RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,173
Posts: 5,435,407
Members: 24,942
Currently online: 508
Newest member: ks55

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 19 2012, 04:57 PM   #271
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07
 
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

I thought that Ann defending Rebecca was bad writing, but it made sense after we found out that she has a secret too. From the pictures that were burning, I'm guessing that she has a kid who will show up at some point. And like I said last week, John Ross is certainly learning about the oil business. I'm wondering if J.R. has anything to do with this. If so, it's definately not the kind of mentoring I was expecting.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 05:09 PM   #272
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral
 
Adm. Maleficent's Avatar
 
Location: In Admiral2's Business
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

wissaboo wrote: View Post
have to say they are moving the plot along at lightening speed

I like the developents with Ann
I love Brenda Strong, and I'm glad her part's becoming more than just Bobby's wife...and it's nice to see Mitch pileggi in a role that doesn't involve aliens, even if he's playing an ass...
__________________
"No power in the universe may break my spell!"

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 05:15 PM   #273
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

But he saw the camera.

the camera recorded himself leaving when she as still alive.

Other cameras in the hotel would track him in the hotel and compare the camera footage of her falling with him going downstairs... Unless she just instantly topped herself there's a timetable at work he can p[lace himself outside of.

he's an idiot to leave the crime scene and he's an idiot not to know that he's innocent in theeyes of the l;aw once the CSI frakks have done their due diligence who trump the fuck out of profilers talking about motive and patterns.

The only reason people noticed him is becuase he didn't rubber neck and he did freak out.

If he would have justifyed there filling up his wank bank like the rest of those ribes he would havebeen fine.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 07:32 PM   #274
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral
 
Adm. Maleficent's Avatar
 
Location: In Admiral2's Business
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
But he saw the camera.

the camera recorded himself leaving when she as still alive.

Other cameras in the hotel would track him in the hotel and compare the camera footage of her falling with him going downstairs... Unless she just instantly topped herself there's a timetable at work he can p[lace himself outside of.

he's an idiot to leave the crime scene and he's an idiot not to know that he's innocent in theeyes of the l;aw once the CSI frakks have done their due diligence who trump the fuck out of profilers talking about motive and patterns.

The only reason people noticed him is becuase he didn't rubber neck and he did freak out.

If he would have justifyed there filling up his wank bank like the rest of those ribes he would havebeen fine.
Yes, but you forget he's in a three-way excrement sandwich and isn't thinking straight. One side of the sandwich got taken care of, but he thinks that just added a new side to the sandwich.
__________________
"No power in the universe may break my spell!"

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:40 PM   #275
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

John Ross is a dimwit, that's the only way his actions make sense. But that's why JR threw him into the deep end of the pool. He wants to either force him to smarten up or drown and no longer embarrass the family name.

Ann's big terrible secret is that she drove drunk and got her daughter killed in a crash. What a soap this is! Still I can't stop watching. Brain candy.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:43 PM   #276
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

Ann's big terrible secret is that she drove drunk and got her daughter killed in a crash. What a soap this is! Still I can't stop watching. Brain candy.
How do you know that? Did they reveal it in the last episode? I just watched it online, and apart from the picture of Ann and the baby burning in the fireplace, there wasn't any specification as to what Ann's hidden secret/trauma is.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:51 PM   #277
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

Ann's big terrible secret is that she drove drunk and got her daughter killed in a crash. What a soap this is! Still I can't stop watching. Brain candy.
what did you think it was supposed to be? it's always been a soap.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 08:52 PM   #278
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral
 
Adm. Maleficent's Avatar
 
Location: In Admiral2's Business
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
John Ross is a dimwit, that's the only way his actions make sense. But that's why JR threw him into the deep end of the pool. He wants to either force him to smarten up or drown and no longer embarrass the family name.
Here's a lesson from the real John Ross about how stuff works:

__________________
"No power in the universe may break my spell!"

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 09:00 PM   #279
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
John Ross is a dimwit, that's the only way his actions make sense. But that's why JR threw him into the deep end of the pool. He wants to either force him to smarten up or drown and no longer embarrass the family name.
Here's a lesson from the real John Ross about how stuff works:

