Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2012, 02:15 AM   #1
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Death(s) of Robin

Any thoughts on why this image, dating back to the 40s, has become so very iconic?

Old July 21 2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: Death(s) of Robin

Probably because of how famous a part of the Batman mythos Robin is. Also due to his age and if he did die how great a loss it would be to Batman. Bruce became Batman due to the deaths of his own parents. If a boy he sees as a son where killed it would be as great a loss. Its symbolism.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Probably because of how famous a part of the Batman mythos Robin is. Also due to his age and if he did die how great a loss it would be to Batman. Bruce became Batman due to the deaths of his own parents. If a boy he sees as a son where killed it would be as great a loss. Its symbolism.
Well, if he was really concerned about Robin he'd probably dress him in something else besides tights and a pair of hot pants.

Last edited by Trekker4747; July 21 2012 at 03:17 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 05:43 AM   #4
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Pieta

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Well, if he was really concerned about Robin he'd probably dress him in something else besides tights and a pair of hot pants.
Well if he was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally concerned for Robin he probably wouldn't take him out every night to brawl with hardened criminals twice his age and fives times his size.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Any thoughts on why this image, dating back to the 40s, has become so very iconic?

With the exception of the first two images, all of the others are just reprints/reproductions of the iconic image from "A Death in the Family." It should be pointed out that you can find a similar let of pictures that reproduce the iconic image from Crisis on Infinite Earths with Superman holding Supergirl in a similar pose when she died. Superhero deaths, especially if they stick for any length of time, are usually done in iconic imagery. The image is meant to be memorable.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 06:25 AM   #7
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Incredibly, I hadn't even thought about that. Shame on me.

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
It should be pointed out that you can find a similar let of pictures that reproduce the iconic image from Crisis on Infinite Earths with Superman holding Supergirl in a similar pose when she died.
Yes. All three images (Jesus, Robin, Supergirl) seem to be of a parent (figure) holding their own slain child (figure) - someone they had responsibility for. It's not just two superheroes. It wouldn't be the same if it were Batman holding a slain Superman. It seems to me there's an instant attribution of the survivor's responsibility for the life - and therefore the death - of the child figure.
Just pulling this out of my ass as I go. More thoughts welcome.
Old July 21 2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

It also seems to have become a form of commentary in some recent cases. Since Jason Todd's death that the very idea of Robin, Batman having a child sidekick, is outdated.
Old July 21 2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I read a Robin once where the Joker says that he's so incredibly sure he's killed Robin dozens of times that he's starting to believe that Robin never existed and the entire concept is some twisted dellusion.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Yes. All three images (Jesus, Robin, Supergirl) seem to be of a parent (figure) holding their own slain child (figure) - someone they had responsibility for. It's not just two superheroes. It wouldn't be the same if it were Batman holding a slain Superman. It seems to me there's an instant attribution of the survivor's responsibility for the life - and therefore the death - of the child figure.
There's the scene in Final Crisis where Superman carries Batman's body, I suppose.
Old July 21 2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
There's the scene in Final Crisis where Superman carries Batman's body, I suppose.
Which is actually the cover of the novelization.
Old July 21 2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Bump for what I was also going to post.

The image's iconic quality predates Batman/Robin. The image of a broken person being held by their loved one is enduring, most prominently in the religious imagery of the Pieta. It's been reused and recycled extensively over the centuries in other contexts. You see it across lots of movies and TV shows too. They may not necessarily know what they're referencing, but all these similarly symbolic portrayals work together to cement its enduring nature.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2012, 07:07 AM   #13
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
It also seems to have become a form of commentary in some recent cases. Since Jason Todd's death that the very idea of Robin, Batman having a child sidekick, is outdated.
What of the death of Bucky?

This is really interesting. Are all sidekicks outdated now? What really is the purpose of the sidekick?
Some sidekicks give us entre into the world of the hero. Watson was not only a normal guy with whom the reader could identify, he was the narrator and chronicler of Holmes's adventures. Robin, and the spate of young sidekicks at the time (Speedy, Bucky, Butch, Boy, Jimmy Olson, and later Aqualad, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl) also were intended to give the young comic reader someone to relate to in these stories - to feel that they were in on the adventure. And, despite the bullets flying and wartime context, the tone was generally light (indeed, the advent of Robin lightened up the tone of Batman considerably, his origin notwithstanding) and the danger a fanciful abstraction.

Sidekicks also served the function of providing contrast for the hero's extraordinary skills. Holmes famously remarked to Watson, "It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but you are a conductor of light. Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it...When I said that you stimulated me I meant, to be frank, that in noting your fallacies I was occasionally guided towards the truth."
Sidekicks are always inferior to the hero -- either they are a comic figure like Doiby Dickles or Cisco Kid's Pancho, a youth like Robin, a racial minority like Kato or Tonto - basically someone who, even when competent, could in no way compete with the hero for the limelight. Of course, the advent of racial justice and the rise of the anti-hero did a lot to change that dynamic.

So, between the "darkening" of comics and the erosion of the classic worship of the hero, are all sidekicks outdated at this point?
Old July 22 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Not sidekicks in general but Batman's having a child sidekick!

He's going out there and fighting armed thugs, murderous maniacs and people bent on destroying Gotham and as an aide Batman brings a twelve year old boy in hot pants to help?

It doesn't really fit or make sense.

Robin as a sidekick is very, very different than Holmes having with him an intellectual near-equal, adult, doctor.

As for other child or child-like sidekicks, I don't think they fit well either. Jimmy Olson was a tool and probably more annoying to Superman than as a helpful "sidekick." And the idea of putting a child into a movie to give child-readers someone to connect with is the type of stupid thinking that gets us Short Round and a young child Darth Vader.

When kids read these stories or watch these movies they don't want to be a child hanging out with the superhero or the hero they want to BE the hero. It wasn't "Gosh! I wish I could hang out with Batman in a pair of pantyhose and help him kick the ass of murderous thugs while mostly being ineffectual and end up getting caught to give Batman more of motive to do his self-appointed job!" it was "Man! I wish I could be Batman and an unstoppable bad ass kicking the ass of murderous thugs!"

A late teens or 20-something Robin would make a touch more sense and being more acceptable, but a child is just an idea that I think has gotten harder and harder to swallow over time.
Old July 22 2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Well don't forget for much of Batman's early publishing history he was read by a younger audience than today. He fought outlandish crimimials who robbed banks and did not kill people. That was there in the beginning but went away around the time Robin first appeared.