A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 18 2012, 03:42 AM   #3976
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 05:25 AM   #3977
Aragorn
Admiral

Has this been posted in here yet? If not, y'all might appreciate it:

Batman: The Animated Series Rises

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 05:33 AM   #3978
RoJoHen
Awesome

That is amazing, and I need it to be real.
Old July 18 2012, 05:42 AM   #3979
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's amazing they could bring back Kevin Conroy and Adrienne Barbeau and Efrem zimbalist jr
Old July 18 2012, 05:44 AM   #3980
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Has this been posted in here yet? If not, y'all might appreciate it:

Batman: The Animated Series Rises

Very awesome.
Old July 18 2012, 05:53 AM   #3981
Yminale
Rear Admiral

I don't know about critics being corrupt but I am tired of their "I'm better than you because I flunked out of film school" shtick. Their so called "criticism" is just meaningless and usually a sign of them trying to live their vicariously through their reviews or worse putting down a film because it was successful/popular. Some one should tell these morons that no one wants to make another "Bonnie and Clyde", "Easy Rider" or "Chinatown" and no one wants to watch them.

"The Dark Knight Rises" doesn't need to be reviewed. Chris Nolan has a record of excellence and I don't mind spending $12 on the movie.
Old July 18 2012, 07:18 AM   #3982
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

OK, I'm very excited now. Can't wait to see it.

If it's as awesome as I'm hoping, it's time to start talking about Greatest Trilogies lists. Just watched BB and planning to watch TDK tomorrow. Fantastic Batman stories, great movies.

And if it is that awesome, hopefully Batman will take a break for a little while and give us all some time to soak up this interpretation before starting a new film series. Don't want a re-boot too soon with Batman.

Trek and Superman are up to bat.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 06:05 PM   #3983
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
I don't know about critics being corrupt but I am tired of their "I'm better than you because I flunked out of film school" shtick. Their so called "criticism" is just meaningless and usually a sign of them trying to live their vicariously through their reviews or worse putting down a film because it was successful/popular. Some one should tell these morons that no one wants to make another "Bonnie and Clyde", "Easy Rider" or "Chinatown" and no one wants to watch them.

"The Dark Knight Rises" doesn't need to be reviewed. Chris Nolan has a record of excellence and I don't mind spending $12 on the movie.
And they all have small penises, I bet!
Old July 18 2012, 06:51 PM   #3984
Warped9
Admiral

This is nuts. After all is said and done it's all just a matter of opinion. I've certainly disliked films critics loved and liked films critics panned. Who cares???
Old July 18 2012, 06:59 PM   #3985
Aragorn
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
This is nuts. After all is said and done it's all just a matter of opinion. I've certainly disliked films critics loved and liked films critics panned. Who cares???
The psychopaths on Rotten Tomatoes who threaten critics?

The tin foil hat wearers on TrekBBS?

There was someone who used to post here whose name I forgot, but he said Roger Ebert was a tool for not liking what he liked. The movie in question? Stealth!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 07:52 PM   #3986
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Old July 18 2012, 07:57 PM   #3987
sonak
Vice Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post

Er, both "Chinatown" and "Bonnie and Clyde" are amazing movies and I love to watch them both. "Easy Rider" not so much, too much a product of its time, dated, and mostly plotless.

And I love Christopher Nolan movies, the Batman ones and the other ones. I don't know what this makes me.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 08:59 PM   #3988
Harvey
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
You should ask yourself how you could get so irate that you deluded yourself into thinking that pointing out that reviewers weren't taking dictation was somehow a rebuttal.
That's a caricature of my argument that you've repeated twice now, not the one I've been making. You claimed that the movie reviewing system was "amazingly corrupted." For this to be true, you would expect the Hollywood studios to be able to exert enough influence to be able to get good reviews for bad movies. By and large, however, they can't even get mixed reviews for those movies, which is why studios regularly release bad movies without screening them to critics. I'm sorry I even brought up the manufactured film critic, which you've fixated on as a way of eliding this point.

This debate began when you claimed that movie reviewers were required by the studios to omit certain items in their reviews. This surprised me, and I asked for evidence of its veracity. So far, you've provided none. It still interests me, however, and I'd be happy to read about it if you can direct my attention to the appropriate place.

The rest of your post seems to be under the impression that I have ambitions to be a part of the film industry (I once did, but haven't for several years), as well as arguing over semantics. Scratch reaction for observation if you'd like. My point is no different.

Lastly, I've done my best to keep this conversation respectful. However, this is difficult when you see fit to call me "irate" and "deluded." I might very well be the latter, but I draw exception to the former.

sonak wrote: View Post
Er, both "Chinatown" and "Bonnie and Clyde" are amazing movies and I love to watch them both. "Easy Rider" not so much, too much a product of its time, dated, and mostly plotless.
Easy Rider is mostly plotless, but I can't help but enjoy it. It has a rocking soundtrack, and a great supporting turn from Jack Nicholson. Bonnie and Clyde, as influential as it is, has always bored me. I should probably view it again at some point.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:22 PM   #3989
sonak
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
You should ask yourself how you could get so irate that you deluded yourself into thinking that pointing out that reviewers weren't taking dictation was somehow a rebuttal.
That's a caricature of my argument that you've repeated twice now, not the one I've been making. You claimed that the movie reviewing system was "amazingly corrupted." For this to be true, you would expect the Hollywood studios to be able to exert enough influence to be able to get good reviews for bad movies. By and large, however, they can't even get mixed reviews for those movies, which is why studios regularly release bad movies without screening them to critics. I'm sorry I even brought up the manufactured film critic, which you've fixated on as a way of eliding this point.

This debate began when you claimed that movie reviewers were required by the studios to omit certain items in their reviews. This surprised me, and I asked for evidence of its veracity. So far, you've provided none. It still interests me, however, and I'd be happy to read about it if you can direct my attention to the appropriate place.

The rest of your post seems to be under the impression that I have ambitions to be a part of the film industry (I once did, but haven't for several years), as well as arguing over semantics. Scratch reaction for observation if you'd like. My point is no different.

Lastly, I've done my best to keep this conversation respectful. However, this is difficult when you see fit to call me "irate" and "deluded." I might very well be the latter, but I draw exception to the former.

sonak wrote: View Post
Easy Rider is mostly plotless, but I can't help but enjoy it. It has a rocking soundtrack, and a great supporting turn from Jack Nicholson. Bonnie and Clyde, as influential as it is, has always bored me. I should probably view it again at some point.

what are your thoughts on Chinatown?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 09:42 PM   #3990
Harvey
Admiral

Love it. Polanski, Towne, and Nicholson at their best. Goldsmith's score is perfect; the cinematography is excellent (it's no surprise that the best lensed Star Trek movie was shot by the same DP). I've never mustered up the courage to see The Two Jakes, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote