TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old July 18 2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Wingsley
Commodore

TMP Epsilon 9 radio chatter

Does anyone have access to the subspace radio chatter heard in the establishment shots scene when we first saw the Epsilon 9 space station/listening post in TMP?

I wanted to know if there is a written canon record of all that chatter, particularly the names and assignments of all the ships mentioned.
Old July 18 2012, 03:00 AM   #2
Scott1768
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TMP Epsilon 9 radio chatter

Wingsley wrote: View Post
Does anyone have access to the subspace radio chatter heard in the establishment shots scene when we first saw the Epsilon 9 space station/listening post in TMP?

I wanted to know if there is a written canon record of all that chatter, particularly the names and assignments of all the ships mentioned.

I thought was quite clear in the movie - I understood pretty much everything they said.
Scott1768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 03:03 AM   #3
Wingsley
Commodore

But is there any trasncription of it anywhere?
Old July 18 2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

particularly the names and assignments of all the ships mentioned.
IIRC, those are:

USS Entente, NCC-2120 (dreadnought)

USS Columbia, NCC-621 (scout)

USS Revere, NCC-595 (scout)

The ship types are also mentioned in dialogue. The Columbia was assigned to rendezvous with the Revere, but otherwise their missions weren't given. Neither was the Entente's.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

I don't know if there are. Various edits of the movie had different levels of sound mixing. The "Director's Cut" version, for example, has the sound remixed so that the background is hard to make out, unlike some earlier versions.

It IS known, from various sources, that the chatter included references to the scouts Columbia (NCC-621) and Revere (NCC-595) as well as the dreadnought Entente (NCC-2120). All three came from the Franz Joseph Technical Manual, as did some of the display diagrams seen on various monitors.

Supposedly there is also reference to the Merrimac by it's FJ listed hull number (NCC-1715), and a long-range shuttle, (some people with very good home theaters say is the Laika or Lakia), but those references on versions I've heard if they're there at all are in the illegible background.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 04:25 AM   #6
Wingsley
Commodore

Is the Entente expressly mentioned to be a "dreadnought"?

I do not have a copy of TMP on-hand. Can anyone else transcribe the chatter from that scene?
Old July 18 2012, 05:43 AM   #7
Basill
Captain

Yes. It is a call made from the "Dreadnought Entente" to Epsilon IX. Twice in fact, since the same call is made twice, once by a male and then immediately after by a female voice.

I have the main call to the Columbia (mostly) and some other things printed out somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

Basill wrote: View Post
Twice in fact, since the same call is made twice, once by a male and then immediately after by a female voice.
I never noticed that, but it makes sense. I believe some of the TMP engineering background chatter dialog was recycled into TWOK with a gender switch for the same script. (Stuff like: "Pre-stage flux chillers..... On.") Perhaps they recorded most of this kind of stuff twice.
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Yes. It is a call made from the "Dreadnought Entente" to Epsilon IX. Twice in fact, since the same call is made twice, once by a male and then immediately after by a female voice.

I have the main call to the Columbia (mostly) and some other things printed out somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
The female voice is one of Epsilon 9's communications officers, because the same voice is the one doing the transmission to the Columbia.

QuinnTV wrote: View Post
Twice in fact, since the same call is made twice, once by a male and then immediately after by a female voice.
I never noticed that, but it makes sense. I believe some of the TMP engineering background chatter dialog was recycled into TWOK with a gender switch for the same script. (Stuff like: "Pre-stage flux chillers..... On.") Perhaps they recorded most of this kind of stuff twice.
In TMP, it was a female Engineer running the checklist with the computer (which had a male voice in the theatrical release). In TWOK it was the computer (voiced by Marcy Vosburgh) running the list with Sulu.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Basill
Captain

This was apparently all I was ever able to make out.

The Columbia Conversation:

“This is Comm Station Epsilon IX, calling USS Columbia. Come in Columbia. Respond please.”

“This is Scout Columbia, Epsilon IX. Could you boost your transmission please? You’re reading… (unintelligible*)”

“This is Epsilon IX, Columbia. Am boosting output. How read you this?”

“Fine, Fine, Epsilon IX. Proceed with your transmission.”

“Scout Columbia NCC-621, to rendezvous with Scout Revere NCC-595 on stardate 7411.4. Further orders to be relayed at that time. Signed Commodore Probert, Starfleet. End of transmission.”

“Received and understood Epsilon IX. Thank you. Give my best to your commander.”

*The rest of this sentence is mostly unintelligible. It sounds something like, “You're reading four points below… blah blah blah.” or, "You're reading four points into the… blah blah blah.”

Dreadnought Entente transmissions:

The first male voice:
"This is Dreadnought Entente Calling. NCC-2120. Callling Comm Station, Epsilon IX. Come in."

Female voice immediately after his ends:
"Epsilon IX. This is Dreadnought Entente Calling. NCC-2120. Comm Station Epsilon IX. Come in."

(They are nearly identical, although I've never heard him say "Epsilon IX" at the beginning, and she doesn't appear to say "calling" the second time. Both pronounce the zero in 2120 as “oh.” Both tend to pause unusually long between "Comm Station" and "Episilon IX.")

The only other thing easily heard is "Long range shuttle Lakia" (or Lincoln, or something entirely different) Though is is part of a bigger message, and the Merrimac is apparently listed in this message (either by name or registry, or both). Those with good systems claim it is a message to the Merrimac from the shuttle about an intent to begin some sort of landing procedure or mission and to inform them of a delay in their scheduled meeting. The delay is to be explained upon their arrival. There appears to be a "Received your transmission" or, "Proceed with your mission" at the end as well.

That's all I have from that scene it seems.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Data Holmes
Admiral

I always loved that comm chatter. Same with the engineering background chatter checklist.
Old July 18 2012, 06:38 PM   #12
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Commodore Probert.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I well remember the day in 1980, new to the ST phenomenon, riffling my still-fresh copy of the "Starfleet Technical Manual", when I noticed the names and numbers of background ships mentioned in TMP had come from that volume. Geek freak out.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 03:28 AM   #14
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I guess it's fairly obscure. But I wonder what the story is of using FJ TM technical terminology and illus. and vessel nomenclature in TMP (and then later movies)?

I don't recall any behind-the-scenes stories or interviews about how the TM came to be used like this in the films.

Was someone in the production really a fan and wanted to showcase FJ work? Was is simply a matter of digging up some material to use license-free? Was someone trying to stick to canon or establish it?

The radio chatter could have been written with any random names and numbers and so on. Why use the exact words from the TM? Was it intentional? Or just handy? Who chose to use it? Who on the production team knew about the TM and went to that source? Who needed to approve it?

Just a lot of wondering. I don't recall reading anything about how the TM came to be used in the films.

Last edited by SchwEnt; July 19 2012 at 04:26 AM.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 03:38 AM   #15
Wingsley
Commodore

I wouldn't be surprised if this was Paramount's way of boosting FJ's Tech Manual sales; the book was only five years old at that point.