Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20 2012, 09:32 PM   #76
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

I honestly hope that the next Batman movie just kinda skims over the origin in the credits or in a brief prologue, like the "Incredible Hulk."
Old July 20 2012, 09:56 PM   #77
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

It's an excellent next chapter in Nolan's trilogy. It's really more of a sequel to BB than TDK though, and that makes the overall series more defined and well rounded.

It was basically impossible to top Ledger's Joker, but the Bane character was a great choice and Hardy gave him a believable persona. Hathaway worried some people, but this is the best Catwoman we've seen.

There were a couple things that seemed a bit off though. This is the first Batman movie where Batman doesn't drive the Batmobile/tank, but they give him a cool new toy so that was ok. I wish they would have said Richard Grayson, but they gave us a cool treat nonetheless. The falling out with Alfred wasn't pleasant, but they got it right in the end.

The ending is excellent but it's sort of painful for me though. They lay the groundwork for more stories, but this is supposed to be it.

My only regret now is that we don't get to see the Riddler in Nolan's universe. After seeing it though, it's understandable why Nolan chose Bane.

Great trilogy.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 10:43 PM   #78
Aldo
Admiral

I could sit here and bore everyone with a long "review" but I thought I'd be brief:

First off, I loved it, that goes without saying. It certainly didn't feel as long as it did.

The moment that I geeked out (literally, I was practically creaming myself), was when Batman had Gordon light up the Bat Symbol on the bridge, that was one of the coolest moments I've seen in any film!

I still can't quite put my finger on it, but I felt something was off about Hathaway. She didn't seem to have very good presence, and her character didn't really feel necessary to the story (aside from being the catalyst to get Bruce to become Batman again).
Old July 20 2012, 11:01 PM   #79
Agent Richard07
Admiral

About The Dark Knight...

- I saw it again last night for the first time since 2008. I absolutely loved it back then, but this time around, it did seem a little more bogged down in politics than I remember, especially at the beginning.

- Nolan did a great job of using the right camera work to make the Joker look scary and psychotic. This was especially evident in those video messages.

- Maggie Gyllenhaal is way hotter than I remember and has a great figure.

More on The Dark Knight Rises...

Spoilers ahead!

- It was a good balance between the political thrill we got with The Dark Knight and the comic book feel we got with Batman Begins.

- When Batman was flying the bomb out to sea, how and when did he get out of the Bat?

-As I said above, I wondered if Dick Grayson would get some sort of mention, and before I saw the movie, this is how I thought it should have gone down... I thought it should have been revealed that during the 8-year gap, Bruce had a ward named Dick Grayson who lived at Wayne manor, but went off to college at some point. We wouldn't have actually seen him, but maybe we'd have Alfred talking to him on the phone.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 11:03 PM   #80
Procutus
Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
I loved it. Loved that President Henry Hayes from Stargate SG-1 was the President in the Dark Knight Rises.

According to IMDB, Christopher Judge has a small part in it as well.
Old July 20 2012, 11:06 PM   #81
Agent Richard07
Admiral

M-Red wrote: View Post
My only regret now is that we don't get to see the Riddler in Nolan's universe.
Just imagine Leonardo Di Caprio in the part.

Aldo wrote: View Post
I still can't quite put my finger on it, but I felt something was off about Hathaway. She didn't seem to have very good presence, and her character didn't really feel necessary to the story (aside from being the catalyst to get Bruce to become Batman again).
Nolan does tend to cast against type, plus he tends to cast young-ish looking people. And personally, I don't think any big-name actress right now really makes for the ideal Catwoman. Maybe that has something to do with it. She still exceded my expectations though.
Old July 20 2012, 11:24 PM   #82
C_Miller
Captain

I just wish they had called the Joseph Gordon Levitt character Dick Grayson and called it a day. From what I can tell, the only reason they didn't was to put in that "Robin" surprise at the end to elicit cheers from the audience (which it did), but Nolan is usually better than that.

Dick Grayson was an orphan who had a deep connection to Bruce Wayne (the reason he took up the costume in the first place is because they saw a similarity in themselves). He also later became a cop and took up the name of Batman at least twice in the 70 year history of the comics.

