Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 21 2012, 02:26 AM   #4216
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

BillJ wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if they resized the Stargazer from "The Battle"?
Good question...
Old July 21 2012, 02:29 AM   #4217
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Good question...
Nope, same size.
Old July 21 2012, 02:34 AM   #4218
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Good question...
Nope, same size.
One change I was hoping they'd make.
Old July 21 2012, 03:34 AM   #4219
mswood
Rear Admiral

Its interesting the Stargazer i think is the only significant vessel we have yet to see an external HD image of.
Old July 21 2012, 10:13 AM   #4220
Auslauks
Cadet

Has anyone seen this: Star Trek The Next Generation Season I, Collector's Edition?

It looks like a german-only steelbook packaging with an exclusive pin and a code. When one has the codes from all seven CE sets, one can redeem them for a pin case.
Old July 21 2012, 11:24 AM   #4221
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Great idea in theory, shame several of the characters don't match their seasons!
Old July 21 2012, 11:27 AM   #4222
SillyTilly
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My copy of Series 1 has just arrived. Really can't wait to delve in
Old July 21 2012, 03:10 PM   #4223
Ometiklan
Commander

I was just reading some of the comments on the Amazon listing for season one, and someone mentioned "Shades of Grey" as the worst episode of TNG. That made me think that with the reediting of "Measure of a Man" I wonder if Paramount would be able and willing to do a reedit of "Shades of Grey" using unseen (i.e., cut) footage from other first and second season episodes. That way it could be a clip show "with all new material" like what Community did with its "clip show".

If anyone from Paramount is reading this, feel free to implement this post haste.
Old July 21 2012, 03:15 PM   #4224
Dukhat
Commodore

Ometiklan wrote: View Post
I was just reading some of the comments on the Amazon listing for season one, and someone mentioned "Shades of Grey" as the worst episode of TNG. That made me think that with the reediting of "Measure of a Man" I wonder if Paramount would be able and willing to do a reedit of "Shades of Grey" using unseen (i.e., cut) footage from other first and second season episodes. That way it could be a clip show "with all new material" like what Community did with its "clip show".

If anyone from Paramount is reading this, feel free to implement this post haste.
Why? What's the point? The episode was what it was. Why spend a lot of time trying to make an episode completely different just because people didn't like it? If they really cared about something like that, it would be easier to just not include the episode instead of trying to radically change it. Using different clips isn't going to change the fact that it still was a clip episode. Measure of a Man got the edit it did because there was extra footage that someone thought we might like to see. There was no extra footage for Shades of Gray.

Hell, I'd rather they completely remake Nemesis instead of one forgettable TNG episode.
Old July 21 2012, 03:37 PM   #4225
Sho
Fleet Captain

Thanks!

The first shot of Lonely is actually the first time I'm slightly disappointed in the new compositing: In the original the clouds are multi-layered, with some of them overlapping the ship, in the new one it's just background. I anticipated this, however, which is why I asked for a cap of it for confirmation.

The rest is stunning though!
Old July 21 2012, 03:51 PM   #4226
Sho
Fleet Captain

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Hmm, this is another one where I think the original has some elements that are a bit stronger, in particular I like the blue edge highlights on Data that are gone in the new composite.

Love how those sparks look in HD though!
Old July 21 2012, 05:45 PM   #4227
Captrek
Rear Admiral

What are the legal options (in the US) for seeing TNG:R without paying $60/season for the discs?

I have seen no indication that Netflix will have it, either on streaming or on disc, nor that it is scheduled for TV broadcast.
Old July 21 2012, 06:06 PM   #4228
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Sho wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Requests filled for Sho:

Lonely Among Us -
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/trekb...ts/lonely1.jpg
Thanks!

The first shot of Lonely is actually the first time I'm slightly disappointed in the new compositing: In the original the clouds are multi-layered, with some of them overlapping the ship, in the new one it's just background. I anticipated this, however, which is why I asked for a cap of it for confirmation.
Looks to me like the cloud is covering the saucer closest to it. There's a definite purple discoloration there, it's not as prominent as the original but it is there.
Old July 21 2012, 06:12 PM   #4229
Sho
Fleet Captain

You're right, there might be a tiny little overlap there after all.

But even if there isn't, let me be clear that this isn't a deal breaker. I think this is a case where they had a hard choice to make: If you were to recreate the original composite in HD, I think I'd look pretty goofy. It would become apparent just how nutty that front cloud looks in terms scale. For a good-looking multi-layered nebula effect at HD res they would have needed to create substantial new VFX, which then would look out of place again. So I actually think this is probably the best decision they could have made under the circumstances.
Old July 21 2012, 06:13 PM   #4230
NewHorizon
Captain

[QUOTE=Sho;6674435]
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

The first shot of Lonely is actually the first time I'm slightly disappointed in the new compositing: In the original the clouds are multi-layered, with some of them overlapping the ship, in the new one it's just background.
Do we know the entire shot is like this? Perhaps the layering is just slightly different?

If not, then I think this is the type of thing we will end up seeing from time to time due to time constraints. Tired eyes will miss things like this. I'm not in that big of a hurry to get the sets that the quality needs to suffer. Take your time CBS, don't let too many issues like this slip through.
Closed Thread