I'm pretty sure J.R. said the same thing to John Ross a few episodes ago, obviously the writers hocking from this scene.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 09:02 PM   #280
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral
 
Adm. Maleficent's Avatar
 
Location: In Admiral2's Business
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
John Ross is a dimwit, that's the only way his actions make sense. But that's why JR threw him into the deep end of the pool. He wants to either force him to smarten up or drown and no longer embarrass the family name.
Here's a lesson from the real John Ross about how stuff works:
I'm pretty sure J.R. said the same thing to John Ross a few episodes ago, obviously the writers hocking from this scene.
Likely, but my thinking is Young John Ross hasn't quite figured it out yet, hence his continued stupidity.
__________________
"No power in the universe may break my spell!"

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 09:08 PM   #281
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Going back to the old show, one scene which always stuck out in my mind and which has always been, I think, one of those "earned" moments over the years was the aftermath of Tommy McKay beating up April Stevens.

Enraged, Bobby went to McKay's house where he found Tommy and his sister, Tracy (who Bobby had been dating at the time.) Bobby summarily beats the shit out of Tommy.

Bobby then goes to the hospital, where he runs in to Cliff and J.R. and they confer about April and Tommy McKay, as each of them have their own special relationship with April, they're obviously concerned for her well-being.

Carter McKay (Tommy's dad) then arrives, warning Bobby and then threatening him, and storming off.

The last shot of the video here (it was also the last shot of the episode) winds up being a simple pullback starting on Bobby, then including Cliff, and finally J.R. For three characters who never, ever saw eye to eye all the time (let alone any time before this), it was a great moment and one that benefited from seeing these three fight for over ten years, finally uniting (even if for only a moment) with that single, last shot. I liked it so much I even made an avatar of it once! Might be time to switch back...

__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 09:11 PM   #282
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Here's a lesson from the real John Ross about how stuff works:
I'm pretty sure J.R. said the same thing to John Ross a few episodes ago, obviously the writers hocking from this scene.
Likely, but my thinking is Young John Ross hasn't quite figured it out yet, hence his continued stupidity.
What does that have to do with the point I was making? You posted the scene from the original show with the implication that J.R. needed to teach his son the lesson Jock was relaying to Bobby... except J.R. already did do that, like three episodes ago.

And John Ross isn't stupid because he's not smart the way his father is; if anything it's because the writers are writing him that way.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 09:49 PM   #283
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral
 
Adm. Maleficent's Avatar
 
Location: In Admiral2's Business
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post

I'm pretty sure J.R. said the same thing to John Ross a few episodes ago, obviously the writers hocking from this scene.
Likely, but my thinking is Young John Ross hasn't quite figured it out yet, hence his continued stupidity.
What does that have to do with the point I was making?
Um...everything?

You posted the scene from the original show with the implication that J.R. needed to teach his son the lesson Jock was relaying to Bobby... except J.R. already did do that, like three episodes ago.
Right, and so far he's failed to seize any real power on his own and in fact diminishes his power with every action, which is an indication that he didn't learn the lesson, hence the need for reinforcement.

And John Ross isn't stupid because he's not smart the way his father is; if anything it's because the writers are writing him that way.
Dude, it's no fun if you just blame the writers for everything. "Sherlock Holmes never solved any crimes! Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did all the work for him!" See what I'm saying?
__________________
"No power in the universe may break my spell!"

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 12:10 AM   #284
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

Ann's big terrible secret is that she drove drunk and got her daughter killed in a crash. What a soap this is! Still I can't stop watching. Brain candy.
what did you think it was supposed to be? it's always been a soap.
I was exulting, not criticizing. I'm enjoying the shameless soapiness.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Dude, it's no fun if you just blame the writers for everything. "Sherlock Holmes never solved any crimes! Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did all the work for him!" See what I'm saying?
The difference there is that it takes far more talent to write a character being amazingly smart like Holmes vs being a dolt like poor John Ross. So I respect a writer who can invent a clever character but not so much for the reverse...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 01:04 AM   #285
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The All-New DALLAS!

He was smart enough to set all this up without help from Elena or his daddy.

I find it difficult to respect anyone above the age of 9 who still uses the word "daddy".
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dallas

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.