As a comic book fan, part of the appeal of these comic book movies is seeing your favorite characters up on the big screen and Dick Grayson is one of my favorite comic book characters of all time. And on top of it, I thought it was a perfect portrayal of a Robin type character in terms of the Nolan-verse.

Otherwise I loved the movie. As someone who thought that Nolan avoided the comics more than I'd like, I found this to be a pleasant surprise bringing in elements from a lot of comic book stories such as Officer Down, No Man's Land and probably most obvious Knightfall. And there was even a little bit of Morrison in there with Talia being the real bad guy as per the current Leviathan story and someone taking over as Batman. I also loved the updating of the Lazarus Pit.

While it wasn't a perfect movie, I thought it was a very fitting ending to the series. And I think that this could stand as the most consistently good trilogy of all time. And the Dick Grayson/John Blake thing stands as my only major gripe.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 11:30 PM   #83
Relayer1
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Bringing back Bruce Wayne would be awful.
It's inevitable that the Batman in the Justice League will be Bruce Wayne so they either bring him back or start again.

Nolans films are hardly so good that they are too sacred to retcon ! Were talking good but flawed, at least for 1 and 3...Bruce could easily come back in 4.

I'm sick to death of reboot mania - we're about ten years away from the studio's remaking the same few films every five years !
Old July 20 2012, 11:35 PM   #84
Agent Richard07
Admiral

They can do other Nolanverse movies without Batman. They can do Catwoman or something with John Blake. They could even do "Batgirl Begins". I'm sure Gary Oldman would love to come back for more.
Old July 20 2012, 11:36 PM   #85
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Nolans films are hardly so good that they are too sacred to retcon !
That's distinctly a minority opinion. Particularly since the WB undoubtedly wants to preserve their working relationship with Nolan, who makes very profitable movies.

Any new Batman films or a Batman in a JL movie will be a new continuity.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 11:56 PM   #86
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I went it with somewhat low expectations given some of the reviews. Also a down feeling given the events of today.

But I really liked it a LOT much more than I thought I would. It really moves fast for such a long film. Sure there are things that could have been different but I was very pleased.

Its amazing how many elements of final Batman stories or near final Batman stories there were.

Dark Knight Returns
Knightfall
Robin(possibly) inheriting the mantle\
Bruce and Selia together
Old comics had ALfred writing imaginary stories of Bruce's future

My only minor gripe is Robin's name. Clearly to be a surprise. How many people in a general audience would have gotten the reference of his first name being Richard or Dick.

There is a way to explain it. He was in an orphanage and raised in different foster homes. John Blake might not be his birth name.
Dick Whitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:02 AM   #87
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The next movie probably wont be for a few years, and will almost certainly take place in a different continuity. I imagine we're still fresh enough to avoid the origin story though, instead just throwing us into a world where Batman has been around for a couple years but is still something of a myth. '89 did this, and could have easily told the same story without the few moments of flashback origin stuff thrown in.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:11 AM   #88
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Given the way the Nolans and Goyer ended the story, the ONLY possible avenue whereby this particular version of the Batman mythos can continue is through Joseph Gordon-Leavitt's character.It is POSSIBLE that a variation on Batman Beyond could be attempted set in the same continuity, but there would need to be major alterations made to the Batman Beyond mythos if they were to go that route.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:19 AM   #89
C_Miller
Captain

Honestly this was such a good ending, I'd rather have a reboot than a sequel where Bruce goes back to being Batman (or especially a retcon where the end of this film never happened).

Plus, if their goal is to do a Justice League movie, they need to set up a Batman who can believably fight along side Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern. Bale's Batman showed hints of this in DKR, but overall, he's not especially adept at fighting or smart. He needs to be both of those things if he's to make sense in the JL.
Old July 21 2012, 12:22 AM   #90
C_Miller
Captain

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
There is a way to explain it. He was in an orphanage and raised in different foster homes. John Blake might not be his birth name.

Or Richard Blake. Blake being his mother's maiden name that he took after his father died or something. His father's name being Grayson.