Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 15 2012, 04:30 PM   #31
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Concept art

If I'm "Joe Regular" and see this art I'm not instantly interested.
A response to ones friend could go like this.
"Is that a, a..raccoon? What's that in the back..that's not a tree is it?"
People seem to like the Ents in the LOTR movies, so who knows how they will react...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 08:04 PM   #32
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I'm not sold on that concept art either. Rocket Raccoon will be hard to do convincingly and not seem cartoony.

Speaking for myself, I'd rather see Bug, in the movie as I was a huge fan of the old Micronauts comic. In fact, Marvel-- Do a Micronauts movie insteasd! Of course, they couldn't use the name "Micronauts", which takes away name recognition the movie may or may not have with Joe Blow movie-goer, but it could still make an awesome movie.
Old July 15 2012, 08:08 PM   #33
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Okay, Rocky and Groot are easy to spot and I presume that the two on the ends are Gamora and Drax, despite not looking anything like the Gamora and Drax I remember, but who's the guy with the guns supposed to be, Warlock or Quasar? Neither one of them ever used guns, of unlikely size or otherwise.
Old July 15 2012, 08:11 PM   #34
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Concept art

You're right, they shouldn't bother. They should just bring out an Adam Sandler comedy or Jennifer Anniston rom-com instead. Sod taking a chance every now and then.
Easy there. Just pointing out that compared to very real, if hyper-realized, world the MCU has created even by including demi-gods and aliens a talking raccoon is a whole other leap entirely. Gambles are good, all of Phase One was essentially that. At some point hedging bets is also good.
I do envision an uneven amount of people who would go WTF? versus "seems interesting".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 08:14 PM   #35
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Okay, Rocky and Groot are easy to spot and I presume that the two on the ends are Gamora and Drax, despite not looking anything like the Gamora and Drax I remember, but who's the guy with the guns supposed to be, Warlock or Quasar? Neither one of them ever used guns, of unlikely size or otherwise.
Star-Lord
Peter Quill is born during an unusual astronomical phenomenon when many of the planets align. Seeing no resemblance, the man who believed he was Quill's father accuses his wife Meredith of infidelity and attempts to kill the infant, but dies of a sudden heart attack. Quill is raised by his single mother until she is killed by an alien. Quill is placed in an orphanage but escapes and eventually becomes a trainee NASA astronaut. An alien entity called the Master of the Sun eventually visits the space station that Quill and other astronauts are inhabiting, and offers the mantle of Star-Lord (an interplanetary policeman) to a worthy candidate. Quill volunteers, but is rejected in favor of a colleague he once treated badly.
Quill is outraged, and NASA orders his return to Earth and discharge for his conduct. Instead, he steals a scoutship, returns to the space station, and takes his colleague's place. Quill becomes Star-Lord, with the Master of the Sun first creating an illusion in which the character is able to find and kill the aliens that murdered his mother to free him of his past. Equipped with a sentient vessel called "Ship", Quill commences his role as Star-Lord.
Old July 15 2012, 08:34 PM   #36
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Ah, Starlord. I know him well. He was created by one of my favorite writers. It doesn't look like him either, really, but I assumed it was supposed to be someone mentioned in the original post. At least Starlord did carry a gun.
Old July 15 2012, 08:41 PM   #37
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The current version of Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good--they were kinda like Starfleet officers on acid to some extent, IMO--but I also liked the previous version in the '90s which was very much "superheroes in space" (complete with impractical spandex costumes even).
http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/u...the_Galaxy.jpg
Old July 15 2012, 09:20 PM   #38
JD
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Concept art

You're right, they shouldn't bother. They should just bring out an Adam Sandler comedy or Jennifer Anniston rom-com instead. Sod taking a chance every now and then.
I have to give Marvel credit for actually being willing to take a chance and adapt one of their stranger (from a mainstream perspective) properties.
I think it'll be really interesting to see what other movies we start to get if this is as much of a success as their other movies.
Old July 16 2012, 04:32 PM   #39
CaptainCanada
Admiral

While there are many ways it could come off badly, I'm tickled that they're actually going to try and bring Rocket Raccoon to the screen.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 04:54 PM   #40
superdeluxe
Captain

Concept art

I'm guessing the first trailer will give us how the movie is going to feel, that is the most important. Obviously seeing a raccoon and a tree in a group makes for some strange action scenes.

Trailer is really important.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2012, 09:20 PM   #41
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
While there are many ways it could come off badly, I'm tickled that they're actually going to try and bring Rocket Raccoon to the screen.
The narrow window to "get it right" is the ballsy play.
Will he look more like Caesar from Apes reboot (meaning believable) or Scooby Doo?

Marvel has had such a good streak that the first hint of a bad decision will be magnified.
Old July 16 2012, 10:42 PM   #42
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Rocket's a foul-mouthed, furry animal. What could be better?

This is the time for Marvel to take chances on their movies and I'm glad they decided to do so with Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm actually betting on Rocket Racoon and Groot being the breakout "stars" of the movie, as they were in the series (to the extent that, when Guardians ended and Marvel published two mini-series with The Annihilators--pretty much all their All-Star cosmic heroes--Rocket and Groot got a back-up in each mini).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2012, 12:07 AM   #43
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Easy there. Just pointing out that compared to very real, if hyper-realized, world the MCU has created even by including demi-gods and aliens a talking raccoon is a whole other leap entirely. Gambles are good, all of Phase One was essentially that. At some point hedging bets is also good.
I do envision an uneven amount of people who would go WTF? versus "seems interesting".
I have to wonder if the August 4th day is so the movie is away from summer blockbusters.

Like some have said, it's an out of the field choice for a marvel movie.

If it does fail I don't think Marvel will shed too many tears
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 10:24 PM   #44
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

DnA comment on the "Guardians" movie...
Old July 25 2012, 02:22 AM   #45
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
While not unexpected, I am sad to hear they're not involved in the film making. However, it is nice that they recognized Keith Giffen and Jim Starlin.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote