RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,915
Posts: 5,388,942
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 648
Newest member: fanshere

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 18 2012, 06:02 PM   #76
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I read the first few pages using the Amazon "Look Inside" feature. I found reading just the first 10 pages to be painful. I didn't get to any of the sex scenes.
So if you had gotten to the sex scenes the book would have been better?
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:18 PM   #77
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
Since I seem to be the target demographic, maybe I ought to read this. Though it sounds as if it may actually be even worse than my own fanfic, which would be a real stretch.

Small thought: why is it 'manly' when males (of any age) look at images of sex, but somehow 'sad' when women (especially older ones) read about it? Porn mags have known for years that while men respond to images, women are more likely to respond to words - which is why they have text sections. The books may well be crap (TLR!) but women reading about sex is surely ok? no?
From what I've heard of the books it's not the fact they're about sex that's bothering people, it's the fact the whole thing is about male control and the submissive woman. As well as a sexually inexperienced woman allowing an experienced man who's in to sexual games totally dominate her and of course in the end it turning out that all he needed was a good woman to change him. Basically it sends all the wrong messages. But it's fiction, if people like it then that's fair enough.

Also, gerrout of 'ere. Shoo! Go on! Go.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:28 PM   #78
RevdKathy
Bridezilla
 
RevdKathy's Avatar
 
Location: Planning RevdKathy's wedding
View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
RevdKathy wrote: View Post
Since I seem to be the target demographic, maybe I ought to read this. Though it sounds as if it may actually be even worse than my own fanfic, which would be a real stretch.

Small thought: why is it 'manly' when males (of any age) look at images of sex, but somehow 'sad' when women (especially older ones) read about it? Porn mags have known for years that while men respond to images, women are more likely to respond to words - which is why they have text sections. The books may well be crap (TLR!) but women reading about sex is surely ok? no?
From what I've heard of the books it's not the fact they're about sex that's bothering people, it's the fact the whole thing is about male control and the submissive woman. As well as a sexually inexperienced woman allowing an experienced man who's in to sexual games totally dominate her and of course in the end it turning out that all he needed was a good woman to change him. Basically it sends all the wrong messages. But it's fiction, if people like it then that's fair enough.

Also, gerrout of 'ere. Shoo! Go on! Go.
Ah I see. I stand corrected. As I say, I've never read them. WHS is advertising it as "The book everyone is talking about" which I took to mean "everyone says it's crap". And life is too short to read bad fanfic (though maybe not to write it. )
__________________
"Well, you're not exactly Superman, but you're awfully available."
RevdKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:31 PM   #79
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
RevdKathy wrote: View Post
Since I seem to be the target demographic, maybe I ought to read this. Though it sounds as if it may actually be even worse than my own fanfic, which would be a real stretch.

Small thought: why is it 'manly' when males (of any age) look at images of sex, but somehow 'sad' when women (especially older ones) read about it? Porn mags have known for years that while men respond to images, women are more likely to respond to words - which is why they have text sections. The books may well be crap (TLR!) but women reading about sex is surely ok? no?
From what I've heard of the books it's not the fact they're about sex that's bothering people, it's the fact the whole thing is about male control and the submissive woman. As well as a sexually inexperienced woman allowing an experienced man who's in to sexual games totally dominate her and of course in the end it turning out that all he needed was a good woman to change him. Basically it sends all the wrong messages. But it's fiction, if people like it then that's fair enough.

Also, gerrout of 'ere. Shoo! Go on! Go.
Ah I see. I stand corrected. As I say, I've never read them. WHS is advertising it as "The book everyone is talking about" which I took to mean "everyone says it's crap". And life is too short to read bad fanfic (though maybe not to write it. )
Yep, much like Da Vinci Code, even the people who seem to have enjoyed it say it's a load of crap. And apparently it actually did start out as fanfic, so you know the type of thing.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 08:39 PM   #80
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO
 
cardinal biggles's Avatar
 
Location: potrzebie
Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
From what I've heard of the books it's not the fact they're about sex that's bothering people, it's the fact the whole thing is about male control and the submissive woman. As well as a sexually inexperienced woman allowing an experienced man who's in to sexual games totally dominate her and of course in the end it turning out that all he needed was a good woman to change him. Basically it sends all the wrong messages.
That, and it's horribly written. Some books are self-published for a reason. And unfortunately, these three didn't stay that way.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 08:51 PM   #81
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

There are a lot of horribly written books out there that don't come in for the same slating.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:20 PM   #82
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Asked a female co-worker today if she's read these books and she started laughing. I guess a friend of hers recommended the book so she went and bought the first one (without reading the jacket or scanning the prose inside the book.) She said when she started reading it her first thought was: "this is porn!"
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:53 PM   #83
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

'50 Shades of Grey' Giving Virgins False Hope For Their 'First Time'?

__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 10:02 PM   #84
RevdKathy
Bridezilla
 
RevdKathy's Avatar
 
Location: Planning RevdKathy's wedding
View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

I clicked the link. The writer of that profound, meaningful piece had an apostrophe in the wrong place in the title. Oddly, I didn't read any further.
__________________
"Well, you're not exactly Superman, but you're awfully available."
RevdKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:01 PM   #85
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

There's nothing wrong with women enjoying erotica, including erotica that's a guilty pleasure and based on quite dark fantasies that don't fall in line with an uplifting positive message.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:34 PM   #86
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

No, there's nothing wrong with women enjoying erotica. Nothing wrong with anyone enjoying it. They should just admit that that's what it is.

Then there's the double-standard of the whole thing, if this were a book series targeted towards men things would be very different considering how men who visit porn stores and strip clubs are looked down on.

So, apparently, it's okay for legions of women to buy a book series that's basically porn and it's an accepted national sensation with a movie deal in the pipeline.

Yet a man has to go to the porn store in a trenchcoat to buy the DTV release of the latest porn sensation.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:42 PM   #87
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Yet a man has to go to the porn store in a trenchcoat to buy the DTV release of the latest porn sensation.
Does this man not have the internet at home?

Paying for porn. That is so old school.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:57 PM   #88
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

It seems to me that most people, including those who enjoyed the book, acknowledge that it's erotic fiction. That doesn't mean it's analagous to watching hardcore porn. I don't know how racy the sex scenes in the book are, but reading about a sexual act is very different to watching one, and the movie will no doubt be tamed down to an R rating.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 12:52 AM   #89
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

When my mom got "saved" and heavily came into religion she gave up Daniele Steele novels because how "trashy" they were. Yet she's reading this book. When I called her on it she said it was an "interesting look into the male psyche" and not like the "trash" she gave up.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 01:19 AM   #90
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: 50 Shades Of Grey phenomenon? Mommy porn outsells Potter and Twili

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
When my mom got "saved" and heavily came into religion she gave up Daniele Steele novels because how "trashy" they were. Yet she's reading this book. When I called her on it she said it was an "interesting look into the male psyche" and not like the "trash" she gave up.
She's your mom. Let her read whatever she wants.

I still can't believe the main characters are named Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey. I thought people were joking anout that at first.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fifty shades of grey, sex, twilight

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.