RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,245
Posts: 5,348,462
Members: 24,612
Currently online: 613
Newest member: NeckbeardKnight

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 17 2012, 01:52 AM   #16
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Devon wrote: View Post
Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
I'm reading the article and I find this interesting.

' “All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand…,” said Orci.'

That blows his list of characters that are not going to be in the movie.
Look at the next line.

"TrekMovie.com: Nice callback, but are you sticking with your original comment and it isn’t Gary Mitchell. "

The "callback" is Orci parodying a comment Karl Urban made just a few days before when he was asked to follow up with his comment that Cumberbatch plays Mitchell.

See here:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/12/urba...batch-comment/

"All I can say is that I did that interview after a 22-hour flight from New Zealand. I literally hopped off the plane into the interview."

Orci then followed up with TM's question and said (verbatim) "I would say that I never lie."

BillJ wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post

Orci called into a radio show a few weeks ago and explicitly stated that Gary Mitchell is not in the movie.
And?
No reason to go further, it's right there.
What reason would Urban have to pull Mitchell out of his ass? And didn't Pegg say it wasn't Khan?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=60621

Someone's lying somewhere...
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon

Last edited by BillJ; July 17 2012 at 02:06 AM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 02:27 AM   #17
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

BillJ wrote: View Post
What reason would Urban have to pull Mitchell out of his ass?
To screw with people.

And didn't Pegg say it wasn't Khan?
Yes.
__________________
Follow my Star Trek Model builds, music, art and more at Devon's Corner.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 02:32 AM   #18
Balrog
Commodore
 
Balrog's Avatar
 
Location: Balrog
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Gary Seven?

Maybe the other canon character is Roberta Logan.
__________________
Anybody got some peppermint?
Balrog was Lloyd Dobler
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 04:24 AM   #19
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Caracthers of Alice Eve and Cumberbatch = canon.


My guess.


Eve - Dra. Carol Marcus

Cumberbatch - Garth of Izar

He is starship captain.
He can be younger than the original. After all, this is a diferent time line.
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 04:40 AM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

ralph wrote: View Post
Caracthers of Alice Eve and Cumberbatch = canon.


My guess.


Eve - Dra. Carol Marcus

Cumberbatch - Garth of Izar

He is starship captain.
He can be younger than the original. After all, this is a diferent time line.
Only characters born after Nero's arrival/Kirk's birth, the point that the timelines split can be different in age. (Chekov). Garth was already a famous Captain when OldKirk was at the Academy. Garth has to be ten to twenty years older than Kirk, probably closer to Pike's age.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 05:03 AM   #21
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
I don't think Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. He died in the comics. BC's mother reportedly said that he was dressed in leather, head to toe, for much of the movie. I'm hard pressed to think of a TOS character that was dressed all in leather (not hides). BC could be playing an android, but I'm not going with that one either.

I don't think he's playing Khan either, but that isn't saying Khan will not be in the movie. Del Toro was approached for a role that he turned down, but I'm thinking the reason he turned it down (his mistake) was because the dollar amount was not suitable, indicating it was a very short term role. The Khanists will get their Khan so they can stop haranguing the production staff and the rest of us, about it.

As for Eve's role, I don't think it's Dehner. I would love to see Chapel instead of hearing her, this time, but what I don't want to see is her blindly chasing after Spock, only to be rebuffed. Rand is back on the table, how about that.

What I want to see is more strong female characters.
Rand is back on the table?!?! Where did they say that? That's awesome. The two canon characters I, at least, want to see the most are Rand and Chapel.

And, hmm, the whole leather-clad thing could mean Khan, could it not?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 05:51 AM   #22
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Captain Dago wrote: View Post
And Alice Eve, who even looks like Sally Kellerman, will be Elizabeth Dehner.
She does, doesn't she?



indranee wrote: View Post
Rand is back on the table?!?! Where did they say that? That's awesome. The two canon characters I, at least, want to see the most are Rand and Chapel.
Those are the two I wanted to see the most as well. They were a big part of the show, so it would be a shame to see them left out again. Rand appears in the comics and her beehive is a lot smaller. It's more like hair done up in a cone than a big beehive. You could say she's been modernized, but she's still recognizable as Janice Rand.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:07 AM   #23
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral
 
TorontoTrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Devon wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
What reason would Urban have to pull Mitchell out of his ass?
To screw with people.
Also, from what I recall reading, Urban is a fan of the show from way back. I don't know how much of a Trekker Simon Pegg is, but he's also a long-time science fiction fan (actually, "proud flag-waving geek" would be a better description ). So it wouldn't surprise me if either of them were prone to joking around in interviews, pretending to give away information and then pulling back to tease us.

