RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 726
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 18 2012, 08:14 AM   #31
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Ant-Man's powers are kind of lame compared to those of the other heroes we've seen so far, but there's no question that he's an integral part of the Avengers, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Wright interprets his powers on the screen.

I'm really not sold on the Scott Lang idea, though. Hank Pym should be the main character; he's the primary Ant-Man and the character best associated with the monicker.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 08:28 AM   #32
RoJoHen
Awesome

Skywalker wrote: View Post
there's no question that he's an integral part of the Avengers
Unless the movie franchise simply decides that he's not. We just seemed to have a pretty successful Avengers movie without him.
Old July 18 2012, 08:34 AM   #33
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Very true.

Someone on the board pointed out, rightly so, that one of the breakout characters of The Avengers was Black Widow; who would have thought? But that's because her part was very well conceived.
Old July 18 2012, 08:38 AM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

The thing with all these comic book movies is that they have decades of material to draw from. You can make an X-Men movie with any combination of mutants and it would probably work. The Avengers can be treated in much the same way.

I would love to see more Black Widow. I had no real opinion of her in Iron Man 2, but I thought she was a great addition to The Avengers.

Frankly, I'd love to see another female superhero be added to the mix. Let's throw someone like Ms. Marvel in there.
Old July 18 2012, 08:51 AM   #35
Skywalker
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
there's no question that he's an integral part of the Avengers
Unless the movie franchise simply decides that he's not. We just seemed to have a pretty successful Avengers movie without him.
Eh, that's true. I'm not really the biggest Ant-Man fan, myself, but Marvel's done such a good job with their movies so far that I'm interested to see how this one turns out.

I agree with you that it'd be nice to see another female added to the group. One positive to featuring Hank Pym as Ant-Man is that he'd most likely be packaged together with Janet van Dyne, the Wasp. But I'd like to see Ms. Marvel, too.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 08:59 AM   #36
Dream
Admiral

Ant-Man and Wasp are pretty much the Aquamans of the team. Their powers are silly and they don't have very interesting origin stories. Ant-Man even talks to insects like Aquaman talks to fish. While I like the characters, I'm not sure how well a movie with those two will do.

Aquaman is infinitely more popular than Hank and Jan, but JLU still replaced him with Hawkgirl.

Of course, they could go an entirely different direction with this movie. Blade was pretty forgettable in the comics until the Blade movie producters turned him into a badass daywalker vampire hunter played by Wesley Snipes.
Old July 18 2012, 10:49 AM   #37
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I've always liked Ant-Man. I think having the film focus on two Ant-Men is a good idea, it provides a bit of a different dynamic to other superhero movies. It'll be interesting to see who the cast as Wasp, I really enjoyed her character in Avenger: EMH.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 12:10 PM   #38
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Ant-Man's powers are kind of lame compared to those of the other heroes we've seen so far, but there's no question that he's an integral part of the Avengers, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Wright interprets his powers on the screen.
I think I expected him to be treated like Hawkeye and not get his own movie.
Old July 18 2012, 12:38 PM   #39
Dream
Admiral

If Marvel Studios wants this movie to do well, they can't give this movie a large budget like the ones they have been giving all their superheroes lately.

An Ant-Man movie that costs 150 million would fail, but one that cost 50-70 million could be a success.
Old July 18 2012, 01:00 PM   #40
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I agree that the films budget needs to likely be in that $75m range +/-, absolutely no more than $100m at the most.

The dynamic that by including Pym, and another Ant-Man, is that in an Ant-Man sequel or Avengers film you could then have Pym assume his other most famous identity of Giant Man (I like Goliath better as a code name) while Lang or O'Grady is still Ant-Man.
Giant Man could come in handy in a situation where Thanos is at play and as much muscle as possible, maybe two fronts, is needed. Hulk and Thor busy on one front with Giant Man at another.

Pym also ends up creating one of the most deadliest pieces of AI out there named Ultron. An ever evolving sentient robot whose first brain patterns were that of Pym, making him at his core a twisted maniacal Pym in some regards. Ultron goes up against the Avengers a number of times.

So having Pym allows for these avenues to be opened up within the MCU.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 01:55 PM   #41
Pingfah
Admiral

I have never even heard of Ant-Man. Sounds like something out of an episode of The Tick, and from what I have read here, it looks totally shit.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 02:20 PM   #42
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
He's not an instantly awesome sounding character at first blush. Can't fault you or anybody for that. He's a low B-lister at best, a support player to the bigger dogs most of the time when he's included. I'm thinking though that for his film they will do certain tweaks within reason like the other films that give him a sense of uniqueness and intrigue. I think that's why the 2-person concept for the Ant-Man identity is in play. That hasn't been done before.

No one really knew who Blade was either before his film. Anything is possible.
Next to a cosmic film with a talking badass raccoon and tree though Ant-Man will be much more recognizable as a concept for general audiences to latch onto.
Old July 18 2012, 02:48 PM   #43
Dream
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
No one really knew who Blade was either before his film. Anything is possible.
Next to a cosmic film with a talking badass raccoon and tree though Ant-Man will be much more recognizable as a concept for general audiences to latch onto.
Speaking of Blade, when will Marvel be doing the reboot?
Old July 18 2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^^
My hunch is maybe in Phase 3. If Daredevil comes back and maybe Ghost Rider then those plus Punisher could formulate a "street hero" introduction into the MCU.

Addressing Ant-Man "talking" to the ants though as someone mentioned up thread. That's been portrayed two ways. The first was that Pym was able to decode the different clicks and taps an ant makes with it's mandibles much like researchers listen to dolphins and link to that happy, sad, fight or flight behaviors. His helmet would then be the receiver and transmitter for "talking", Pym essentially giving the "clicks" for friend/foe/fight etc.

Another that came later was Pym found out nuances and had his helmet then translate that into actual human verbiage communication. This one I don't like as much. I think it much more "believable" to stick with the first approach.

If I could find some scanned panels I'll post them. I have the Ant-Man/Giant Man Marvel Masterworks so time willing at some point I'll flip through and maybe take a pic of the panels he describes the first example.
Old July 18 2012, 06:32 PM   #45
drychlick
Captain

i love Ant -man he been a Avengers! since day 1! 2 Ant-men are better than1!
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote