Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 17 2012, 08:16 PM   #961
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I've started Ship of the Line by Diane Carey. Her reputation for being inspired by real navies is not overstated! I wonder if she named the first officer Bush in a nod to the Horatio Hornblower series...seems quite possible given that she quotes Hornblower and the Atropos.
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 09:54 PM   #962
Lonemagpie
Writer

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
I've started Ship of the Line by Diane Carey. Her reputation for being inspired by real navies is not overstated! I wonder if she named the first officer Bush in a nod to the Horatio Hornblower series...seems quite possible given that she quotes Hornblower and the Atropos.
Paul McGann, then, for the casting...

Though. given she's very much a Conservative Republican...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 12:02 AM   #963
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I finished Plagues of Night a week or so ago and re-started the novella Honor in the Night from Myriad Universes: Shattered Light, which I just finished less than five minutes ago. I'm now going to return to the Taurus Reach by reading Vanguard: Declassified and Vanguard: What Judgments Come.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 07:24 AM   #964
captcalhoun
Admiral

started Forgotten History last night.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 10:48 AM   #965
Snaploud
Admiral

I just finished reading Article 5.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 05:41 PM   #966
Fer
Commander

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
^ Q-in-Law is arguably the funniest of all the Trek books ever. If you ever get a chance to snag the audio book, do so. It's abridged, but it's narrated by Majel Barrett and John de Lancie, which adds a whole new dimension to the hilarity.

"Worf! Greetings! Still climbing up the evolutionary ladder? Oh, you'll all have to forgive Worf. He's just discovered opposable thumbs, and he's feeling overly confident."
Just ordered the audio book based on this post. I loved the novel, and the chance to hear them actually deliver lines like this is too good to pass up. Thanks for pointing it out!
Old July 18 2012, 07:46 PM   #967
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I've just started Philip K. Dick's Gather Yourselves Together. There's some debate as to whether or not this is his first (surviving) novel or his second (some scholars believe that Voices from the Street predates GYT by a year, and even so the lost Return to Lilliput predates them all). It was published originally in the mid-90s. Harcourt issued it in paperback for the first time recently.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2012, 08:08 PM   #968
Fer
Commander

Finished MedStar II: Jedi Healer. Good, but I definitely enjoyed MedStar I: Battle Surgeons more.

Since before this I read both Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn back to back, I'm going with two Star Wars books back to back now, and have started Jedi Trial by David Sherman & Dan Cragg. I think after this I'm going to finish Robots: The Modern AI.
Old July 18 2012, 09:14 PM   #969
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Jedi Trial is quite bad, but I thought the MedStar books were fun enough.

Night/Dawn kick the crap out of either of them, though
Old July 18 2012, 09:24 PM   #970
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished New Frontier: Double Helix - Double or Nothing a few days ago. I'm now a little over half way through New Frontier: The Quiet Place.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 03:08 AM   #971
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Thrawn wrote: View Post

YUCK! I hated Jedi Trial! Everyone was out of character. Michael Stackpole should have written that, since Halcyon was his character!

Back on topic: Finished Cloak of Deception, it was better than last time I read it, with lots of political intrigue and action. 9/10.

Now I'm skipping ahead in my ST readthrough to read Raise The Dawn, it's great so far!
After that, I shall resume my chronological Trek reading with "Forged In Fire".

Last edited by WarsTrek1993; July 19 2012 at 05:58 AM.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 04:33 AM   #972
Fer
Commander

WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
Thrawn wrote: View Post

YUCK! I hated Jedi Trial! Everyone was out of character. Michael Stackpole should have written that, since Halcyon was his character!
After a quick Wookieepedia search, I see that Halcyon was originally from the X-Wing novels. Luckily for me I haven't read them yet, so he won't seem out of character to me since this is my first exposure to him.
Old July 20 2012, 12:46 AM   #973
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I just started reading Station Rage by Diane Carey, #16 in the DS9 books. The plot so far: O'Brien and Odo are poking around in an abandoned part of the station and stumble into a chamber of dead-but-preserved Cardassians. This is creepy as hell, but Sisko can't figure out how to start inquiring into how they got there without letting the Cardassians know that their tomb (...in an ore-mining station?) has been violated, so he orders it sealed. Unfortunately, Garak realizes the dead Cardassians aren't dead, they're just in stasis, and apparently one of them is like the second coming of Jesus, because Garak has this worshipful reaction and then wakes them up. Now they're starting to terrorize the station, because they're a unit of killers.

This is basically the episode Empok Nor, but written two years earlier and presented in a different way. I wonder if that episode was crafted based on this? The Memory Alpha articles for both the book and the episode don't mention the connection, which is odd.
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 12:52 AM   #974
Sho
Fleet Captain

I remember reading this in German many years ago and being intrigued by the concept of large parts of the station remaining unused and unexplored, but otherwise thought it was a pretty weak novel.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 12:54 AM   #975
Christopher
Writer

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
I just started reading Station Rage by Diane Carey...

This is basically the episode Empok Nor, but written two years earlier and presented in a different way. I wonder if that episode was crafted based on this? The Memory Alpha articles for both the book and the episode don't mention the connection, which is odd.
The episode certainly wasn't based on the book. The makers of the show were too busy making the show to pay much attention to the books, and if they had based it on a book, they surely would have credited the original author, otherwise it would've been plagiarism.

It's very, very common for different writers to come up with similar ideas, especially when working on the same series. Plenty of Trek novels have resembled the plots of episodes that came out shortly after -- or even before -- their publication dates. VGR: Seven of Nine covered the same ground as "Infinite Regress." ENT: Surak's Soul overlapped elements of "The Seventh," but was published late enough that it could be adjusted to fit that episode. Heck, when I pitched to DS9 that one time, I actually pitched a story similar to "Empok Nor" a year or two before they did that episode. But it never occurred to me that they "stole my idea," because I'm sure I wasn't the only person to come up with that idea. (It's a natural money-saver, visiting a station that's a dead ringer for your standing sets, so I'm sure countless writers came up with variations on it.) And because I'm aware that the number one reason television pitches are rejected is "We're already doing one like that."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote