Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 5 2012, 11:36 AM   #286
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

I will say that it has gotten better since the first act. I know this is basically Bendis' swan song (along with Age of Ultron) but I think it would have served the story structure better had Jason Aaron or Jonathan Hickman written the opening act. That whole first act almost felt like "Fear Itself" again with the way it was structured and paced. Also for the most part the tie-ins have been better than the actual series IMO.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 03:45 AM   #287
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

While not as good as Issue 6, Issue 7 of Avengers vs X-Men is another welcome addition to this storyline. I only hope it can be sustained as it goes along.

Leave it to Fraction to write a sympathetic Cyclops. Out of all of them, Peter should be the most peaceful of them (although he's been largely ignored) with Scott behind him. It makes sense for Namor and Emma to be the most corrupted by the Phoenix's power.

Once again, the tie-ins seem to do a better job of explaining certain details, like why the regular X-Men are going along with the Phoenix Five. On the Avengers side, Black Panther is easily coming across the strongest while Steve still seems like a complete douche.

As for Hawkeye, well, he deserved a beatdown from all the years of his "my shit doesn't smell" attitude.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 04:21 AM   #288
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You don't think being murdered in Avengers dissassembled didn't soak the lad in a little humility?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 04:51 AM   #289
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Wasn't that a Skrull Hawkeye that was killed?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 05:07 AM   #290
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Nope.

Mocking bird was the skrull.

Barton got brought back with House of M.

He was almost brought back a year earlier in a time travel adventure in Dan Slott's Shehulk but, horseshoes and hand grenades, that's neither here nor there.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; July 6 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old July 12 2012, 01:09 AM   #291
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

New Avengers 28 was kinda "meh". It was an entertaining enough read showing us the details of Hawkeye, Spider-Woman and Luke Cage's imprisonment at Utopia and their attempt at escape, but the twist at the end,...

Ultimately, the story went nowhere, literally ending right where it began.
Old July 12 2012, 01:58 AM   #292
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Shit. I lost a day. I thought comics came out tomorrow.

Old July 12 2012, 02:50 AM   #293
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Out today, AVX Vs. #4:
-THE PREMIERE AVENGERS VS. X-MEN TIE-IN! Two incredible fights every issue, torn from the pages of AvX.
-Daredevil vs. Psylocke! By Rick Remender (UNCANNY X-FORCE) and Brandon Peterson (NEW AVENGERS, UNCANNY X-MEN)!
-Thor vs. Emma Frost by Kaare Andrews (ULTIMATE COMICS covers, SPIDER-MAN: REIGN)!
This series continues to be utterly pointless.

In the first story, Daredevil is minding his own business in Hell's Kitchen when Psylocke attacks him. They're pretty evenly matched, and the fight ends in a draw.

In the second story, Thor and Phoenix-Frost tangle. The artwork is nice. The story... Well, Thor disables Emma Frost when she tries to read his mind (his god-mind is too much for god-powered Emma Frost), but she recovers by turning herself into diamond. Thor smashes Diamond-Emma in a billion little pieces, and these pieces rain down on Thor and rip through his body leaving him broken while the pieces come back together and turn back into Emma.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 02:56 AM   #294
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Daredevil should be bale to fight without thinking and psylocke could utterly frakk him up by giving him his sight back through her eyes.

Matt should have let her punch him once, and then taken Braddock Manor.

Old July 18 2012, 11:00 PM   #295
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

So, after being defeated by the Avengers in Wakanda, the Phoenix Force abandons Namor and splits its power amongst the remaining four hosts. I think it pretty clear that Emma is by far the host most corrupted by the Phoenix. Given that the cover to AvX 11 depicts...

I liked the issue cover, which was a call back to the Byrne/Austin cover of Uncanny X-Men 135, the first issue of the first Dark Phoenix saga.

I have to admit that I was pretty firmly on the X-Men's side before the events on the moon, but the power of the Phoenix is a proven corruptor. Pretty much only Rachael has been able to control it for the most part. I have to ask that if Cyclops thought that the power of the Phoenix could re-ignite the muitant species, then why hasn't he taken any steps in that regard?

Interestingly, today's issue of Fantastic Four had a direct connection to the events of this issue of AvX. Enough so that, if this had been done in the day of Crisis on Infinite Earths or Secret Wars II, it probably would have been advertised as a crossover.
Old July 19 2012, 02:22 AM   #296
Aldo
Admiral

I wish their was more of an explanation of why the Phoenix Force left Namor, but I suppose it isn't really necessary. He got beat down, and it abandoned him, I'm sure it's just as simple as that.

I am curious what Xavier has in store. It's pretty apparent he's been holding back, hoping for a better outcome to all this, but he's at the point where I'm sure he realizes that won't happen.
Old July 19 2012, 06:02 PM   #297
Mr Light
Admiral

I was confused as well, I thought that Iron Man and Black Panther did something to Namor to remove the Phoenix, but they didn't show that happening...

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 02:32 AM   #298
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's the same rules as Survivor.

The tribe has spoken.

Split in 5 isn't exactly ideal.

The Pheonix doesn't like Losers.

Old July 20 2012, 11:45 AM   #299
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah, as Guy stated, the Phoenix doesn't like losers, it craves power and emotion, and once Namor got the snot kicked out of him, it transferred what it bestowed upon him to the others.

Well this was a Bendis written issue. Characterization was pretty much what you'd expect. Spider-Man was once again used as inappropriate comic fodder during serious situations, this is driving me nuts with Bendis. How he can write him so well in "Spider-Men" and still continue to write a caricature of him in 616 is baffling. They're not even funny jokes for the most part, he just has Peter babbling. The attack on Wakanda was pretty severe. Probably influenced by the Phoenix force, Namor has always been an emotional person and prone to action, the entity probably found him to be one of the easier Utopians to corrupt and influence. I don't have much else to say about this issue. The Spider-Man centric issue is next up...it will be interesting to see how they use Peter in this. The solicits suggest that it is up to Spider-Man now...and have a cover featuring Spidey's torn costume and injured.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 02:47 PM   #300
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Iron Man vs. Magneto, that would be interesting.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote