Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2012, 09:19 AM   #271
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

My second favorite movie. I have the special edition with the little Robby the Robot.

I peeked in at TCM in the middle of the day earlier in the week and One Million BC was on-- not One Million Years BC with Racquel Welch, but the original One Million BC with Victor Mature and Carole Landis. Great movie. I wish that one would come out on DVD.
Old July 20 2012, 01:33 PM   #272
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I first saw FP at a Trek convention in NYC in 1975 at age 13... it's been one of my favorites ever since. It plays so much like a lost TOS episode!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 02:59 PM   #273
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Coming up this weekend: "Near Dark," "Fearless Vampire Killers," the original "Rollerball," and, of course, more "Green Hornet."
Old July 20 2012, 04:14 PM   #274
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Near Dark was ahead of its time, it's seems very contemporary for an 80s movie. Bill Paxton is deliciously evil. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow of the recently acclaimed The Hurt Locker. I haven't seen that in a while I might check it out again.

If you have IFC, they have The Brain Eaters, the original Invaders From Mars and Kingdom of the Spiders with Shatner on their Saturday Drive-In at noon EST.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 07:14 PM   #275
Harvey
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I peeked in at TCM in the middle of the day earlier in the week and One Million BC was on-- not One Million Years BC with Racquel Welch, but the original One Million BC with Victor Mature and Carole Landis. Great movie. I wish that one would come out on DVD.
I saw about twenty minutes of a print of it, but was thoroughly bored. It is notable for being the last film that D.W. Griffith was involved with, although he left the project before filming, so his involvement was limited.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 07:44 PM   #276
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Near Dark was ahead of its time, it's seems very contemporary for an 80s movie. Bill Paxton is deliciously evil. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow of the recently acclaimed The Hurt Locker. I haven't seen that in a while I might check it out again..
"Near Dark" is, far and way, the best vampire movie of the eighties.

It always bothered me that it was eclipsed by "The Lost Boys," commercially and in the popular imagination. "The Lost Boys" is certainly an entertaining film, but "Near Dark" is vastly better . . . .
Old July 21 2012, 09:30 AM   #277
RJDiogenes

There's also a cartoon called Destination Earth coming up in about an hour. I never heard of it, but I'm curious. It's from 1956.

Klaus wrote: View Post
I first saw FP at a Trek convention in NYC in 1975 at age 13... it's been one of my favorites ever since. It plays so much like a lost TOS episode!
Indeed. The first time I saw it was in 1969 on Channel 56, about the same time I started watching Trek.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I saw about twenty minutes of a print of it, but was thoroughly bored. It is notable for being the last film that D.W. Griffith was involved with, although he left the project before filming, so his involvement was limited.
Sorry you didn't like it. I find old stuff like that appealing, and Victor Mature and Carole Landis are great.
Old July 21 2012, 06:10 PM   #278
Christopher
Writer

Some questions occur to me after this week's Green Hornet serial chapters...

How many times have they used that same sound clip of the Hornet saying, "It's no use, you haven't a chance!" while fighting the bad guys? Was that some sort of catchphrase for the character on the radio or something?

How is it that when the Black Beauty (finally named in dialogue in Ch. 9) drives into the garage, it's facing the back wall, yet when they come back down to the garage, it's suddenly facing the doors? There's no room in there for a turntable.

Why does the Black Beauty have license plates? Can't the cops use the license number to track down the car's ownership?

And this is something like the third time the crooks have used "the old Martinson place" as a base of operations, or in this case, a trap. Cheaper than building new sets, I guess.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 06:16 PM   #279
RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
There's also a cartoon called Destination Earth coming up in about an hour. I never heard of it, but I'm curious. It's from 1956.
Meh. It was an "educational" film about the petroleum industry with Cold War overtones of capitalism versus communism. Not really worth it.
Old July 21 2012, 06:24 PM   #280
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
How is it that when the Black Beauty (finally named in dialogue in Ch. 9) drives into the garage, it's facing the back wall, yet when they come back down to the garage, it's suddenly facing the doors? There's no room in there for a turntable.
They must have used that Bond method for getting his car to change angles on two wheels in a narrow alley in Diamonds Are Forever.

Why does the Black Beauty have license plates? Can't the cops use the license number to track down the car's ownership?
Maybe it keeps them from being pulled over casually? Surely they're not legit plates?
Old July 21 2012, 08:57 PM   #281
Christopher
Writer

I just saw Rollerball, a film I've never seen before. Not bad, kind of an interesting corporate-dystopia story in a '70s kind of way, and with some decent moments of satire and humor. But there was some heavy-handed exposition here and there, and the sequence with the central computer was about as silly as other such sequences in '70s dystopian movies (although at least this computer didn't blow up and cause the whole society to collapse the moment it was faced with a paradox; it just sat there and bubbled). And the problem with dystopian movies is that sometimes there aren't really any likeable or admirable characters. Hard to cheer for Jonathan's half-hearted defiance of the system when he has no problem participating in the murderous bloodsport the system created, or to care about the fate of John Beck's character when he was such a casual racist.

Perhaps the most dead-on bit of futurism in the movie was anticipating the technology to have the same program showing on TVs in every room of your home. I see commercials these days that look a lot like that scene.

Old July 21 2012, 10:10 PM   #282
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The computer scientist in Rollerball deals with computers the same way I do and got about the same results.

Jonathan E wasn't just handed his fate, he errrrrnrd it.

I realized I never watched this movie all the way through, and man, does it ever drag out by the end! It's too bad it's straddled with the 70s roller derby fad following Kansas City Bomber and Unholy Rollers. James Caan is no Raquel Welch or Claudia Jennings and it's always been a bit cheesy.

EDIT: I had forgotten to mention the scene with the decadent rich blowing up trees, I've always found that scene memorable and a bit haunting.

Near Dark still holds up well and that bar scene is still pretty memorable. Barely recognized Adrian Pasdar in the lead, he didn't even sound the same.

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; July 22 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old July 21 2012, 10:22 PM   #283
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Jonathan E wasn't just handed his fate, he errrrrnrd it.
Wow, showing your age with that reference. And so am I by getting it.

But that's one thing that bugged me. What was his fate?

Old July 21 2012, 10:27 PM   #284
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think it's probably meant to be a pyrrhic or ambiguous "victory". A lot of 70s films have bleak endings.
Old July 22 2012, 05:02 AM   #285
sojourner
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

Perhaps the most dead-on bit of futurism in the movie was anticipating the technology to have the same program showing on TVs in every room of your home. I see commercials these days that look a lot like that scene.
Having missed the movie, I may not be getting the full implication of your statement here. I've always been able to tune multiple TV's to the same channel. Do you mean it was some kind of on demand thing?