RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,957
Posts: 5,480,099
Members: 25,057
Currently online: 547
Newest member: Ghost_of_Bubba

TrekToday headlines

USS Enterprise Press-Out And Build Manual
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

New QMx USS Reliant Model
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Star Trek Thirty-Five Years On 35MM: A Retrospective
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 15 2012, 04:41 PM   #46
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
lf you were able to read properly through all that red nerd rage of yours you would know that what l said was l never watched it "much". l did watch it enough to get a clue and form an opinion, and l'm standing by my "tweeny bullshit" assessment. So take your little piece of advice and shove it up- nah. l guess l'll be the gentleman here. A good day to you, sir.
"I don't like Buffy" is an opinion.
"Buffy is tweeny bullshit" is factually incorrect.

I suggest learning the difference between fact and opinion before joining a discussion.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 07:40 PM   #47
nightwind1
Commodore
 
nightwind1's Avatar
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

I would NEVER consider excellent episodes like "Hush" or "The Body" either tweeny OR bullshit.

I think some people need to actually WATCH a program before attempting to develop an opinion.
__________________
Remember: No Matter Where You Go, There You Are...88

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 09:03 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Indeed. "The Body" is one of the most powerful, honest, and innovative works of television drama I've ever seen.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 12:38 PM   #49
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant
 
Sysyphyx's Avatar
 
Location: The Orwellian thread-police forum
View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
lf you were able to read properly through all that red nerd rage of yours you would know that what l said was l never watched it "much". l did watch it enough to get a clue and form an opinion, and l'm standing by my "tweeny bullshit" assessment. So take your little piece of advice and shove it up- nah. l guess l'll be the gentleman here. A good day to you, sir.
"I don't like Buffy" is an opinion.
"Buffy is tweeny bullshit" is factually incorrect.

I suggest learning the difference between fact and opinion before joining a discussion.
You know, the only reason l came back and quoted the other person is because they had the audacity to try to tell me that l didn't have a place in this discussion. Now, heres another asshole doing the same thing.

l don't really give a shit lf l offend all of you Buffy freaks with my comments. The fact is, l have one view of the show while you guys have another. Hell, just recently l was on another thread about J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek films where the discussion got sidetracked into LOST, of which l am a huge fan. When people started coming on and bad-mouthing that particular show l didn't tell them "you have no ldea what you're talking about" or "go away". You fucking thread police can kiss my ass.

And by the way, Kelthaz, the "discussion" l joined here was about Joss Whedon's possible involvement with Avengers 2, not how many cream-pies Buffy gave out in the locker room.
__________________
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!!"
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 01:56 PM   #50
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
lf you were able to read properly through all that red nerd rage of yours you would know that what l said was l never watched it "much". l did watch it enough to get a clue and form an opinion, and l'm standing by my "tweeny bullshit" assessment. So take your little piece of advice and shove it up- nah. l guess l'll be the gentleman here. A good day to you, sir.
"I don't like Buffy" is an opinion.
"Buffy is tweeny bullshit" is factually incorrect.

I suggest learning the difference between fact and opinion before joining a discussion.
You know, the only reason l came back and quoted the other person is because they had the audacity to try to tell me that l didn't have a place in this discussion. Now, heres another asshole doing the same thing.

l don't really give a shit lf l offend all of you Buffy freaks with my comments. The fact is, l have one view of the show while you guys have another. Hell, just recently l was on another thread about J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek films where the discussion got sidetracked into LOST, of which l am a huge fan. When people started coming on and bad-mouthing that particular show l didn't tell them "you have no ldea what you're talking about" or "go away". You fucking thread police can kiss my ass.

And by the way, Kelthaz, the "discussion" l joined here was about Joss Whedon's possible involvement with Avengers 2, not how many cream-pies Buffy gave out in the locker room.
Good thing you're mature and above any tweeny bullshit.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 02:11 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
l don't really give a [needless rudeness] lf l offend all of you Buffy [gratuitous insult] with my comments. The fact is, l have one view of the show while you guys have another.
As Kelthaz said, the issue is not whether we were offended, but whether your assumptions were factually valid. You're clearly approaching this dialogue from a purely emotional point of view, so you're assuming it's strictly a matter of (vehement) opinion; but the facts are the facts no matter how strongly anyone feels about them. A responsible person will make a basic effort to understand the objective facts first and then formulate an opinion based upon those facts. And all we're doing is informing you that you're grossly in error about the objective facts of what Buffy and Angel are. Not about whether they were good or worthwhile shows, but simply about what kind of shows they were. You describe them as "tweeny," which implies that you think they were intended for children age 10 to 12. That is objectively incorrect, since both shows had considerable violent and sexual content and were highly inappropriate for children of that age.

