New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 4 2012, 11:41 PM   #196
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

Finally got around to starting the book yesterday, will eventually give my thoughts both on the story and it's dip into exploration of the Singularity.

RAMA
Old July 5 2012, 12:05 AM   #197
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Don't we have a "yawn" smiley yet?

The Japanese like their robots too, but theirs are cuter. None of this advances AI an inch.

We will be using fossil fuels in 20 years. I guarantee it.
AI is advancing even if it's slowly. I remember in the 90's when people were ready to give up on speech recognition. Now we have Siri and Google speak. I also remember people saying that computers would never go beyond brute force computation, but look there's Watson using adaptive algorithms to win Jeopardy.

When humans develop AI, it won't be like HAL9000 or Data. It'll probably be like an advance app that runs in the background.
There are real breakthroughs now, and as opposed to the linear, straight ahead thought process common on these threads, the evolution of AI is a parallel process, that results from the technological advances in different fields based on exponential info technologies from many different investment sources(hence sojourner's easily dismissed gripe about one technophilanthropist being ineffectual), the advances in the general field of AI are accelerating...and here is one way they have been, even over the last decade when AI was seemingly not advancing, it still made progress, there are a few basic examples here (some of which I have made before) that demonstrate the magnitude of these changes in a short time...but of course, since even that rate is accelerating, there is much more to come..

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/09/kho...-intelligence/

And as usual, there are quite a few examples of AI improving...and those who drive it forward...they are definitely NOT the people who say it can't be done.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...ts-with-morals
Old July 5 2012, 12:09 AM   #198
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

*yawn*
Old July 5 2012, 12:14 AM   #199
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
*yawn*
I never expected you'd "get it" so just go back to sleep.
Old July 5 2012, 12:14 AM   #200
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Just started my copy too...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 12:22 AM   #201
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
*yawn*
Klaus wrote: View Post
Just started my copy too...
Old July 5 2012, 12:30 AM   #202
sojourner
Admiral

Well, no one denies that AI research is advancing. We've just got enough experience to avoid the gullibility of betting everything on the Singularity. If it happens, fine. But don't spend your life waiting for it. That's folly.
Old July 5 2012, 04:27 AM   #203
RAMA
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Well, no one denies that AI research is advancing. We've just got enough experience to avoid the gullibility of betting everything on the Singularity. If it happens, fine. But don't spend your life waiting for it. That's folly.

Again you misunderstand...

Im not waiting(already said the timeframe could be 2035-2100 and I'd only have an outside chance to experience it), however, there is a large number of people in industry, economics, technology and even politics that are aware of the predictions based on mathematics, as well as the accuracy of predictions, and they are making it a self-fulfilling prediction...they know what milestones to hit, and they are out there investing in it, they are creating education for it (Singularity University), they are using the already existing advancement of technology to spur further growth. This is the sort of action that could make it appear sooner in the prediction rather than latter.

People are certainly claiming AI is not growing on these threads, they still think it's in an AI winter. It's the same but different, don't you know that?

Another current application showing the wide ranging spread of AI:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...813948080.html

You always knew it'd be Google:

http://io9.com/5923496

RAMA
Old July 5 2012, 04:50 AM   #204
sojourner
Admiral

Hate to tell you this, but I do understand. I've understood from the beginning and discovered the Singularity theory before even being a member of this board.

We get it. You are in love with the idea. It makes you wet at night. Now can you stop dragging it into every freaking post you make?
Old July 5 2012, 06:00 AM   #205
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Two articles full of generalizations, unsupported declarations and failures to define, much less critically examine the broadest of assumptions?

Speech recognition appears to be the one concrete accomplishment that, for some reason, AI enthusiasts claim as evidence of progress. It's not really that at all.

I guess if one doesn't know anything about software development one might be impressed.

Eh.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:23 PM   #206
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Two articles full of generalizations, unsupported declarations and failures to define, much less critically examine the broadest of assumptions?

Speech recognition appears to be the one concrete accomplishment that, for some reason, AI enthusiasts claim as evidence of progress. It's not really that at all.

I guess if one doesn't know anything about software development one might be impressed.

Eh.
Actually this assumption is incorrect, and know that based on an expert, so I'll take his informed opinion over yours any day.
Old July 12 2012, 11:30 PM   #207
RAMA
Vice Admiral

From David Brin'sFacebook: Science in 2021

Old July 12 2012, 11:34 PM   #208
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Hate to tell you this, but I do understand. I've understood from the beginning and discovered the Singularity theory before even being a member of this board.

We get it. You are in love with the idea. It makes you wet at night. Now can you stop dragging it into every freaking post you make?
Because it has implications for themes of this entire forum, from science, to SF, to ST, it is now impossible to separate the events leading to any Singularity from future extrapolation.

In other words, its not about cosplay at the San Diego Comicon and creating retro 50s tv shows anymore folks...its the real deal.

RAMA
Old July 12 2012, 11:40 PM   #209
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post

Because it has implications for themes of this entire forum, from science, to SF, to ST, it is now impossible to separate the events leading to any Singularity from future extrapolation.

In other words, its not about cosplay at the San Diego Comicon and creating retro 50s tv shows anymore folks...its the real deal.

RAMA
Well, until that massive technological breakdown that occurs in 26 years that leaves us all living in a Mad Max style post apocalyptic wasteland fighting for the last remnants of the precious juice.
Old July 12 2012, 11:57 PM   #210
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post

RAMA
Well, until that massive technological breakdown that occurs in 26 years that leaves us all living in a Mad Max style post apocalyptic wasteland fighting for the last remnants of the precious juice.

The only downside..I want those haircuts and a car with big spikes on it...sadly frowned upon....