RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 538
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old June 22 2012, 03:28 PM   #196
Admiral Bear
Captain

Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

I know Marc Alaimo's very hard to get, and Casey's costume shoot is good enough, but this is just adding to the supporting cast guest list. Where are the main cast members FFS?

This event, the captains aside, is looking pretty thin considering the outrageous ticket prices which seem to be buying you less and less as the days pass, and that all the extras are reeking of Tom Cruise screaming show me the money!

I get the distinct impression the main tickets aren't selling.
Old June 24 2012, 05:33 PM   #197
Admiral Bear
Captain

Looks like there's only one 5 captains talk over the three days, and it's being held on the Friday. Joiner really hasn't learnt anything from history. Hardly anyone will be there on the Friday. In late October, most people simply can't get the time off work. Creation never had more than about 100 people turn up on the Friday of its UK cons.

There will of course be extra paid 5 captains talks announced for Saturday and Sunday that people who've already bought gold tickets and who wern't there on the Friday, will have to shell out for. Mark my words.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Last edited by Admiral Bear; June 24 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old June 27 2012, 01:15 PM   #198
Admiral Bear
Captain

Alice Krige announced. :borg

Don't know any half regular event attendees who've not met her at least a few times. Bit emergency filler material.
Old July 8 2012, 08:42 PM   #199
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Nana and Rene were on the latest flyers handed out at the LFCC.
Old July 9 2012, 04:04 PM   #200
Admiral Bear
Captain

From what I've heard, some punters are starting to suffer severe squeaky bum time over this event, especially the ones who've paid up front. After the LFCC debacle at the weekend, people there were questioning if Joiner's even capable of running DSTL with all the content he's "promised".

I know some people are starting to doubt the event will go ahead for a myriad of reasons.
Old July 9 2012, 08:58 PM   #201
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I don't think there's any danger of it being cancelled. I have to admit I'm wary of paying my train fares for their Doctor Who event though - announced last week - taking place in September, it has David Tennant, but a rival event had already announced David AND Billie. When I was in the queue for LFCC it was the later I overheard being talked about, not the Showmasters/Massive Events convention.

Back to the LFCC, certainly the sheer numbers and different venue seemed to pose problems, so that will be a chalenge for them in the untested Excel centre, but it was better on the Sunday. I would have been out by 10am if I wasn't waiting for friends.
Old July 9 2012, 09:58 PM   #202
Admiral Bear
Captain

The Shamasters Dr Who event with Tennant has all the hallmarks of a hastily arranged fundraiser. All this "we've been planning this event for 6 months" is utter hogwash. One announced guest to show for 6 months of planning? Event announced only 2 months before it's due to go ahead? Yeah, right. Jog on, Joiner. No one believes you.

I suspect Tennant has severely blotted his copybook with Sean Harry though. If I was Harry, I would NOT be happy with Tennant. It's Harry's own fault for not getting DT tied to an exclusivity contract. He should know Joiner's been pulling these kind of stunts for years, and that Joiner will be as childish as possible in an attempt to ruin other organisers.

I would say Joiner has about a month to explain to people in clear and precise English (I know, he's not capable) what exactly is going to be at DSTL before people lose complete interest. People don't want cheap 80s school discos. They want what they've been promised, and right now they see no sign of getting any of it.
Old July 9 2012, 11:44 PM   #203
SecretlyMrsKirk
Lieutenant

I would go, but I can't. It's a real shame. I wanted to meet my hubby in the person! *cry cry cry cry*
Old July 10 2012, 05:42 PM   #204
tubular_trekkie
Ensign

Well, I was thinking of going to this, but I've thought better of it. Not impressed with the organisation so far - or the prices! Yes, the guest list does sound impressive, but at the moment it simply looks like a way of enticing people to spend a lot of money on autographs and photo shoots, and not much else.

Also £25 for a party ticket - or £40 for two tickets to both parties seems very expensive to me. I wonder what is going to be so marvellous about them that would justify that kind of cost?
Old July 10 2012, 09:15 PM   #205
Admiral Bear
Captain

Take out the 5 Captains who may or may not all turn up for all 3 days, and you've got an event that wouldn't even rate as "poor" considering the ticket prices.

Does Joiner even know this is the 25th anniversary of TNG?

Joiner likes to think and act like he's the biggest fish in the pool. We all know he's nothing more than a very small bit of fish crap floating around in the water, but he could at least try and live up to his own propaganda. Where's the TNG cast reunion, Joiner? Show us all you're the big man you're so desperate to have everyone believe you are.

And if anyone wants some more evidence that Shamasters announces guests without a contract, or in this case, even asking them, have a look at Laura Vandervoort's twitter feed where she's had to take it upon herself to cancel her "appearance" at Joiner's Entertainment Media Show in October because she wasn't asked, knew bugger all about it, and will be busy with a private engagement. CLASSIC!!!!

Last edited by Admiral Bear; July 10 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old July 14 2012, 02:31 PM   #206
Admiral Bear
Captain

Joiner now refusing to give automatic refunds for Laura Vandervoort photoshoots after her LFCC cancellation and subsequent "rescheduling" to EMS, which she's already said she's not attending. Despite being told LV won't be at EMS, Joiner is still pushing his lies that she'll be there.

Val Kilmer flashbacks anyone?

Still no word if Marc Alaimo is still going to DSTL. Still no information on bridge photoshoots, stunt displays. . .actually, no information on anything.

People are fast starting to lose interest from what I hear.
Old July 16 2012, 09:40 PM   #207
Admiral Bear
Captain

Rumour has it that Garrett Wang posted something unpleasant about Joiner on the DSTL Facebook page today. The post seems to have vanished, but the general gist of what Garrett said was that back in May at Fedcon, Joiner promised him a spot at DSTL. Joiner has now apparently shat on Garrett from a very large height, telling GW that his services are no longer required.

Garrett has unsurprisingly asked Joiner why. As is usual with Joiner, he's now clammed up and crawled back under his rock.
Old July 17 2012, 01:56 PM   #208
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I heard it was on the unoffical facebook page, I don't even know where that is.

Don't know if I'm going yet, come this October I could have 5 events in weeks already! DL would make it 6.

But I'll be in the city, so maybe. The Docklands Light Railway is out of action that weekend though.
Old July 17 2012, 05:14 PM   #209
Admiral Bear
Captain

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
I heard it was on the unoffical facebook page, I don't even know where that is.
Me neither!

Don't know if I'm going yet, come this October I could have 5 events in weeks already! DL would make it 6.
Given the huge number of events Joiner's running between the start of September and DSTL in late October, I don't see that he has the time and or personnel resources to run DSTL.

But I'll be in the city, so maybe. The Docklands Light Railway is out of action that weekend though.
Will be an absolute nightmare for people trying to get to Excel, assuming DSTL even happens. There's no information forthcoming about any of it. You ask Shamasters, you get nowhere. You ask Media 10, all you get is "we can't tell you anything yet".

The whole event is looking more of a complete London Olympic-esque shambles everyday.

13 weeks to go. Media 10 and Joiner really need to pull their fingers out of their arses big time if this event isn't going to be a disaster. I've long suspected that if the UK never has another Trek con, it will squarely be Joiner's fault, rather than the fact there's very little enthusiasm amongst British Trek fans.
Old July 17 2012, 06:47 PM   #210
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
There's no information forthcoming about any of it. You ask Shamasters, you get nowhere. You ask Media 10, all you get is "we can't tell you anything yet".
There's no less news on it than there normally isn't for any of their events, I really wouldn't expect the worst at this stage. There's just a lot more newbies who expect news.