RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,161
Posts: 5,344,401
Members: 24,600
Currently online: 695
Newest member: Lord Galen

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 17 2012, 03:03 PM   #1126
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Christopher Judge has a new sci-fi show in the works, which he teased at Comic-Con without giving a title or any details of the premise:

"It's a sci-fi show. We are going to announce soon. We've already signed a deal with a certain company, and I think fans will get a kick out of who it is. And we are in negotiations with a second company that also fans will get a kick out of, because they are doing some of the best stuff in film right now. And it will be only their second foray into television. I can't wait to let it out of the bag. The announcements will probably be relatively soon, probably in the next month or so."
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:27 PM   #1127
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

^
That's an interesting ambiguous statement, implying that two of the companies involved in his show are, well, nerd-popular, one for films in particular. If I was gonna wildly guess I'd throw a dart at Marvel because they seem to be hugely popular with their superhero line and I can't read a pop culture website without an announcement of another Marvel film on the front page.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And even if HBO or Showtime decided to do a space opera, is Star Trek the first thing they'd think of? Or would they take a page from Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, and adapt a well-regarded title from novels or graphic novels, that would have more snob appeal than a franchise associated with bland broadcast?
The latter. I can easily see Showtime or HBO or AMC or whatever hypothetically making a space opera series, and doing so in a way that keeps with their brand. I don't see any of them using the Star Trek license to pursue this. It'd be an original title or as you say an adaption of novels or the like.

On the other hand, something like TNT's Falling Skies - more family-friendly and surprisingly optimistic than AMC's zombie-filled apocalyptic drama - is definitely a future I could imagine for Star Trek.

I still wouldn't discount the networks though, honestly. If there's ever to be space opera on network TV again, Star Trek is exactly the kind of broadly successful franchise that'd do it (and of course J.J. Abrams, who did what I consider to be a bang-up job on the new movie, has apparently a good track record with network TV - I say 'apparently' as I've never actually watched his TV shows).

Sure, even if you feel that cable TV right now is considerably more interesting than what network TV is putting out, the fact remains at one point you really liked a network TV franchise called Star Trek... so I don't think it's a terrible prospect.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:44 PM   #1128
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Kegg wrote: View Post
I still wouldn't discount the networks though, honestly. If there's ever to be space opera on network TV again, Star Trek is exactly the kind of broadly successful franchise that'd do it (and of course J.J. Abrams, who did what I consider to be a bang-up job on the new movie, has apparently a good track record with network TV - I say 'apparently' as I've never actually watched his TV shows).
Well, Abrams is so busy these days that it's been a long time since he personally ran a show produced by Bad Robot; I think Felicity and Alias were pretty much the only ones. Mostly he executive-produces shows created and run by other people, like Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse for Lost and Jeff Pinkner and J. H. Wyman for Fringe (although Kurtzman & Orci created that one). So the track record for Bad Robot shows has been uneven. For every Alias or Lost there's been a Six Degrees or Undercovers.

I daresay that if there were a Trek TV series from the current movie brain trust, it would more likely be created, produced, and run by Kurtzman/Orci, with Bad Robot and K/O as production partners along with CBS. (In fact, Orci's apparently looking into the possibility of a new animated Trek series, something K/O has some experience with, since they're the showrunners for Transformers Prime.)
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:46 PM   #1129
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, Abrams is so busy these days
I'm aware of that. I didn't imply that he would be involved in any hypothetical new Star Trek, but that Abrams - who I felt did well by Star Trek - has a past in network TV. So by the same logic I could imagine a Star Trek that is fresh, fun, exciting, et cetera, all without being on American cable.

CBS does seem like the by far the most likely channel to air it, at that ('cause rights and such).
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 04:08 PM   #1130
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Kegg wrote: View Post
CBS does seem like the by far the most likely channel to air it, at that ('cause rights and such).
Theoretically, except that of all the broadcast networks, CBS has historically been the one least interested in airing science fiction programming. And their upcoming fall schedule has absolutely no SF in it unless you count Person of Interest, which is borderline at best. So I don't see CBS being eager to air a space show, even one owned by their corporate partners, because it doesn't fit their network identity.

And while production companies and TV networks tend to share common corporate owners and umbrella names these days, they're still separate entities, and networks do air shows produced by other conglomerates' production houses; for instance, Fringe is produced by Warner Bros. but airs on FOX rather than The CW. So while it's nice and cozy if a show's production company and its network are owned by the same conglomerate, it's not a requirement.

Of the major broadcast networks that still exist, the two that have historically bought and aired the largest number of SF/fantasy shows (or rather, whose genre shows have been the largest percentage of their total lineup) are FOX and NBC. Based on that, I'd consider them the most likely candidates to want to pick up a new Star Trek series -- perhaps NBC in particular because they have a history with it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 04:15 PM   #1131
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Christopher wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
CBS does seem like the by far the most likely channel to air it, at that ('cause rights and such).
Theoretically, except that of all the broadcast networks, CBS has historically been the one least interested in airing science fiction programming. And their upcoming fall schedule has absolutely no SF in it unless you count Person of Interest, which is borderline at best. So I don't see CBS being eager to air a space show, even one owned by their corporate partners, because it doesn't fit their network identity.

And while production companies and TV networks tend to share common corporate owners and umbrella names these days, they're still separate entities, and networks do air shows produced by other conglomerates' production houses; for instance, Fringe is produced by Warner Bros. but airs on FOX rather than The CW. So while it's nice and cozy if a show's production company and its network are owned by the same conglomerate, it's not a requirement.

