TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2012, 04:49 PM   #181
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Yep, that's what they said -- that all the villains will be characters never before portrayed in animation, ranging from recently-created, modern villains like Pyg and Toad all the way back to obscure baddies who appeared once or twice in the Golden Age.

Although I'm still not convinced they'll maintain that practice throughout the entire series. I suspect that after a year or two, once they've given this show time to establish its own voice and identity, they may bring in some of the familiar foes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 07:42 PM   #182
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i want King Tut and Egghead!
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:11 PM   #183
Christopher
Writer

^I'm not sure that DC or Warner Bros. has the rights to villains created for the '66 Batman sitcom (which was a production of Greenway Productions and 20th Century Fox -- that was before WB owned DC, even before it was called DC). Egghead did show up in an issue of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold comic book (the one based on the TV series of that name, not the pre-existing DC Universe title that the show was named after), so maybe DC has the comics rights, but another TV show getting the rights might be a different matter.

Old July 20 2012, 09:38 PM   #184
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Egghead and King Tut appeared in a few episodes of Brave and the Bold as well. i think they were just background characters though.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:53 PM   #185
Christopher
Writer

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
Egghead and King Tut appeared in a few episodes of Brave and the Bold as well. i think they were just background characters though.
There were cameos by a bunch of '66 series villains in "Mayhem of the Music Meister" (I think it was), but they weren't identified by name because of the legal issue. I think that a version of King Tut showed up in something, but it wasn't the same character who appeared in the '66 show; after all, King Tut is the nickname of a real historical figure, so it's not a name that can be copyrighted.

Old July 21 2012, 12:24 AM   #186
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

King Tut, a version anyway, was introduced about 2-3 years ago in Batman Confidential #26 cover date April '09. This is the first official comics version of the character. He's a leaner version, more of a physical threat than the TV version.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:54 AM   #187
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

Having Eddhead in this would be most eggcellent!

(sorry, couldn't resist; would really love to see him and King Tut in the new show)

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 01:10 AM   #188
Christopher
Writer

Without Vincent Price playing him, I don't see much point to Egghead. (Well, of course an egg doesn't have a point, but... oh, you know what I mean!)

Anyway, if the point of the show is to give a showcase to obscure villains who haven't been seen in animation before, I figure they'd also prefer to avoid ones who've appeared in live-action TV.

Old July 21 2012, 01:14 AM   #189
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

Eggs sort of have a point...but, yeah, moving on. Agreed, it wouldn't be the same without Price. But I'm open for a new interpetation.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 01:53 AM   #190
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yep, that's what they said -- that all the villains will be characters never before portrayed in animation, ranging from recently-created, modern villains like Pyg and Toad all the way back to obscure baddies who appeared once or twice in the Golden Age.

Although I'm still not convinced they'll maintain that practice throughout the entire series. I suspect that after a year or two, once they've given this show time to establish its own voice and identity, they may bring in some of the familiar foes.
It's a bold (brave and ?) move, it will be interesting to see if it pays off. Maybe unlike The Batman which took liberties with the mainstays people will be more open minded about this. I'm not so sure though as anything that isn't a continuation from BTAS isn't very warmly received (though a lot of people did end up warming up to Brave and the Bold).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 02:15 AM   #191
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I like lesser known villains. The classic villains are great. But are very repetitive not just in animation in the comics too.

This could expand the richness of the rogues gallery. Before Mr Freeze in BTAS there was The Riddler in the 60s tv series. I believe he had only appeared in 2 issues in his 18 year history before Frank Gorshin played the role in 1966.

A similar case with Bane in the new movie. While he is used often. He will become a household name now. Its a wise choice to do similar with even lesser known characters.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 04:38 AM   #192
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Maybe unlike The Batman which took liberties with the mainstays people will be more open minded about this. I'm not so sure though as anything that isn't a continuation from BTAS isn't very warmly received (though a lot of people did end up warming up to Brave and the Bold).
B:TAS took plenty of liberties of its own -- as any adaptation will and should, since there's no point in doing an adaptation if you're not going to bring something new to it. It introduced new characters like Montoya and Harley, it blended characters and storylines ranging from the '70s to the '90s, it turned Gotham into an Art Deco/'40s-retro setting with modern technology, it totally changed Two-Face's origin and Catwoman's backstory, etc. It's just that B:TAS became so definitive in so many minds that we've forgotten all the ways in which it was revisionist.

So the problem with The Batman wasn't that it took liberties, it was that it had the misfortune of being the first new interpretation of Batman to follow the decade-long run of the DC Animated Universe, so it faced an uphill battle for acceptance. The fact that it was a less ambitious show made it hard for it to measure up to people's expectations.

I think with TB&TB, enough time had passed that audiences had gotten more used to the idea of having continuities other than the DCAU. And it helped that it was a much more creative and distinctive show than The Batman, which was reasonably good but not as inspired as the shows that bookended it.

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
This could expand the richness of the rogues gallery. Before Mr Freeze in BTAS there was The Riddler in the 60s tv series. I believe he had only appeared in 2 issues in his 18 year history before Frank Gorshin played the role in 1966.
Not quite. He first appeared in two 1948 issues, but then appeared again in 1965, when Julius Schwartz reintroduced the supervillains to the comic. In fact, the premiere 2-parter of the '66 series (and Gorshin's debut in the role) was a loose adaptation of that 1965 issue, "The Remarkable Ruse of the Riddler" by Gardner Fox.

Old July 21 2012, 03:04 PM   #193
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So the problem with The Batman wasn't that it took liberties, it was that it had the misfortune of being the first new interpretation of Batman to follow the decade-long run of the DC Animated Universe, so it faced an uphill battle for acceptance. The fact that it was a less ambitious show made it hard for it to measure up to people's expectations.
I just recently watched The Batman straight through for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I like how the show progressed season to season building Batman's world and developing the character growth. My only real gripe was that Two-Face was never used as a villain in the show.

I've not seen Brave and Bold yet. Waiting for full season sets to become available.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 03:57 PM   #194
Christopher
Writer

The Batman was the weakest of the modern Batman animated shows to date (at least, the ones about Bruce Wayne as Batman -- I was never that crazy about Batman Beyond), but only because the others were so strong. Taken on its own merits, it's not bad, and has a lot of interesting elements. I do think it got stronger later in its run -- in particular, it did a Riddler origin episode that felt more like a classic B:TAS story than B:TAS's own Riddler origin did -- but at the same time, I disliked it when they abandoned the show's unique elements (Ellen Yin, Chief Rojas, the Batwave) and brought the show more into conformity with the classic approach. I mean, I would've been okay with them bringing in Commissioner Gordon and Batgirl and such, but they should've kept Yin, who was a cool character.

Last edited by Christopher; July 21 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old July 21 2012, 04:55 PM   #195
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Batman Begins was animated?
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote