Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2012, 11:12 PM   #256
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

"The Been-Around-The-Block-A-Few-Times Hornet" rolls pretty trippingly off the tongue.
Old July 14 2012, 06:51 PM   #257
Christopher
Writer

This week's Green Hornet chapters didn't handle the cliffhangers well at all. The resolution of last week's cliffhanger was what you'd expect -- they showed the part we didn't see before with the GH parachuting out of the crashing plane -- but in the subsequent two, the GH (with Kato in the second case) really was caught in the crash/explosion -- and just somehow happened to survive anyway, without explanation. That's weak.

But we did get confirmation that the car is called the Black Beauty here, although only in the opening text crawl. And we finally got to see an instance of the Hornet actually pretending to be a racketeer instead of just stumbling into the reputation, although only briefly.

I'm going to put the next bit in a spoiler box pro forma, even though I think it's obvious. It's about the identity of the mysterious "Chief" giving orders to the racketeers over the intercom:

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 09:18 AM   #258
RJDiogenes

^^ Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing.

The cliffhangers are pretty half-hearted, but the serial is enjoyable overall. I like the characters and their interactions, especially Reid and Kato-- Kato is much more than a sidekick-- and I wish that Casey would get out of the office. The fight scenes are usually a step above what you usually see in a serial, especially the one in the office this week. I get a kick out of how the owner of the bus company has no idea why his buses are having so many problems when the bus driver and Reid can spot the clumsy sabotage in a matter of seconds.
Old July 15 2012, 01:37 PM   #259
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, and how we have one scene with Britt and the driver saying "That brake rod's been sawed through" and then a subsequent scene with Britt saying to the owner "You have no evidence of sabotage." Short memory, huh, Britt? (Well, I guess he could've meant "no evidence that Blue Streak is responsible for the sabotage," but that's flimsy.)

Old July 15 2012, 08:02 PM   #260
RJDiogenes

Or he wanted the owner to think that he wasn't interested so he could disconnect himself from his investigation as the Green Hornet, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Old July 15 2012, 08:23 PM   #261
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Or he wanted the owner to think that he wasn't interested so he could disconnect himself from his investigation as the Green Hornet, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Especially since he was openly investigating as Britt Reid when he saved the bus and found the cut brake rods. He had no reason to keep that secret, since presumably the whole idea was to gather material to print in the newspaper.

I have to say, though, it's pretty badass to save a bus from tipping over by crashing it into a building. I'm a little unclear on why he thought that was the better option, let alone why it actually was.

(The concept of "brake rods" is interesting too. I don't know much about cars and such, but I gather brakes are hydraulically controlled these days, and when TV/movie bad guys sabotage brakes, they cut the hydraulic lines and the fluid leaks out. Were rods part of an earlier, more mechanical control system?)

Old July 15 2012, 08:36 PM   #262
RJDiogenes

^^ I assumed that was the case, but my knowledge of auto mechanics is virtually nil.
Old July 17 2012, 01:59 AM   #263
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I'm amused at how oddly mundane the various "rackets" in this serial are. Instead of mad scientists trying to conquer the world with their atomic zombies and death rays, we've had insurance scams, a car theft ring, and now an attempt to drive a bus line out of business . . .

And, yeah, I keep waiting for Casey to get out of the office and actually get into some trouble. Strange to realize that we're six episodes in and she hasn't even met the Green Hornet yet!
Old July 17 2012, 04:44 AM   #264
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'm amused at how oddly mundane the various "rackets" in this serial are. Instead of mad scientists trying to conquer the world with their atomic zombies and death rays, we've had insurance scams, a car theft ring, and now an attempt to drive a bus line out of business . . .
I think they were trying to be like the radio series (even having the radio actor Al Hodge take over the voice when the mask went on), and thus be fairly episodic. I bet the radio series dealt with similarly everyday rackets. I have the impression that this kind of widespread organized crime was a real, pervasive problem at the time, which is why you had radio shows like TGH and Gangbusters that were all about breaking up "rackets."

And, yeah, I keep waiting for Casey to get out of the office and actually get into some trouble. Strange to realize that we're six episodes in and she hasn't even met the Green Hornet yet!
Given how formulaic this has been so far, I'm not sure that'll happen at all, until maybe the very end.

(Oh, and technically she has met the Hornet, she just doesn't know it...)

Old July 17 2012, 09:20 AM   #265
RJDiogenes

Yeah, these kind of organized crime plots were popular at the time. Many a lurid pulp (and comic book) were devoted to them.
Old July 17 2012, 01:48 PM   #266
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I have the impression that this kind of widespread organized crime was a real, pervasive problem at the time, which is why you had radio shows like TGH and Gangbusters that were all about breaking up "rackets.")
Yeah, the eps do have a sort of "torn from the headlines" feel.
Old July 17 2012, 01:57 PM   #267
J.T.B.
Commodore

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, these kind of organized crime plots were popular at the time. Many a lurid pulp (and comic book) were devoted to them.
Indeed, in the old Buster Crabbe Buck Rogers serial (which TCM ran last year) "the rackets" have expanded to become the world government!
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 11:38 PM   #268
RJDiogenes

That's true. "Killer Kane" was the ultimate extrapolation of the mob boss.
Old July 20 2012, 12:32 AM   #269
Warp Core Breach
Commodore

"Forbidden Planet" is on TCM at 8 Eastern tonight, if anyone wants to catch it again.
Warp Core Breach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 01:08 AM   #270
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Warp Core Breach wrote: View Post
"Forbidden Planet" is on TCM at 8 Eastern tonight, if anyone wants to catch it again.
I love hearing Robert Osbourne say "How cool" when seeing how the FX were done.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote