Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old July 12 2012, 06:11 AM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Type one/type two phasers

Here's a screencap from A Private Little War showing the raised screen: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...ewarhd0489.jpg.

It's the third pic on the third row of http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnail...bum=47&page=17.
Old July 12 2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Timo
Admiral

...We might speculate that the emerging transparent block is not so much a "sight" as it is a "display" that assists in mode selecting. After all, our heroes basically never take aim in a fashion that would allow this block to assist - but in this picture, McCoy is using the phaser in a rare "light my fire" mode rather than the more usual kill, stun or make-vanish.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Albertese
Commodore

Could be. All I know is what Matt wrote on his drawing.

It seems to me that phasers fire often hits it's target without being directly pointed at it. Help me out it I'm misremembering something, but do our heroes ever miss a phaser shot? Seems to me that the weapon has it's own targeting computer that makes sure the beam hits a valid target, usually a person. Maybe it hits the person closest to the center of the axis of the phaser so aiming when there are multiple targets is important. The sight screen could be how you'd select a target (or at least see what the phaser thinks is the target) before you hit the firing stud.

There's no reason we can't assume it's just a mode select display, but I like it being a scope for several reasons. First, it complies with Jefferies design. Second, the forward end of the phaser I has a clear window for the sight which corresponds to another clear window on the pistol body which suggests that a through-line is indeed there, which makes sense in a LOS way of thinking.

YMMV

--Alex
Old July 12 2012, 05:37 PM   #19
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

^^No reason it can't be both? But I think the sighting feature would be used on the phaser II primarily, since your hand won't get in the way, and the phaser II is designed for longer range anyway?

On a related note, I wonder if Jefferies originally intended for the phaser I to be turned “upside down” when being fired, making pressing the trigger stud easier by using your thumb instead of your fingers; just a thought?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 07:03 PM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The purpose of the detachable type 1 unit is simply the 60's mindset of cool interlocking futuristic props. I love Trek, but the debates over science do get silly at times when a lot of times modern tech has surpassed Trek tech over the last 40 years. :P
Old July 13 2012, 02:20 AM   #21
blssdwlf
Commodore

If the targeting is selectable, then it would stand to reason that Professor Crater in "The Man Trap" forced his phaser to deliberately miss Kirk and Spock when he opened fire...

Perhaps once the target has been acquired, it lights up or does something to display to the firer that it has a lock and all they do is fire?
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 07:30 AM   #22
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

The WNMHGB phaser rifle DID have a crosshairs on the back of the "tower".

This is a HMS Studios replica showing the crosshairs
http://www.hms-studios.com/roddenber...haserRifle.jpg

YOu can also see it on this screencap from the ep (just not as clearly)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...t_Mitchell.jpg

On the question of the OP: think of the relationship between the Type 1 and 2 as being a little like a Baretta 93r. The Type 2 is the extended mag add on only.

There has been some speculation that at one time the Type 3/rifle was supposed to be done up with extensions for the pistol as well (adding a stock and maybe a barrel extension.

The original version of the "sniper" rifle in ST VI was built this way off of the "assault phaser", before they changed props.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 11:57 AM   #23
Timo
Admiral

There's no reason we can't assume it's just a mode select display, but I like it being a scope for several reasons.
Me, too. Although it's a bit problematic that our heroes basically never use this feature for targeting! That is, they don't bother to roll up the "vision block", and still they manage to hit their off-boresight victims.

I guess the lack of use could be explained by confidence in one's own abilities (and in one's abilities to predict what the automation will be doing, without having to confirm this beforehand from a screen). And that could apply both to aiming (and auto-aiming) and to mode selecting. Amusingly, when the function is seen used, it's by McCoy, our designated gun klutz (his phaser fails to fire in "Return of the Archons", is accidentally set on kill in ST2 when they board the Regula station, and may well have finished off "Nancy Crater" by accident when he probably would have preferred to stun the beast).

Timo Saloniemi
Old July 13 2012, 02:29 PM   #24
Albertese
Commodore

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
If the targeting is selectable, then it would stand to reason that Professor Crater in "The Man Trap" forced his phaser to deliberately miss Kirk and Spock when he opened fire...