So this has nothing to do with whether you've offended anyone. It's simply about whether you have your facts straight, which you do not. If you said that Norway was in the Southern Hemisphere and a Norwegian poster corrected you, that would not be because you had offended that poster, but simply because your statement was objectively untrue. Not every conversation is about opinions and emotions. Facts are more fundamental.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 04:27 PM   #52
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant
 
Sysyphyx's Avatar
 
Location: The Orwellian thread-police forum
View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

^^^As long as that Norwegian poster doesn't tell me l don't belong here, we can argue about geography all day long.
__________________
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!!"
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 04:29 PM   #53
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

^It's sad that you think even matters of objective fact should be argued over as if they were matters of opinion.

And if you don't belong here, it's not because you don't like Buffy, it's because you're needlessly hostile and abusive toward people who disagree with you. Keep that up and the moderators will want a word with you.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 04:50 PM   #54
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant
 
Sysyphyx's Avatar
 
Location: The Orwellian thread-police forum
View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

So go ahead and report me. The fact of the matter is, l came here to espouse my own personal opinion, which l have the right to do on any forum, and certain people took one thing that l said, which THEY vehemently disagreed with, and turned it hostile, using it against me to make me feel unwelcomed here.
__________________
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!!"
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 05:29 PM   #55
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
lf you were able to read properly through all that red nerd rage of yours you would know that what l said was l never watched it "much". l did watch it enough to get a clue and form an opinion, and l'm standing by my "tweeny bullshit" assessment. So take your little piece of advice and shove it up- nah. l guess l'll be the gentleman here. A good day to you, sir.
"I don't like Buffy" is an opinion.
"Buffy is tweeny bullshit" is factually incorrect.

I suggest learning the difference between fact and opinion before joining a discussion.
You know, the only reason l came back and quoted the other person is because they had the audacity to try to tell me that l didn't have a place in this discussion. Now, heres another asshole doing the same thing.

l don't really give a shit lf l offend all of you Buffy freaks with my comments. The fact is, l have one view of the show while you guys have another. Hell, just recently l was on another thread about J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek films where the discussion got sidetracked into LOST, of which l am a huge fan. When people started coming on and bad-mouthing that particular show l didn't tell them "you have no ldea what you're talking about" or "go away". You fucking thread police can kiss my ass.

And by the way, Kelthaz, the "discussion" l joined here was about Joss Whedon's possible involvement with Avengers 2, not how many cream-pies Buffy gave out in the locker room.
Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.

You are more than welcome to express your opinions, but there are guidelines as to just how.
__________________
"The greatest tales are always over far too soon for those who truly appreciate them."
- Jef Murray
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 05:47 PM   #56
inflatabledalek
Captain
 
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

I think Marvel's great strength in putting their film world together has been they've had the faith in the characters to sell the movies so they haven't felt the need to bring in much in the way of obvious "Big Names" either as the leads or behind the cameras.

Most of their directors wouldn't have been the first choice for big tentpole movies (even if they'd have been the fan choice), and on that score it's worked out great for Wheedon. The Avengers has saved his career from the very real danger of going down the Chris Carter path.

And he was equally good for the film. The problem (or advantage if you regard the sort of fee that, say, Michael Bay can claim for each Transformers film as obscene) is the director doesn't have very much negotiation leverage. Marvel/Disney have the confidence to know they can find some fresh faced and, yes, cheaper, director who they can be sure will make a successful film for them.

As for if The Avengers is as good as the hype... I don't think any film that succesful ever can live up to its reputation. But despite me not finding it perfect (the big city battle lost a lot of impact for me from being so similar to the one in Dark of the Moon) it was a damn fun movie.
__________________
TRANSFORMATION: REMOVE YOUR HEAD... FOR PEACE!
It's an odd day for Fort Max and Rodimus Prime in my look at issue 133!
inflatabledalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 06:16 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
(the big city battle lost a lot of impact for me from being so similar to the one in Dark of the Moon)
Well, I haven't seen that Transformers movie, but there were a couple of features about the Avengers Manhattan battle that stood out for me and that I doubt would've been true of a Michael Bay action sequence:

1) The focus stayed on the characters. Although there was plenty of destruction porn, the characters of the Avengers and their particular traits remained at the forefront of our attention: Captain America inspired and led people, Widow was fearless and resourceful, Hulk was mainly in it for the smashing but came through for his teammates when it counted, etc. The most important beats weren't explosions and crashes, but character moments.

2) The civilians weren't ignored. The heroes' first priority, as it should be for superheroes, was to protect the innocent and rescue the endangered. Even in the middle of this huge apocalyptic battle, they were taking the time to free people trapped in buses and coordinate evacuations and rescue hostages and so on.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 06:23 PM   #58
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant
 
Sysyphyx's Avatar
 
Location: The Orwellian thread-police forum
View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Neroon wrote: View Post
Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post

"I don't like Buffy" is an opinion.
"Buffy is tweeny bullshit" is factually incorrect.

I suggest learning the difference between fact and opinion before joining a discussion.
You know, the only reason l came back and quoted the other person is because they had the audacity to try to tell me that l didn't have a place in this discussion. Now, heres another asshole doing the same thing.

l don't really give a shit lf l offend all of you Buffy freaks with my comments. The fact is, l have one view of the show while you guys have another. Hell, just recently l was on another thread about J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek films where the discussion got sidetracked into LOST, of which l am a huge fan. When people started coming on and bad-mouthing that particular show l didn't tell them "you have no ldea what you're talking about" or "go away". You fucking thread police can kiss my ass.

And by the way, Kelthaz, the "discussion" l joined here was about Joss Whedon's possible involvement with Avengers 2, not how many cream-pies Buffy gave out in the locker room.
Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.

You are more than welcome to express your opinions, but there are guidelines as to just how.
Oooh. l'm real scared.

So apparently, on this forum, the guidelines only apply to people who express their opinions and then defend themselves when they are called out by other members who form the differing Majority. Wow. Sounds like a fascist regime to me. Fuck the lot of ya.
__________________
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!!"
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 06:33 PM   #59
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post
Sysyphyx wrote: View Post

You know, the only reason l came back and quoted the other person is because they had the audacity to try to tell me that l didn't have a place in this discussion. Now, heres another asshole doing the same thing.

l don't really give a shit lf l offend all of you Buffy freaks with my comments. The fact is, l have one view of the show while you guys have another. Hell, just recently l was on another thread about J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek films where the discussion got sidetracked into LOST, of which l am a huge fan. When people started coming on and bad-mouthing that particular show l didn't tell them "you have no ldea what you're talking about" or "go away". You fucking thread police can kiss my ass.

And by the way, Kelthaz, the "discussion" l joined here was about Joss Whedon's possible involvement with Avengers 2, not how many cream-pies Buffy gave out in the locker room.
Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.

You are more than welcome to express your opinions, but there are guidelines as to just how.
Oooh. l'm real scared.

So apparently, on this forum, the guidelines only apply to people who express their opinions and then defend themselves when they are called out by other members who form the differing Majority. Wow. Sounds like a fascist regime to me. Fuck the lot of ya.

Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 06:41 PM   #60
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Joss Whedon Remains Undecided About ĎAvengers 2′

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post
Sysyphyx wrote: View Post

You know, the only reason l came back and quoted the other person is because they had the audacity to try to tell me that l didn't have a place in this discussion. Now, heres another asshole doing the same thing.

l don't really give a shit lf l offend all of you Buffy freaks with my comments. The fact is, l have one view of the show while you guys have another. Hell, just recently l was on another thread about J.J. Abrams and his Star Trek films where the discussion got sidetracked into LOST, of which l am a huge fan. When people started coming on and bad-mouthing that particular show l didn't tell them "you have no ldea what you're talking about" or "go away". You fucking thread police can kiss my ass.

And by the way, Kelthaz, the "discussion" l joined here was about Joss Whedon's possible involvement with Avengers 2, not how many cream-pies Buffy gave out in the locker room.
Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.

You are more than welcome to express your opinions, but there are guidelines as to just how.
Oooh. l'm real scared.

So apparently, on this forum, the guidelines only apply to people who express their opinions and then defend themselves when they are called out by other members who form the differing Majority. Wow. Sounds like a fascist regime to me. Fuck the lot of ya.
Opinions are fine. You just can't call people assholes.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
avengers, joss whedon

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.