Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 16 2012, 04:36 PM   #16
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

I love Walt for the crazy plans he comes up with. The magnet thing was quite awesome. I wonder what he needed that machine gun for in the teaser but this probably be resolved only at the end of the season.
There's some interesting mirroring going on with Ted being scared of Skylar even though she didn't want any harm to come to him and Skylar being scared of Walt even though he wouldn't hurt her, either. Him saying "I forgive you" didn't really help matters in that regard, I figure.
Old July 16 2012, 10:14 PM   #17
stj
Rear Admiral

If Mike loved Gus so much, he is really stupid yet gave in to Walt too easily.

Still don't believe Walt could poison the kid. Physically I mean, not have moral difficulties.

Also don't believe they wouldn't have been working on the laptop instead of parking it in evidence. But the magneto was a nifty touch.

"I forgive you" was much more menacing than "We're done when I say we're done."
Old July 16 2012, 11:34 PM   #18
davejames
Vice Admiral

Damn that was good.

The opening flashforward was definitely unexpected, and makes it clear that Walt at least survives long enough to grow his hair out. I wonder if the second half of the season picks up with him on the run from the cops, or are we just getting a peek at where he's at in the finale?

The magnet scheme seems pretty far-fetched (Mike blots out the one surveillance camera on the premises and no guards come out to check?), but it was still intense and fun as hell to watch.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 11:45 PM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Also don't believe they wouldn't have been working on the laptop instead of parking it in evidence.
They were waiting on experts being available, or some such thing. Not really a big stretch, since it was only a day or so after.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Snaploud
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Also don't believe they wouldn't have been working on the laptop instead of parking it in evidence.
They were waiting on experts being available, or some such thing. Not really a big stretch, since it was only a day or so after.
Yep. They're a local police department. It's unlikely that they have the right expertise on-staff.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:09 AM   #21
The Habs Fan
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Damn that was good.
My thoughts exactly.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:20 AM   #22
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

- What did they find when they were looking at the picture while salvaging what was in the evidence room?
From the quick glimpse I saw of it, it seemed to be be some username/password combo hidden behind the photo. I think I saw the word 'cayman' in there as well. Online recording, maybe? Would nullify destroying the laptop pretty good.
Old July 17 2012, 03:33 AM   #23
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

It was the number of a bank account in the Cayman Islands, I'd wager.
Old July 17 2012, 03:55 AM   #24
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

I checked and you are correct... a Swiss bank account.

Old July 17 2012, 04:34 AM   #25
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Finally caught up on the previous four seasons. Really, really wish I had cable or satellite. I've been hearing good things about the S5 opener though. Just glad to hear Mike's still kicking. It wouldn't be the same without that crazy son of a bitch.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 01:46 PM   #26
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The magnet scheme was interesting, although you'd think a smart guy like Walt would know better than to turn it up all the way. I get that something had to go wrong, in keeping with the themes of the show, but couldn't we have had it be something that didn't depend on Walt being stupid?

I'm very curious to see how Walt ends up with a new look and identity, though. Maybe he finally gets the money together for "the guy" who fixes identities. Nice that they planted the seeds for that a while back.

Not much else to say at this point. Things have only just begun!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 03:29 PM   #27
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
It was the number of a bank account in the Cayman Islands, I'd wager.
Capn Flukie wrote: View Post
I checked and you are correct... a Swiss bank account.
A Swiss bank account? The Cayman Islands? I'm calling it now, Gus was in cahoots with Romney.

It was a pretty good episode, not the show's best but I wasn't expecting it to be. The story is wide open now, without Gus any number of things could happen, which is a feeling that was kinda lacking in season 4. The teaser certainly has me intrigued, but knowing this show I doubt that any of our guesses about how Walt finds himself in that position will be proven correct.
Old July 17 2012, 03:34 PM   #28
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The magnet scheme was interesting, although you'd think a smart guy like Walt would know better than to turn it up all the way. I get that something had to go wrong, in keeping with the themes of the show, but couldn't we have had it be something that didn't depend on Walt being stupid?
Walt's smart but he's overconfident as all hell, which I assumed was the point. Jesse's the voice of reason - get the hell out of there - and Walt's all let's do it some more. And then at the end he remains glibly confident that the entire thing worked perfectly and people should accept that as an article of faith because Walt says so.

The man's in love with his own voice (and with the voice of Bryan Cranston, who can blame him?) and that sense of authority. Walt's smart but far from flawless.
Old July 17 2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Kegg wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Walt's smart but he's overconfident as all hell, which I assumed was the point. Jesse's the voice of reason - get the hell out of there - and Walt's all let's do it some more. And then at the end he remains glibly confident that the entire thing worked perfectly and people should accept that as an article of faith because Walt says so.

The man's in love with his own voice (and with the voice of Bryan Cranston, who can blame him?) and that sense of authority. Walt's smart but far from flawless.
I guess I'm just a little surprised that a chemistry teacher would apparently not be too up on magnetism and electromagnets. He should've been able to do the math based on what it took to wipe the drive Jesse had. Figuring out the field strength from the original set of batteries vs. the distance to Jesse's laptop should've let Walt rough out the numbers to know what field strength he'd need to do the job at the distance given (accounting for the concrete wall, which I assume would interfere some but not a whole lot.)

I get that they were in a hurry, but Walt being "overconfident" doesn't mean he should be "stupid."

I just wish Jesse had said something about, "fucking magnets!"
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 11:39 PM   #30
stj
Rear Admiral

The opener was probably a flashforward to the final episode. The pills Walt was taking honestly were far more intriguing than a gun, even a big one, and a duffel full of money, even a big one. The title obviously is intended to hint at the climax and we're suppposed to think Walt is going to live free, or die. Which presumably means Walt thinks he needs to kill someone to do so. Mike, Jesse, Saul, Hank, a new party as yet unintroduced? Walt has done everyone wrong in some fashion or other. But why would he need to kill someone if he's going to die from recurrent cancer?