Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 14 2012, 06:30 PM   #121
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Urban outs the villain. Maybe.

BillJ wrote: View Post

But you'd lose much of the back story with Kirk and it really wouldn't resemble any of the events of Where No Man.... In a case like that, you're simply recycling the name as nothing there really resembles the character that came before.

That's a very good point and it does support the idea that the character isn't Mitchell. Plus, as you pointed out in your previous post, they already re-did WNMHGB in comic form, so would they really use the Mitchell character in the movie?

I realize I'm going out on a limb here a bit with this theory, but what if the events of the comic are the backstory to the new movie, in much the same way that 'Countdown' supplied off-screen material for Trek '09? Suppose Mitchell really didn't die, but his mutation not only kept him alive, but he continued to change? What if Section 31 decided to get investigate further and found that Mitchell was in fact alive and recruited him? I realize this is slightly far-fetched, but it's remotely possible. I mean, is it really any more way-out than Spock and Nero coming back in time, thus creating a new reality?

I have not had the chance to read the IDW version of WNMHGB, so I don't know how they treated the Kirk/Mitchell relationship. Can anyone who has read it tell me if they still met at the Academy and became friends there? Certainly, some of their history would be different; probably no Dimorus, but other things, such as the incident with the little blond lab technician, could have still happened.
Old July 14 2012, 06:38 PM   #122
Saul
Rear Admiral

I like the ideas you guys are throwing out but I don't see Section 31 popping up in this nor Gary Seven as they probably want to avoid time travel and references to other series.

For those who read the Mitchell IDW comic is it done in a way where back story wouldn't necessarily need to be explained in the movie?
Old July 14 2012, 06:42 PM   #123
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Saul wrote: View Post

For those who read the Mitchell IDW comic is it done in a way where back story wouldn't necessarily need to be explained in the movie?
Regardless of who it is, they're going to have to fill in the details of the backstory. Maybe 10,000 people read the comic every month and you have millions of people buying tickets.

Plus, I simply don't like the idea of them doing a sequel to a comic that was pretty shitty to begin with.
Old July 14 2012, 06:52 PM   #124
Procutus
Admiral

[QUOTE=BillJ;6636869]

Plus, I simply don't like the idea of them doing a sequel to a comic that was pretty shitty to begin with.

This sounds like you read the two-part Mitchell comic story. How different was it from the original episode and what was similar? I'm half-tempted to buy them at Comixology, but your comment makes me wonder if I should just avoid it.
Old July 14 2012, 07:05 PM   #125
BillJ
Admiral

Old July 14 2012, 07:31 PM   #126
Procutus
Admiral

^

Thanks for that.

Old July 14 2012, 07:46 PM   #127
BillJ
Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
^

Thanks for that.

Old July 14 2012, 07:56 PM   #128
Procutus
Admiral

^

Thanks, man. I may still have to check this out at some point, since Where No Man remains one of my favorite TOS eps. Even if it really has nothing at all to do with the new film, it would be an interesting read.
Old July 14 2012, 08:01 PM   #129
BillJ
Admiral

^

Thanks, man. I may still have to check this out at some point, since Where No Man remains one of my favorite TOS eps. Even if it really has nothing at all to do with the new film, it would be an interesting read.
Where No Man... ranks near the top of all of Trek for me, so maybe I'm overly critical.

It might not have been as bad if they had fleshed it out over three or four issues. So much of the nuance of the episode is missing and Dehner's absence is a huge hole.

Artwork is pretty though.
Old July 14 2012, 08:18 PM   #130
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^

Thanks for that.

Actually, there is a mention in the comic that Kirk was once marooned by Spock on another world called Delta Vega. So, they can't be the same.
Old July 14 2012, 08:19 PM   #131
Procutus
Admiral

^

Well, being a bit of a cheap-ass here, I just ordered the Volume I paperback of 'Ongoing' through the Euclid Public Library, so I should be able to read the first four issues for free. No one else is in line for it, so I should have it in about a week. I'll be curious to see if I can spot any of the 'Easter-eggs' Orci mentioned several months back.

Old July 14 2012, 08:19 PM   #132
BillJ
Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
^

Thanks for that.

Actually, there is a mention in the comic that Kirk was once marooned by Spock on another world called Delta Vega. So, they can't be the same.
It's been ten months since I read it. It sucks getting old.
Old July 15 2012, 12:04 AM   #133
UFO
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Still not convinced though... I have absolutely no idea now who is the villain.
Maybe you won't even know who the villain is after you've seen the whole film.
Hey, that's exactly the kind of subtly nuanced story I'm looking for ...
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 12:23 AM   #134
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Ain't that always the way?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 05:13 AM   #135
The Wormhole
Admiral

but what if the events of the comic are the backstory to the new movie, in much the same way that 'Countdown' supplied off-screen material for Trek '09?
Put simply, no. If IDW were to do a specific prequel for Trek XII like Countdown was for Trek XI, it would make the most marketing sense to release such a comic within six months of XII's release, just like Countdown was in fact within five months of XI's release. That way there it is a clear tie-in product with the movie.

While the ongoing has supposed hints about XII, it is not going to provide backstory for the movie. That is simply impractical and a bad marketing move.