CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 15 2012, 07:57 PM   #871
Disruptor
Commodore

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

I saw announced at San Diego Comic Con a company plans on making the never-made Kenner ALIEN action figures...apparently based on the Kenner molds and in the same style 3 3/4" with like 5 points of articulation.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 08:04 PM   #872
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

I saw blurry slide show pics of those ALIEN figures...I didn't know they'd be limited to just 5 points of articulation, though. But given the current Hasbro trend I can't say I'm surprised.
Old July 15 2012, 11:14 PM   #873
Disruptor
Commodore

It's not Hasbro producing them, but some smaller company. Yeah, using Kenner designs, though. I guess the jumbo Star Wars figure makers are doing that, too.

I looked at the 2013 Star Wars line up and it's mosty do-overs. Where are the fun obscure aliens...some odd droids, but you have to buy 6 figures to build them.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 11:22 PM   #874
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

^
Did you hear about the upcoming line of 12" Star Wars figures?

5 points of articulation and their weapons will be molded into their hands.

I'm not joking. Hasbro's people claim they're going for the feel of the original, classic 12" figures from the late seventies. But I dunno, in this day and age people expect a lot more from 12" dolls and figures than just neck, shoulder and hip joints and a weapon or accessory they can't remove from the character's hand without breaking one or both.

On the bright side, they'll retail for only $14.99 each. Which doesn't say a lot about their quality in and of itself, but I digress.

So far only four are planned: Revenge of the Sith Anakin, an Episode II Clone Trooper, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader. I guess they'll wait and see how these do before greenlighting other characters.
Old July 15 2012, 11:38 PM   #875
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Toys have come a long way since the 70s, but toymakers seem determined to keep making them in a retro style because it's damn cheap to do so. Lousy sculpting, minimal articulation, poor paint, etc. Nostalgia only carries a line so far. I have no love for any of the original Star Wars figures. I want my super articulated, detailed, and accurately sculpted characters.
Old July 15 2012, 11:43 PM   #876
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I get the feeling the new 12" line might be a flop. If this were 1978 or 1979 I could see them doing gangbusters, but even little kids nowadays demand more from their dolls and action figures.

I mean...weapons molded to the hands? What kind of potent herb were these suits toking when they said yes to that? Even the original 12" figures from the late '70s had removable weapons and accessories!
Old July 15 2012, 11:48 PM   #877
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

LOL The Bespin Leia headsculpt is an absolute joke.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 11:52 PM   #878
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

It's a Hilary Swank action figure.
Old July 16 2012, 02:49 AM   #879
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Here are the packages for the Vintage Collection's "realistic style" Clone Wars figures: Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. These follow the realistic Clone Wars Anakin that was released a few months ago.

All in all, the Photoshopped artwork doesn't look half bad. The Obi-Wan cardfront is clearly the standout of the two. The Ahsoka artwork was, I believe, designed to bear a resemblance to voice artist and actress Ashley Eckstein, who provides the voice of Ahsoka in the CLONE WARS animated series.
Old July 16 2012, 03:04 AM   #880
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I'm curious...how many folks here actually take their figures/vehicles out of the box?

I used to do that with great joy. Now I'm super paranoid and never take anything out of the box.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 03:10 AM   #881
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

^
A rather rough estimate, mind you, but about 70-30 with me. I keep about two-thirds of everything in the box or on the blister card, the rest I open for display.
Old July 16 2012, 03:25 AM   #882
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

Also does anyone know if Art Asylum is actually still producing Trek figs/ships/tech? It seems like its been ages since anything has come out. The last thing I remember was the Communicator from Trek II. It was a faithful replica but I never understood why they picked such an awful prop to replicate.

Green Day
Old July 16 2012, 03:27 AM   #883
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I take everything out of the box. These are miniature sculptures, not investments. In my eyes, they are meant to be taken out of the box and displayed. I love taking pictures of mine posed, as well. I've created a few mini-comics with my action figures before.
Old July 16 2012, 04:09 AM   #884
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
^
A rather rough estimate, mind you, but about 70-30 with me. I keep about two-thirds of everything in the box or on the blister card, the rest I open for display.
How do you decide what you're going to open and what stays in the box? Do you buy duplicates?

One of the things I started doing was buying open items if it was something that I knew that I wanted to display. They are cheaper and then I don't beat myself up about breaking the seals. It helps that I know if this great shop here on the Northside of Chicago that sells lots of used and vintage genre collectables for cheap. I've found all kinds of cool figs to decorate my desk at work.

Green Day
Old July 16 2012, 04:16 AM   #885
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Duplicates usually determine what gets opened, yeah. Not always, mind you. Sometimes I'm able to get just one of something and if it was particularly hard to find or shipped in low numbers/quantities I leave it in the package because...well...you just don't know if you can get another one.

But the vast majority of what I've opened are duplicates and extras.