Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 13 2012, 12:00 AM   #16
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo
Re: General Music Thread

Eyes wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
Eyes wrote: View Post

On a tangent to what you just said, I found this track a few months ago, that is quite amazing in its pretentiousness, it does spoken verse. The reason I mention it is that it mentions Peter Gabriel in a verse, then emphasises it as 'PETER GABRIEL FROM GENESIS'. It tickles me a bit:
Saint Etienne - Over The Border
Yeah, that band are quite well known in the UK, I never liked them. They are mind bogglingly boring.
They had passed me by completely until this album (despite living in the UK), I didn't know they had that rich a history (they go back to 1991, did not know that). I've only heard this and one other track and this was the only one that grabbed me though, I'm far from being a fan. I suspect from the other song, which seems more like their style, I wouldn't like them THAT much.
I'd only heard one or two songs by Saint Etienne in the mid to late 90s. They had some rather nice tunes back in the day, but nothing particularly stays long in the memory if I'll be honest.

Well, except their Christmas song, which I like:

Old July 13 2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Snow Is Falling
Vice Admiral

View Snow Is Falling's Twitter Profile

junxon wrote: View Post
oooh cool idea for a thread! not seen much music stuff on here before
Thanks
Not much music has been on here, and what has got lost in TV & Media after a while- it is a big forum. Rolled into one big thread however, it might last a while.
Snow Is Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 12:05 AM   #18
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

JayOwl wrote: View Post
Thanks
Not much music has been on here, and what has got lost in TV & Media after a while- it is a big forum. Rolled into one big thread however, it might last a while.
I just hope the thread doesn't get *too* crowded - I mean, we might have to branch out when it comes to the big topics like classical music, Elvis Presley, the Beatles, show tunes, N-Dubz...

Incidentally, I posted this in our Lounge this evening: find out what your music stereotype is...

http://labs.echonest.com/stereotypes/

Mine is:

You listen like

Hipster Mermaid

You were the quirky nerd before it was cool. In fact, you’ve done everything first: from shopping at Goodwill, to digging through vinyl crates at your aunt’s garage sale. But now that everyone’s off the bandwagon, you want to make sure they know you were there first. Not that you really care, because caring is lame unless it’s about the environment.

Based upon your affinity for artists like:
Beach House, Radiohead, The Apples in Stereo, Laura Marling
Hmm... I still don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

Last edited by Zulu Romeo; July 13 2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: you might like this...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 12:26 AM   #19
Snow Is Falling
Vice Admiral

View Snow Is Falling's Twitter Profile

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
Thanks
I just hope the thread doesn't get *too* crowded - I mean, we might have to branch out when it comes to the big topics like classical music, Elvis Presley, the Beatles, show tunes, N-Dubz...
Yes, let's stay well away from N-Dubz.
We can branch out to more threads if there's enough demand.

My thingy from the lounge, along with what I said:
I don't have "thisismyjam" so I entered a few artists that I could think of on the spot:
You listen like

Manic Pixie Dream Girl

You’re full of life, youth, spirit and plenty of quirks. With a healthy dash of crazy, you’re the right person to keep everyone on their toes and dancing ‘til they die. You like to spread your fairy dust on the more somber types that gravitate towards your exuberance.
Coldplay, Death Cab for Cutie, The Fray, Owl City
Hmm... some of that is right, like the "Manic" and the "Dream" but I'm not so sure about the "Pixie Girl" part.
I also wouldn't describe it as "pixie dust", maybe happiness (I'd like to think), and I'm not a dancer. Not bad otherwise.
Snow Is Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 12:37 AM   #20
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Speaking of classical music, it has just occurred to me that the BBC Proms 2012 begin on Friday night. Last year I tried to listen to most (if not all) the concerts on Radio 3 and on television, and even attended one of the Last Night concerts staged around the UK. I doubt I'll be able to do all of that this year, so I'll have to be selective in what to listen for.
Old July 13 2012, 12:39 AM   #21
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

when it comes to the big topics like classical music
Seriously though, does anyone actually REALLY like classic music? I'm probably equal parts classic fan as I am contemporary fan, asides form the usual timeless composers such as Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Elgar, Beethoven, etc - I'm really into some modern composers like Holst, particularly the interpretations of his compositions like The Planets, which everybody knows. I think my favourite version of the aforementioned suite is the Chicago Symphony Orchestra/James Levine arrangements which are magnificent - Mars, in particular is so powerfully performed that it's hard to listen to the London Symphony Orchestra's original recording after you've heard it.

I'm really into a lot of media composers too, I'm a pretty active gamer and video game music, particularly in the modern era (where monophonic NES style tracks went out the window in favour of "actually this sounds like a movie" style tracks) and in particular, I highly rate the composers of the Final Fantasy franchise of games. Some stuff has been done to death though, the Latin and Gregorian style chanting and Nordic warrior inspired stuff just doesn't work, unless you are Jeremy Soule - in which case you can apply the bored to tears stuff to a game like Skyrim and make it sound fresh and absolutely awe inspiring.

Anyway, enough about classical for now. In terms of contemporary music, I'm pretty eclectic and don't have a particular style of music that I cling to. I'm what you might call a musician, although I'm not a professional and I'm not very active currently, nor am I up for talking about it - I'm just simply going through a phase where I find it incredibly difficult to pick up a guitar, sit at a keyboard or even compose something on the computer without real instruments.

I'm not too into recent stuff, for instance, I find David Guetta to be extremely overrated and self serving. Almost every track of his I've heard (and I've heard a lot considering the amount of airplay the guy gets) sounds so similar that you could probably splice sections of each track together and create a new track that would sound exactly the same as every other track he has ever done, or will ever do! Not to mention that fact that the guy recruits female singers based on the fact that they look hot and nothing much else, sure they can sing but they can't sing and that's another reason why his tracks will always sound the same.

Don't like the hipster scene, I find bands like LMAO or whatever the fuck they are called to be intrusive. The last fucking thing I want to hear when I'm out shopping is "I'm sexy and I know it" in a repetitive, semi-whispered tone.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 01:02 AM   #22
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

i got:

You listen like

Anonymous

Who are you? I don't even know who you are. You don't even listen like a human being.

Nothing I've every seen before

i guess Susumu Hirasawa is just too obscure.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 01:59 AM   #23
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Admiral M wrote: View Post
Don't like the hipster scene, I find bands like LMAO or whatever the fuck they are called to be intrusive. The last fucking thing I want to hear when I'm out shopping is "I'm sexy and I know it" in a repetitive, semi-whispered tone.
LMFAO are about as far from the 'hipster scene' as you get. They fall under a similar category to David Guetta actually (who I stand more because he can make some incredible tracks when he's working with the right singers, when he works with the wrong ones... ugh). LMFAO are rappers with a dance beat. They are close to Hip-Hop but that's different from 'hipsters' who tend to be Pitchfork-loving alternative fans.

As for that test.. ugh.. for bollocks sake:

You listen like
Annoying Facebook Girl
You are a typical tweeny bopper, drama filled, teenager. You’re that girl who gets her heart broken every other day and decides to flood her timeline with popular sad songs.

Rihanna, Marina and The Diamonds, Gorillaz, ABBA, Alexis Jordan
Seriously? Ah, whatever. I don't care if you don't like my music taste, test. It seems to come up with this whatever popular solo artist I put in.
I tried putting Nightwish in on its own and it came up with Bella Swan. Marginally better but nowhere near what I wanted.
Old July 13 2012, 02:48 AM   #24
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Well, some of my favorite bands are:

Kamelot
Within Temptation
Nightwish
Rise Against
Judas Priest
Evanescence
Breaking Benjamin
Red Psykosonik
Hyde
Stabbing Westward
MELL
Linkin Park

I like pretty much anything, though I listen to hard rock, power metal, and industrial metal the most.
Old July 13 2012, 09:38 AM   #25
Pingfah
Admiral

Incidentally, I posted this in our Lounge this evening: find out what your music stereotype is...

http://labs.echonest.com/stereotypes/
That is completely stupid.

I put Queen, Ry Cooder, Stone Temple Pilots, Bjork, The Cult and Janelle Monae, and it says I am a True Grunger

Because I put STP presumably, who aren't even a grunge band. Certainly none of the others are.
Old July 13 2012, 10:41 AM   #26
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Seriously though, does anyone actually REALLY like classic music?
Yep, although it's pretty daunting to get into. Fortunately there's a range which is pretty much a 'greatest hits' collection for each composer. So far I think Dvorak is my favourite.

That stereotype quiz was a bit of a let down, I put loads in but it seemed to take about 4 bands and made my stereotype from that.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 10:49 AM   #27
Pingfah
Admiral

What was your stereotype?

Rock 'n Roller?
Old July 13 2012, 11:19 AM   #28
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Staredad Because of Queen, The Beatles and Zeppelin apparantly...

Old July 13 2012, 11:29 AM   #29
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Yep, although it's pretty daunting to get into. Fortunately there's a range which is pretty much a 'greatest hits' collection for each composer. So far I think Dvorak is my favourite.
It's not easy to know where to start with classical music. I suppose it could be as easy as choosing a composer or a period of classical music you like, look around that body of work, and take off from there.

There are classical music compilation albums out there as well, showing some of the very best classical music and operatic works, for those looking to start from scratch - a family friend of ours borrowed our copy of "The Best Classical Music in the World... EVER!" in order to start his interest, for example.

Some even got into it from listening to other sources, like the "Hooked On Classics" series (although personally I find that series rather cheesy, and never really liked it ). The soundtrack to Sid Meier's Civilization IV features a lot of Western classical music, which progresses as you go through the various eras of the game, from early plainchant through to works from composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, and eventually John Adams.

I took musical instrument lessons at school, so I was introduced to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Chopin from my teachers while learning the piano and violin. Interestingly, my classical music interests began roughly with the Baroque and early Classical eras, and, as I grew up, it later evolved into loving the classical music of the early to mid 20th Century.

The early classical music, especially works by JS Bach, appeal to me on an intellectual basis, while later works by the likes of Elgar, Dvorak, Shostakovich and Rachmaninov appeal to my emotional core. Beethoven will always be my favourite, though.

The Proms concerts showcase all sorts of classical music including non-European and non-Western works, and from all eras, although there seems to be a particular focus on classical and orchestral music of the last 100 years or so, including brand new compositions. These concerts might be a good starting-off point for getting into contemporary classical music.

Last edited by Zulu Romeo; July 13 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 12:00 PM   #30
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post

It's not easy to know where to start with classical music. I suppose it could be as easy as choosing a composer or a period of classical music you like, look around that body of work, and take off from there.
That's what I basically did at first. I looked on youtube and just clicked on random videos. Amazon is good where you can sample 30 seconds of a song off a cd, so you can get some impression as to what the music is like.

I do find it hard to remember the names of pieces of music though.

And yeah, Civ IV does have great background music!