Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 15 2012, 05:21 AM   #136
indranee
Vice Admiral

Re: Urban outs the villain. Maybe.

Bob Orci said that both Alice Eve and Cumberbatch are playing Canon characters. Has that been talked about here yet?

I'm thinking Eve as Carol Marcus. I'm leaving the Cumberbatch thing alone. No use driving myself even further up the wall.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 05:26 AM   #137
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I'm still thinking Section 31 is in here SOMEWHERE. The organization itself reeks of plot and cinema deliciousness.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 05:32 AM   #138
The Wormhole
Admiral

indranee wrote: View Post
Bob Orci said that both Alice Eve and Cumberbatch are playing Canon characters. Has that been talked about here yet?

I'm thinking Eve as Carol Marcus. I'm leaving the Cumberbatch thing alone. No use driving myself even further up the wall.
Actually, Alice Eve is playing a "new to canon" character, whatever the hell that means. Presumably, it's just his maddeningly cryptic way of saying new character.
Old July 15 2012, 05:38 AM   #139
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post

Actually, Alice Eve is playing a "new to canon" character, whatever the hell that means. Presumably, it's just his maddeningly cryptic way of saying new character.
*buzzer*

"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 06:38 AM   #140
Saul
Rear Admiral

Eve and Cumberbatch are playing canon characters. So someone we have seen before. Marcus and Khan?
Old July 15 2012, 07:09 AM   #141
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Not Mitchell.

Kha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-n!

Roberto Orci, screenwriter of the last and next Star Trek movies, confirmed to TrekMovie.com what Orci told me June 23 on KERN-AM radio: Benedict Cumberbatch will not play Gary Mitchell in the next Star Trek movie.
Karl Urban, who plays Dr. McCoy in the new movies, joked this week that Cumberbatch would be playing Mitchell. Many journalists took Urban’s comment seriously.
"He’s awesome, he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary,” Urban jested when asked about Cumberbatch's Trek character during a "Dredd" promotion.
“I would say that I never lie,” Orci told TrekMovie when asked about his radio interview with me, “while Karl tests all those hypo spray props on himself.”
Numerous reliable non-Urban sources indicate that Cumberbatch is playing Khan Noonian Singh, the role created by Ricardo Montalban in the Trek TV series and the second Trek movie.
Link
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 11:59 AM   #142
Mach5
Rear Admiral

So basically, we ARE getting a TWOK redoux. In 3D.

Oh joy.
Old July 15 2012, 01:50 PM   #143
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Mach5 wrote: View Post

Oh joy.
I still don't get why people think we're getting a remake? The motivation for Khan will have to be totally different as Kirk never stranded him in this timeline. Plus, Space Seed is too thin on story and too talkie for a modern action movie.

If it is Khan, we will be going down a totally different road with the character.
Old July 15 2012, 02:14 PM   #144
Saul
Rear Admiral

Oh joy.
No no, it's a Space Seed redux
Old July 15 2012, 03:12 PM   #145
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Cumberbatch will be playing DTI agent Lucksly, sent back in time from the 24th century on a desperate quest to repair the timeline. He can shrug off Spock's neck pinch and Uhura's phaser blast due to his sheer nerd rage at all the canon violations going on all around him.
Old July 15 2012, 04:09 PM   #146
Procutus
Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
He can shrug off Spock's neck pinch and Uhura's phaser blast due to his sheer nerd rage at all the canon violations going on all around him.

Old July 15 2012, 04:15 PM   #147
Mach5
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I still don't get why people think we're getting a remake?
It may not technically be a "remake", but they are revisiting something that's already been done.

But then again, to expect originality from the gang that brought us Transformers II wouldn't be very realistic, or fair FTM.

I just hope (nu)Klingons play important role in the movie. Wouldn't hurt to see some Romulans either. Real, BoT type Romulans, not tattooed roughnecks.
Old July 15 2012, 04:19 PM   #148
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

"Klingons" have already been done. Not counting I:TMP and IV:TVH, and not counting a film just because Worf's in it, we've got III:TSFS, V:TFF, VI:TUD, VII:GEN. Why, that's 40% of the pre-nuTrek films!

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; July 15 2012 at 04:33 PM.
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 04:48 PM   #149
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

UFO wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post

Still not convinced though... I have absolutely no idea now who is the villain.
Maybe you won't even know who the villain is after you've seen the whole film.
Hey, that's exactly the kind of subtly nuanced story I'm looking for ...
Moral ambiguity can make for an interesting story.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 04:57 PM   #150
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
I still don't get why people think we're getting a remake?
It may not technically be a "remake", but they are revisiting something that's already been done.

But then again, to expect originality from the gang that brought us Transformers II wouldn't be very realistic, or fair FTM.

I just hope (nu)Klingons play important role in the movie. Wouldn't hurt to see some Romulans either. Real, BoT type Romulans, not tattooed roughnecks.
Wait a minute...

You have a problem with them using Khan who we haven't seen on screen in thirty years, but have no problems with Klingons and Romulans being in it? Those two have been used over and over and over again in the last forty-five years.

I really don't understand...