Of the major broadcast networks that still exist, the two that have historically bought and aired the largest number of SF/fantasy shows (or rather, whose genre shows have been the largest percentage of their total lineup) are FOX and NBC. Based on that, I'd consider them the most likely candidates to want to pick up a new Star Trek series -- perhaps NBC in particular because they have a history with it.
Yea, it's funny, we all like to hate on FOX for "always cancelling so many SciFi shows", but, the reason they cancel so many, is because they give so many a chance
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 04:39 PM   #1132
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Kegg wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, Abrams is so busy these days
I'm aware of that. I didn't imply that he would be involved in any hypothetical new Star Trek, but that Abrams - who I felt did well by Star Trek - has a past in network TV. So by the same logic I could imagine a Star Trek that is fresh, fun, exciting, et cetera, all without being on American cable.

CBS does seem like the by far the most likely channel to air it, at that ('cause rights and such).
Well Showtime are owned by CBS so there's always that. But this conversation seems to be about broadcast TV.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 05:54 PM   #1133
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Ron Moore is developing a cable TV adaptation of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. You can read Deadline's report here.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 05:55 PM   #1134
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, it's funny, we all like to hate on FOX for "always cancelling so many SciFi shows", but, the reason they cancel so many, is because they give so many a chance
Exactly. Also, people tend to forget that show success or failure is not simply about the whims of executives but primarily about whether ratings and ad revenues are enough to offset the cost of producing a show. SF/fantasy shows generally cost more to make and have smaller niche audiences than mainstream shows, so they're intrinsically less likely to succeed. So they have a high failure rate on every network, even with the best efforts of the network execs to promote and nurture them.

Not to mention that it's been a decade since Firefly ended and the executives who made the bad decisions about it no longer work for FOX, so it's really past time the fans got over it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:02 PM   #1135
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, it's funny, we all like to hate on FOX for "always cancelling so many SciFi shows", but, the reason they cancel so many, is because they give so many a chance
Exactly. Also, people tend to forget that show success or failure is not simply about the whims of executives but primarily about whether ratings and ad revenues are enough to offset the cost of producing a show. SF/fantasy shows generally cost more to make and have smaller niche audiences than mainstream shows, so they're intrinsically less likely to succeed. So they have a high failure rate on every network, even with the best efforts of the network execs to promote and nurture them.

Not to mention that it's been a decade since Firefly ended and the executives who made the bad decisions about it no longer work for FOX, so it's really past time the fans got over it.
Eh... I'm bitter over more than just Firefly Matter of fact, I wasn't even aware of Firefly until it was already gone. Dollhouse, Tru Calling and Sapce:Above and Beyond were shows I watched in first run.

But, yea, agreed, as painful as some of the FOX (And SyFy) cancellations are, no reason to hate on them for the business decision they were forced to make (Though TNT deliberately sabotaged the B5 spinoff Crusade, so they could weasel out of it, so, it's OK to be bitter there )
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:03 PM   #1136
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

The conversation shouldn't be about broadcast; I'd be surprised to ever see Star Trek on broadcast again.

Ron Moore has a new time travel show, at least in the premise: Outlander. WWII nurse time travels to 18th C Scotland.

Edit, I see I've been beaten to the scoop. Again.

Looking forward to Christopher Judge's announcement...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:14 PM   #1137
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Sindatur wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
^^ Or maybe I just made a funny remark that bounced off of Temis's comment. If mine was insulting, then I guess hers was worse, right?
That's not the way reads, especially since Temis points out, it's those of us, like on the board who are the exception (IE: We're the ones driving up the numbers by seeing it multiple times) IMHO. The General Audience might see it again, with another group of folks, but, they're not likely to watch it 3 or 4 or 5 times, like many of us

Not liking someone is fine, posting about that is fine, it's when that post comes off as personally offensive it's not fine
Also, what I said is unquestionably true. Most people don't think about the movies they watch or shows they see, beyond the immediate experience. Nor should they. The last movie I saw was The Avengers and before that, The Hunger Games. I'm sure that there are True Believers for both that are incensed at those movies, but I can't waste my time worrying about that. I'd never be able to watch movies at all if I were inclined to let them take over my life. it's absurd enough that I'm even thinking about one movie three years after it debuted.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:15 PM   #1138
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Christopher Judge has a new sci-fi show in the works, which he teased at Comic-Con without giving a title or any details of the premise:

"It's a sci-fi show. We are going to announce soon. We've already signed a deal with a certain company, and I think fans will get a kick out of who it is. And we are in negotiations with a second company that also fans will get a kick out of, because they are doing some of the best stuff in film right now. And it will be only their second foray into television. I can't wait to let it out of the bag. The announcements will probably be relatively soon, probably in the next month or so."
It's probably his Rage Of Angels series.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:21 PM   #1139
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Kegg wrote: View Post
CBS does seem like the by far the most likely channel to air it, at that ('cause rights and such).
Unless something truly monumental happens to change what CBS is and the audience they are chasing, and I'm sure there will be plenty of advance notice of something like that, there is no possibility at all that CBS will show Star Trek. I doubt they'd ever show sci if of any kind, unless it's the barely sci if type of show like Person of Interest.

CBS Studios may produce Star Trek, but it will be shown elsewhere, where it makes more sense.

The way network ratings are going, I wonder how long broadcast of any kind will exist.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 07:09 PM   #1140
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Electric City debuts on Yahoo today.

The animation put me off but if anyone checks it out, tell us what ya think.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.