In fact, it wouldn't shock me at all if either of them were reading all the speculation online and laughing at how we're tying ourselves up in knots trying to figure out the identity of the guest characters and the plot of the movie.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 09:22 AM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Here's a thought - STXII is a Trek movie, which means it's all going to be canon. So Bob could be bullshitting us again. They could be original and later he's say, "But of course they're canon, they're characters in a Trek movie"
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 02:16 PM   #25
Trekkie2
Commander
 
Trekkie2's Avatar
 
Location: Same place, different universe
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

indranee wrote: View Post

Rand is back on the table?!?! Where did they say that? That's awesome. The two canon characters I, at least, want to see the most are Rand and Chapel.

And, hmm, the whole leather-clad thing could mean Khan, could it not?
This is a snippet from the article about the interview he gave stating which characters would not be in the movie.

' “All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand…,” said Orci.'


Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Captain Dago wrote: View Post
And Alice Eve, who even looks like Sally Kellerman, will be Elizabeth Dehner.
[...]

I might have missed it, but did Uhura have a slicked back, long ponytail in TOS? Did any of the female characters wear that wierd bun on a stick (which by the way, I hope they lose)?
__________________
Obviously, some things or situations never change, in any universe.

Last edited by M'Sharak; July 17 2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: to correct missing quote tag
Trekkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
This is a snippet from the article about the interview he gave stating which characters would not be in the movie.

' “All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand…,” said Orci.'
I just explained this to you earlier in the thread, in fact it's quoted at the top of the page.

Also Orci has just declared the Comics canon, which he semi-declared a while back anyway, which should take care of the Gary Mitchell speculation once and for all.
__________________
Follow my Star Trek Model builds, music, art and more at Devon's Corner.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:10 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Devon wrote: View Post

Also Orci has just declared the Comics canon, which he semi-declared a while back anyway, which should take care of the Gary Mitchell speculation once and for all.
Christopher pretty much nails this one on the head over in Trek Lit: only the tie-ins are required to follow that decree, the movies can contradict the "canon" comics any time they like.

But it does bring up great fodder that the movie and Countdown contradict each other and yet are both canon. And so is Nero's 25 year journey to meet V'ger.

I think he was joking about the comics being canon...
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:31 PM   #28
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Alice Eve as Rand makes sense. I remember now that Eve appeared in a photo dressed in overalls. she works in Starfleet. probably as a crew. I saw a nurse in Star Trek in white clothes.
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro

Last edited by ralph; July 17 2012 at 08:34 PM.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 06:55 PM   #29
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore
 
Jeff O'Connor's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa, FL
Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

BillJ wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post

Also Orci has just declared the Comics canon, which he semi-declared a while back anyway, which should take care of the Gary Mitchell speculation once and for all.
Christopher pretty much nails this one on the head over in Trek Lit: only the tie-ins are required to follow that decree, the movies can contradict the "canon" comics any time they like.

But it does bring up great fodder that the movie and Countdown contradict each other and yet are both canon. And so is Nero's 25 year journey to meet V'ger.

I think he was joking about the comics being canon...
I'm not so sure...

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/17/excl...game-as-canon/
__________________
Star Trek
1966-
Jeff O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 07:32 PM   #30
Trekkie2
Commander
 
Trekkie2's Avatar
 
Location: Same place, different universe
Re: Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Devon wrote: View Post
Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
This is a snippet from the article about the interview he gave stating which characters would not be in the movie.

' “All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand…,” said Orci.'
I just explained this to you earlier in the thread, in fact it's quoted at the top of the page.

Also Orci has just declared the Comics canon, which he semi-declared a while back anyway, which should take care of the Gary Mitchell speculation once and for all.
What? I was addressing a question asked by another poster. It seems to me that anyone doing an interview after 22hrs of press, flight, or sitting on the toilet, is not his right mind to be doing another interview right behind it and give correct information. I hope I have explained it to you.
__________________
Obviously, some things or situations never change, in any universe.
Trekkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.