New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18 2012, 06:22 AM   #16
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow morning. Gonna watch The Dark Knight later tonight. I know several people attending midnight screenings tonight.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 04:13 PM   #17
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

'Dark Knight Rises' Fans Force Rotten Tomatoes To Suspend Commenting On Reviews

The aggregating Web site RottenTomatoes.com suspended user comments on movie reviews of "The Dark Knight Rises" after commenters reacted harshly to negative reviews of the film and made profane and threatening remarks about the critics who wrote them.

"The job of policing the comments became more than my staff could handle for that film, so we stopped the comments altogether," said Atchity. "It just got to be too much hate based on reactions to reviews of movies that people hadn't even seen."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1682209.html

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

I saw the whole Rush Limbaugh thing. Even if he's taking the Bain/Bane stuff too seriously, it really is a pretty timely and funny coincidence.

Moving along, I was reading the trivia section for The Dark Knight Rises at the IMDb and thought I'd post some of what was there...

- Christopher Nolan is the first director to complete a full trilogy of Batman films, but the second to direct a full trilogy of films on one superhero (after Sam Raimi completed his Spider-Man films).

- Christian Bale is the first live action actor to portray Batman/Bruce Wayne in three Batman films. Kevin Conroy has played the character in seven animated films as of 2011 (including Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker).

- Cinematographer Wally Pfister has expressed interest in shooting the entirety of the film in the IMAX format, as both Pfister and Christopher Nolan have expressed distaste for shooting the film in 3-D. Ultimately, the film would feature approximately 50 minutes of IMAX footage, while the rest was shot in a combination of 35mm and 70mm, as IMAX cameras proved to be too noisy for shooting the films dialogue scenes.

- Jessica Biel, Gemma Arterton, Kate Mara, Charlotte Riley, Keira Knightley and Anne Hathaway all auditioned for the role of Selina Kyle. After the initial audition process, Hathaway, Biel and Mara all screen tested. Ultimately, Anne Hathaway won the role.

- Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz and Marion Cotillard were considered to play Miranda Tate before Cotillard finally got the role. Cotillard started filming 2 months after she gave birth to her son, Marcel.

- According to Gary Oldman, Christopher Nolan told the actors the ending of the film verbally to avoid any leaks.

- One of the reasons why Christopher Nolan cast Tom Hardy as Bane was because of his performance in the film RocknRolla. Hardy stated that he thought he was cast because of his role in Bronson. He arrived on set only to learn that Nolan has never even seen Bronson.

- Chloë Grace Moretz and Jennifer Lawrence auditioned for Juno Temple's role.

- Joseph Gordon-Levitt , Leonardo DiCaprio , James Holzier, Ryan Gosling, and Mark Ruffalo were considered to play John Blake. Gordon-Levitt was ultimately cast.

- Anne Hathaway, who plays Catwoman, had been cast as Black Cat (Felicia Hardy) in The Amazing Spider-Man in 2010, which at that time was under Sam Raimi's direction as "Spider-Man 4" and was going to feature the Vulture and Black Cat.

- According to Christopher Nolan, Bane was chosen as the film's main antagonist "to test Batman mentally as well as physically."

- To prepare for her role as Catwoman, Anne Hathaway worked out five days a week on a regime that involved vigorous exercise, stunt training and dancing. She called it her most physically demanding role to date.

- This is the fifth film in a row that Christopher Nolan has worked with Michael Caine. The other films were Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and Inception.

- With their appearances in this movie, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy and Gary Oldman will have each appeared in three Batman movies. Only Michael Gough and Pat Hingle have done the same thing.

- Christopher Nolan picked Bane as the main villain. Coincidentally, with no known relation, the name of one of the creators of Bane for the comic books is Graham Nolan.

- Anne Hathaway based her performance on Hedy Lamarr, who was the original inspiration for Catwoman.

- Tickets for the film's premiere midnight IMAX screenings in New York sold out six months in advance.

- Anne Hathaway has revealed that during her audition, she thought that she was auditioning for Harley Quinn. it was only after she had a discussion with Christopher Nolan that she found out that she was auditioning for Catwoman.

- Anne Hathaway has said that she desperately coveted the role of Catwoman, and was a complete nervous wreck after her audition. The first time her agent phoned after her screen test, he said he had good news and asked if Hathaway was sitting down. Hathaway immediately screamed "I'm Catwoman!" and ran around the room in a frenzy. Unfortunately, her agent had to calm the actress down--he had called to let her know that she'd been invited to host the Academy Awards. Hathaway has said she was so shocked she went numb at the offer. Fortunately, shortly thereafter, her agent phoned again to let her know that she had been offered the part of Catwoman as well.

- Christopher Nolan said that the film's theme deals with "Pain" For Batman Begins, it was on "Fear", while The Dark Knight deals on "Chaos".

- Tom Hardy accepted the role of Bane without reading the script. He was verbally told that he would have unprecedented access to extensive stunt training and equipment that he could enjoy knocking around.
I also read that Natalie Portman was considered for the role of Selena Kyle, but I don't know if that's true or not.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 05:55 PM   #19
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I'm going to see the movie Saturday Morning and I can't wait. Bought advance tickets yesterday and so far I've remained spoiler free.

My one concern, however, is the run time. For some reason I see that it's close to 3 hours long and wonder if there will be some plodding parts. Hopefully those feelings are unfounded.
Old July 18 2012, 09:08 PM   #20
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
My one concern, however, is the run time. For some reason I see that it's close to 3 hours long and wonder if there will be some plodding parts. Hopefully those feelings are unfounded.
It's 2 hours and 45 minutes long, only 10 minutes longer than it predecessor, 25 minutes longer than Batman Begins and 20 minutes longer than The Avengers.

I don't think it'll be that bad.
Old July 18 2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Got my tickets, 3:00 Saturday afternoon with the local theater's "Cinema Suites."
Old July 18 2012, 10:26 PM   #22
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

ElimParra wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow morning. Gonna watch The Dark Knight later tonight. I know several people attending midnight screenings tonight.
Uh, it's still Wednesday............
Old July 18 2012, 10:51 PM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Not in Australia it isn't.
Old July 18 2012, 11:02 PM   #24
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's 2 hours and 45 minutes long, only 10 minutes longer than it predecessor, 25 minutes longer than Batman Begins and 20 minutes longer than The Avengers.

I don't think it'll be that bad.

To be fair I think TDKs pace could have been improved by deleting that long sequence in China. It was a great sequence and stunningly shot but it brought the story to a dead stop.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:09 PM   #25
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The novelization, written by our very own Greg Cox comes out on July 24th.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:10 PM   #26
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Should be terrific. Greg is a fantastic writer.
Old July 18 2012, 11:35 PM   #27
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Not in Australia it isn't.
Damn, Australia and their always causing Temporal Paradoxes. They'll ruin us some day with that shit!
Old July 18 2012, 11:50 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Thanks, Agent and Admiral! I can't believe the book is finally coming out!
Old July 19 2012, 12:23 AM   #29
davejames
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I assume you had access to the full script? From the sound of it, Nolan didn't even tell the actors about parts of the ending until right before shooting.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 12:25 AM   #30
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I've always wondered, does writing the novelization ruin the experience of seeing the movie?