Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 15 2012, 05:19 PM   #151
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Urban outs the villain. Maybe.

Mach5 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I still don't get why people think we're getting a remake?
It may not technically be a "remake", but they are revisiting something that's already been done.
Well Star Trek itself has already been done too.
Old July 15 2012, 05:55 PM   #152
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Wait a minute...

You have a problem with them using Khan who we haven't seen on screen in thirty years, but have no problems with Klingons and Romulans being in it? Those two have been used over and over and over again in the last forty-five years.

I really don't understand...
Khan - a specific character

Klingons - species / culture
Romulans - species / culture

both potential sources of countless diverse characters.

Nero and his gang were like no Rommies we've ever seen before. General Chang was very much unique too.
Old July 15 2012, 05:58 PM   #153
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

You weren't asking for an interesting character; you were just asking for a species. Why not just ask for an interesting character, if that's what you really want, regardless of his, her, or its species?
Old July 15 2012, 06:10 PM   #154
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Wait a minute...

You have a problem with them using Khan who we haven't seen on screen in thirty years, but have no problems with Klingons and Romulans being in it? Those two have been used over and over and over again in the last forty-five years.

I really don't understand...
Khan - a specific character

Klingons - species / culture
Romulans - species / culture

both potential sources of countless diverse characters.

Nero and his gang were like no Rommies we've ever seen before. General Chang was very much unique too.
But we've seen a shit-ton of Klingons and Romulans over the years. So much so they've really began to blend together. Nero and his gang were like no Romulans we've ever seen because they didn't act like anything other than a gang of thugs that you can find on street corners in any American city.

Last edited by BillJ; July 15 2012 at 06:30 PM.
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 07:56 PM   #155
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

So Karl Urban finally releases the "footage" from Trek XII right?

Kinda.

In other news I wanna try surfing. I hear it's fun.
Old July 15 2012, 11:47 PM   #156
Trekkie2
Commander

indranee wrote: View Post
Bob Orci said that both Alice Eve and Cumberbatch are playing Canon characters. Has that been talked about here yet?

I'm thinking Eve as Carol Marcus. I'm leaving the Cumberbatch thing alone. No use driving myself even further up the wall.
I thought Abrams said Eve's character was new to canon. Now Orci says the character is canon?

Why would Marcus be in a flight suit in a scene with Spock (given the probability that she is the lab tech, Mitchell set Kirk up with)?

I think these guys are feeding us all kinds of garbage, and sitting back, waiting to see if we'll digest it.
Old July 16 2012, 12:12 AM   #157
The Wormhole
Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
Bob Orci said that both Alice Eve and Cumberbatch are playing Canon characters. Has that been talked about here yet?

I'm thinking Eve as Carol Marcus. I'm leaving the Cumberbatch thing alone. No use driving myself even further up the wall.
Actually, Alice Eve is playing a "new to canon" character, whatever the hell that means. Presumably, it's just his maddeningly cryptic way of saying new character.
*buzzer*

Fuck me up the goat ass. So just what the hell did they mean when they said "new to canon" anyway?
Old July 16 2012, 12:50 AM   #158
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Although Weller is a totally different physical type from the actor who originated the role, it strikes me that Harry Mudd could easily be described as a businessman/CEO with his own ship. And if he is playing Mudd, perhaps the story combines both "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd" into a single tale, with Cumberbatch playing the android Norman. (Who, as I recall, also wore a Starfleet uniform, and was immune to Spock's nerve pinch.)
Old July 16 2012, 01:28 AM   #159
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^According to the new interview, Peter Weller is a new character, so he can't be Harry Mudd.
Old July 16 2012, 01:32 AM   #160
BillJ
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
^^According to the new interview, Peter Weller is a new character, so he can't be Harry Mudd.
I don't buy anything they say about the film at this point...
Old July 16 2012, 02:12 AM   #161
Jack Frost
Commodore

^Take THAT to the bank! The con (or is it Khan?) is on, like never before. Trekdom is being playing seven ways to Sunday. I suspect opening day seats will be sold out weeks, or months, in advance. Well played PTB!
Old July 16 2012, 02:49 AM   #162
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

People get all excited at the idea of Gary Seven or Gary Mitchell, but when they hear "Khan" they yelp "remake."

That makes no fucking sense.

Khan is a genuine character, thanks both to Montalban and to a narrative which established a long history for him prior to meeting Kirk and company and a life on-screen that went on to encompass fifteen or twenty years.

Mitchell is a one-off, with no significance or life other than servicing the demands of a very specific plot; you either tell the story of How Gary Became God or you get the fuck out. Seven is even less than that, a cardboard set-up for a TV series no one was interested in (not even to the extent of being willing to fund a stand-alone pilot).

There hasn't been a detail released - granted, there haven't been many, period - suggesting that this movie is a remake of anything.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 03:01 AM   #163
BillJ
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Mitchell is a one-off, with no significance or life other than servicing the demands of a very specific plot; you either tell the story of How Gary Became God or you get the fuck out.
I agree that a film featuring Mitchell would have to be much more a straight remake of previous material than one featuring Khan.
Old July 16 2012, 03:50 AM   #164
Devon
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
People get all excited at the idea of Gary Seven or Gary Mitchell, but when they hear "Khan" they yelp "remake."

That makes no fucking sense.
Exactly.

There hasn't been a detail released - granted, there haven't been many, period - suggesting that this movie is a remake of anything.
It's because said people have a one dimensional way of thinking without actually stopping to think about what they are saying. It's simplifying the name "Khan" to "The Wrath of Khan."

Bob Orci posted on TrekMovie the other day that some fans are not familiar with the works of Greg Cox, who he commented that he greatly admired. Greg has shown that you can do more with Khan than "The Wrath of Khan."
Old July 16 2012, 04:16 AM   #165
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I think it was the Variety article that announced Alice Eve's addition to the cast as a "new to the canon" character, I don't recall if there were any quotes from the producers to that effect in the article. Either Variety was mistaken, misinformed or the character was changed to a canon one during production.