Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 12 2012, 06:33 AM   #181
STR
Captain

Re: Civilization V

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Arabia's AI let me win.
Yes it did, which is the main reason why I prefer Civ 4. It was probably dumber in C4, but had better judgement.
Old July 12 2012, 11:58 AM   #182
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think the AI is discouraged from a diplomatic win because they have so much money all the time it wouldn't be fun. Granted, things might be different with the new City-State system, but it's still possible to use money in the right situation. If they did always aggressively go for diplo victory, the only way to beat them would be to ally with enough city-states and declare war, which is cheesy.

So my guess is they decided on diplo victory, but slow-played it rather than went aggressively.
Old July 13 2012, 07:20 PM   #183
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

STR wrote: View Post
Yes it did, which is the main reason why I prefer Civ 4. It was probably dumber in C4, but had better judgement.
The whole point of Civ5's AI is that it wants to win, it picks a victory condition early in the game and then pursues it relentlessly. In fact, that's why so many people hated the Civ5 AI, because if another civ got a hint that you were going for the same victory as it then they would hate you for it (something that was removed from G&K). Civ4's AI was more roleplay-y, it attempts to achieve victory but it's not as consumed with it as Civ5's. I just got beat to a spaceship victory in my most recent game and, let me tell you, the AI went for that victory with gusto. They completed the Apollo Program about 60 turns after me (marathon game), and then built all the components of the ship in the next 30 turns, while I was still at least 50 turns away from getting the last component. A few months ago I played a game with a real nail-biter of an ending, with four different civs vying for 4 different victories, which I only just barely won.

That's why I'm so confused by how Arabia flubbed their lead, in dozens of of Civ5 games I've never seen an AI screw up such a clear lead. What may have happened was that they were attempting a domination victory and had targeted me as the next victim as I was the weakest of the three remaining civs, but I had a defensive pact with Mongolia and Arabia was waiting for that to run its course before attacking me. But because diplomacy was reworked in G&K, things like defensive pacts can be renegotiated between turns so they never run out, and Arabia never never got an opportunity to take a shot at me without taking on Mongolia as well, which they weren't prepared to do. If that's the case then they should have gone for a plan B or C and aimed for a diplomatic or scientific victory, and that would indicate there's a problem with the way the AI pursues victory.
Old July 15 2012, 03:09 AM   #184
Alidar Jarok

For what it's worth, Civ5 DLC is 50% off right now for those who were interested in getting them but didn't think they were worth the price. I think the Civs and Map Scripts are worthwhile (I'd even add the wonders, although less so). The premade maps are probably not worth it.
Old July 15 2012, 03:54 PM   #185
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

There's a Civ flash deal ending shortly for those that are interested. Civs III, IV, & V (plus expansions and DLC, except G&K) for $25/€25. Civ V Game of the Year edition for $12.49/€10. Gods and Kings for 25% off.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I think the Civs and Map Scripts are worthwhile (I'd even add the wonders, although less so).
Continents Plus would be my perfect map script were it not for the fact that it places all the city states on islands. I don't understand the reasoning behind that but it makes the continents feel empty and makes city states even less important than normal.
Old August 2 2012, 07:26 AM   #186
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Alright guys, I need some help. I grabbed all the DLC's and the expansion while they were on sale and I started playing the game again. What exactly is the point/ purpose of religion? Sure, you get nice bonuses for founding a major religion, but what exactly are you trying to do with it? How do you benefit from spreading it across the land? I'm going ahead and trying to go all out with spreading my religion, but it is currently striking me as little more than a time-killer during your turn.

Am I missing something?

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 03:33 PM   #187
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Religion is subtle, but can be very effective, it's like a wonder that gets more powerful the more you spread it. Tithe is possibly the most powerful belief, +1 gold for every 4 followers is a massive boost to your economy if your religion becomes the dominant one. The Just War belief is very useful for aggressive civs, just have a great prophet accompany your army, have him convert the city you're attacking, and you instantly get a 20% combat bonus. Religion doesn't turn the game on its head, but it gives you extra leverage to help you achieve your goals.

There are also diplomatic bonuses for spreading your religion to other empires, if it becomes the dominant religion in another civ then you get a healthy diplomatic boost with them that makes it easier to become friends and form alliances. But if you forcefully spread your religion (using prophets and missionaries) to civs that have already founded their own religion, they'll get annoyed, and if you ignore their requests to stop then they may attack you.
Old August 30 2012, 03:34 PM   #188
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I think they should have added a religious victory condition to G&K similar to the Apostolic Palace (IIRC) in Civ 4. I can probably live without corporations though. I like the diplomatic marriage of city states ability that Austria has. It would be neat if there were a way for other countries to have a limited form of that ability with adjoining city states - perhaps after a combined long period of alliance and common religion.

Last edited by Asbo Zaprudder; August 31 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 04:15 PM   #189
Alidar Jarok

For those interested in getting DLC or Gods & Kings, there's a Steam sale going on now where everything is about half price (so $1.50-3.75 for a civ or combo pack).
Old November 22 2012, 04:26 PM   #190
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

If it's on sale for half price then there's a good chance it will be the daily deal or flash deal for 75% off at some point. That's the way it usually seems to work.
Old November 22 2012, 04:31 PM   #191
Alidar Jarok

Probably tomorrow, yeah. I don't want to keep monitoring it to find out. I'm hoping X-Com will drop even more tomorrow, but it'll probably stay at 33% off.
Old November 25 2012, 08:34 PM   #192
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

There we go, for the next 2 days all of the Civilization games are 75% off on Steam, including Gods and Kings.
Old November 25 2012, 10:24 PM   #193
Alidar Jarok

Nice.

Well, not for me since I have everything, but still nice.
Old November 25 2012, 10:44 PM   #194
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I put Civ 5 on my Christmas list. I love these types of strategy/world building games and there aren't enough of them.
Old March 15 2013, 04:15 PM   #195
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

New expansion incoming this summer: Brave New World

Firaxis have announced the second expansion pack for their life-destroying 4X strategy Civilization V. Brave New World not only increases the number of leaders, scenarios and wonders for budding empire builders to play with, but looks set to drastically overhaul two key areas of the game: Culture and Diplomacy. This is particularly great news for anyone who’s spent hours attempting to cajole Civ V’s fickle rulers.
Sounds promising. If this expansion is as good as God and Kings was and successfully adds greater depth to diplomacy then Civ5 would be almost perfect for me. (Except the universal happiness feature, I still don't like that.)