Perhaps once the target has been acquired, it lights up or does something to display to the firer that it has a lock and all they do is fire?
Doesn't Crater use the older WNMHGB phaser? Perhaps that model lacked the self-selecting targeting feature of later models. I don't see anything which might be a screen on that prop...

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
The WNMHGB phaser rifle DID have a crosshairs on the back of the "tower".

This is a HMS Studios replica showing the crosshairs
http://www.hms-studios.com/roddenber...haserRifle.jpg

YOu can also see it on this screencap from the ep (just not as clearly)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...t_Mitchell.jpg

Oh cool! I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Timo wrote: View Post

I guess the lack of use could be explained by confidence in one's own abilities (and in one's abilities to predict what the automation will be doing, without having to confirm this beforehand from a screen). And that could apply both to aiming (and auto-aiming) and to mode selecting. Amusingly, when the function is seen used, it's by McCoy, our designated gun klutz (his phaser fails to fire in "Return of the Archons", is accidentally set on kill in ST2 when they board the Regula station, and may well have finished off "Nancy Crater" by accident when he probably would have preferred to stun the beast).

Timo Saloniemi
This is more or less exactly what I was thinking.

Perhaps the fact that the screen got so little use led to future Starfleet hand phaser designs lacking a targeting screen all together. The movie phasers and the TNG+ phasers all seem to be able to hit targets off bore-sight, and do so without any kind of visual sensor display. I suppose that the addition of an actual video screen sight was ultimately deemed frivolous and was eventually omitted.

--Alex
Old July 13 2012, 02:46 PM   #25
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

The roll up sight was used in several eps, it's just not obvious because they rarely did close ups. Someone has already posted a link to the best cap I know of showing the sight in a deployed position.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 03:11 PM   #26
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

If we can make a general-purpose computer with just a touchscreen for tactile input that fits in your pocket in the early 21st century, then in the imaginary 23rd century they can make a weapon which fits in your pocket that can wipe out a battalion, that never misses, and which has a few deceptively simple tactile controls.

I like the raised screen - a lot. Additionally, the idea of AI that assists in "double-click" aiming might not have been thought of in 1967, but it's perfectly in line with what we know today, and meshes well enough with what we saw on the show, in terms of type-1 usage.

The bigger problem in terms of the sight, whatever its nature, is: what happened to it when the type-2 was used?
Old July 13 2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Timo
Admiral

One might speculate that the Type 2 handle adds not just endurance and penetration power, but also computing power, and its onboard computer is so powerful that all manual aiming becomes unnecessary...

Since the top controls of Type 1 are still perfectly accessible in the combo, I guess the display could be raised, but AFAIK this never happens on screen.

Timo Saloniemi
Old July 14 2012, 12:43 AM   #28
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

But still why do you need to have them both locked together?
Old July 14 2012, 12:49 AM   #29
Lord Manitou
Commander

Since the beginning of Star Trek the phasor has has several settings. The light one just knocks you out, and the medium one drills a hole in you and the heavy one pulverizes or annihilates you. The second and third setting blasted an object because the beam came in contact with matter. The object must be represented by the ceramic site at the top whether it is used or not.
Janeway #1: Think, people we need options.
Janeway #2: I agree captain.

http://www.voyagr-ep-memorys.com/
Lord Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 03:01 AM   #30
blssdwlf
Commodore

Albertese wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post

Doesn't Crater use the older WNMHGB phaser? Perhaps that model lacked the self-selecting targeting feature of later models. I don't see anything which might be a screen on that prop...

You're right! He does use the older WNMHGB phaser.

But while looking, we have this gem in the 3rd image on the top row:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnail...lbum=1&page=21

(direct link below)
http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...ntraphd603.jpg

We can see Kirk's Phaser-1 attachment on his Phaser-2 is in the "pop-up" sight position as he fires on Crater

Perhaps the reason why a Phaser-1 is required for the Phaser-2 is that the Phaser-1 is the most expensive and difficult to manufacture part? The "smart" electronics and targeting and phaser energy generator reside in the Phaser-1. The Phaser-2 is just a frame that expands heat dissipation and has a large removable power pack. It would be inline with the idea that the TOS movie phasers also continue use a "core" Phaser-1 in the Phaser-2 units IMHO...
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote