made explicit in either comics or an episode... something about Dick partnering with Tim for a bit and some backstory being filled in about how Bruce and Dick became bitterly estranged, between Bruce being controlling and Barbara falling in love with him despite the age difference and her prior relationship with Dick. I always liked Timm's Nightwing, even if he was more bitter than the comics version.
Old July 23 2012, 03:57 AM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In English, is it Talia Head, or Talia Demon?

I had a pretty ginger neighbour girl named Talia when I was a boy, but that doesn't mean that Talia isn't (imaginary? )Arabic for something sly?

2 syll. ta-lia, tal-ia ] The baby girl name Talia is also used as a boy name, though it is far more popular for girls. It is pronounced as TAA-LYaa- †. Talia has its origins in the Latin, Hebrew, and Old Greek languages. It is used largely in English, Spanish, Arabic, and Hebrew. From Hebrew roots, its meaning is 'dew from God' - in this context, Talia can be used in the Arabic and Hebrew languages. Derived from the word tal with the meaning 'dew'.
Dew Head?

Not only is it a good translation, the writer who long ago came up with the name (I wasn't reading Batman at the time, so I don't know who -- but I'm sure it was in the comics long before the animated series) stole it from astronomy -- it's the name used for the constellation of Perseus and Medusa's Head used in arabic books, especially the translation of Ptolemy called The Almagest.
Cool.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 03:57 AM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Has Rachel Dawes crossed over into the comics?
As far as I know, Rachel hasn't made it into the comics yet.