RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,817
Posts: 5,472,683
Members: 25,037
Currently online: 559
Newest member: Sebastian380

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 12 2012, 11:07 AM   #361
Nelly334
Lieutenant
 
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Skywalker wrote: View Post
{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Having a history degree myself I have to ask: Is history education in the US really that terrible that we have those Slavery Apologists come out of the woodwork on trekbbs once in a while?
At least in public schools (below university level), most of the real details in just about every era are glossed over in order to get through everything quickly. It's not about learning so much as memorizing a few names and dates so that the students can pass their tests. No joke, the average American high schooler could probably learn more about a history topic from Wikipedia than they could from their own textbooks.
I learned my history on my own time, and atleast my school taught me the truth.
Nelly334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:24 AM   #362
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Nelly334 wrote: View Post
There just people, and if a person is a bad person, they should be killed.
I care very little about the American Civil War (just as I wouldn't expect people to care --or know-- very much about Italian Unification, for example), but advocating that people should be killed because they are "a bad person"... well, that's a comment a bad person would make, don't you think?

Beyond that, apology of slavery leaves me rather puzzled.

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Our water supply is just fine.

But even if I lived in Greece that wouldn't keep me from taking the piss when it comes to Slavery Apologists.
The water in Greece gave me the worst episode of the runs I ever experienced in my life. Still, I'll endure it again rather than being a slavery apologist.

Nelly334 wrote: View Post
And Europe is like a neutered and declawed bear, once majestic, now just laughable.
Actually, we are doing fine. Some troubles here and there, sure, but who never had them? In the end, I vastly prefer our current peaceful incarnation to ther raging colonialist arseholes we were in the past centuries.

Anyway: Slaveholders' Confederation, colonialist Europe... it seems you are quite adulatory of evil governments, aren't you.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:33 AM   #363
Nelly334
Lieutenant
 
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Nelly334 wrote: View Post
There just people, and if a person is a bad person, they should be killed.
I care very little about the American Civil War (just as I wouldn't expect people to care --or know-- very much about Italian Unification, for example), but advocating that people should be killed because they are "a bad person"... well, that's a comment a bad person would make, don't you think?

Beyond that, apology of slavery leaves me rather puzzled.

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Our water supply is just fine.

But even if I lived in Greece that wouldn't keep me from taking the piss when it comes to Slavery Apologists.
The water in Greece gave me the worst episode of the runs I ever experienced in my life. Still, I'll endure it again rather than being a slavery apologist.

Nelly334 wrote: View Post
And Europe is like a neutered and declawed bear, once majestic, now just laughable.
Actually, we are doing fine. Some troubles here and there, sure, but who never had them? In the end, I vastly prefer our current peaceful incarnation to ther raging colonialist arseholes we were in the past centuries.

Anyway: Slaveholders' Confederation, colonialist Europe... it seems you are quite adulatory of evil governments, aren't you.
You act like a powerful government that actually serves its citizens is a bad thing, i'd choose colonial britain anyday over modern britain. Any why do europeans scream humans rights and so forth as soon as people start discusssing proper punishments, bad people can't always be "fixed" and its often easier just to get rid of them.
Nelly334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:37 AM   #364
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Well, you should consider yourself very lucky that most people do not share your world view.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:39 AM   #365
Nelly334
Lieutenant
 
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Well, you should consider yourself very lucky that most people do not share your world view.
I wish it did, we need some strong governments to stand up to America before we go completely bankrupt with our world police nonsense, so far only Russia and China and Iran to a lesser extent have the fortitude to tell us off.
Nelly334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:40 AM   #366
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Nelly334 wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Nelly334 wrote: View Post
There just people, and if a person is a bad person, they should be killed.
I care very little about the American Civil War (just as I wouldn't expect people to care --or know-- very much about Italian Unification, for example), but advocating that people should be killed because they are "a bad person"... well, that's a comment a bad person would make, don't you think?

Beyond that, apology of slavery leaves me rather puzzled.

The water in Greece gave me the worst episode of the runs I ever experienced in my life. Still, I'll endure it again rather than being a slavery apologist.

Nelly334 wrote: View Post
And Europe is like a neutered and declawed bear, once majestic, now just laughable.
Actually, we are doing fine. Some troubles here and there, sure, but who never had them? In the end, I vastly prefer our current peaceful incarnation to ther raging colonialist arseholes we were in the past centuries.

Anyway: Slaveholders' Confederation, colonialist Europe... it seems you are quite adulatory of evil governments, aren't you.
You act like a powerful government that actually serves its citizens is a bad thing, ...bad people can't always be "fixed" and its often easier just to get rid of them.
That's why the Confederacy was crushed.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:42 AM   #367
Nelly334
Lieutenant
 
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Nelly334 wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I care very little about the American Civil War (just as I wouldn't expect people to care --or know-- very much about Italian Unification, for example), but advocating that people should be killed because they are "a bad person"... well, that's a comment a bad person would make, don't you think?

Beyond that, apology of slavery leaves me rather puzzled.

The water in Greece gave me the worst episode of the runs I ever experienced in my life. Still, I'll endure it again rather than being a slavery apologist.

Actually, we are doing fine. Some troubles here and there, sure, but who never had them? In the end, I vastly prefer our current peaceful incarnation to ther raging colonialist arseholes we were in the past centuries.

Anyway: Slaveholders' Confederation, colonialist Europe... it seems you are quite adulatory of evil governments, aren't you.
You act like a powerful government that actually serves its citizens is a bad thing, ...bad people can't always be "fixed" and its often easier just to get rid of them.
That's why the Confederacy was crushed.
No that is false, it was not in the Unions interest to lose so many young men in the war, that was a weak scared man in a stupid hat.
Nelly334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:48 AM   #368
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Logic is not your forte, eh?

Let's try again:

Nelly334 wrote:
if a person is a bad person, they should be killed.
iguana_tonante wrote:
advocating that people should be killed because they are "a bad person"... well, that's a comment a bad person would make, don't you think?
Nelly334 wrote:
bad people can't always be "fixed" and its often easier just to get rid of them.
iguana_tonante wrote:
Well, you should consider yourself very lucky that most people do not share your world view.
Nelly334 wrote:
I wish it did
See the dots? Now connect them.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:49 AM   #369
Nelly334
Lieutenant
 
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Logic is not your forte, eh?

Let's try again:

Nelly334 wrote:
There just people, and if a person is a bad person, they should be killed.
iguana_tonante wrote:
advocating that people should be killed because they are "a bad person"... well, that's a comment a bad person would make, don't you think?


iguana_tonante wrote:
Well, you should consider yourself very lucky that most people do not share your world view.
Nelly334 wrote:
I wish it did
See the dots? Now connect them.
Random quotes mean nothing...
Nelly334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:50 AM   #370
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Logic is indeed not your forte.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:51 AM   #371
Nelly334
Lieutenant
 
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Logic is indeed not your forte.

Do I hear an echo, or is just a simple minded person speaking like a parrot?
Nelly334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 11:57 AM   #372
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

You are so cute.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 12:01 PM   #373
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Nelly334 wrote: View Post

No that is false, it was not in the Unions interest to lose so many young men in the war, that was a weak scared man in a stupid hat.
It's true. The South didn't like the future and had to be brutally dragged into it.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 12:03 PM   #374
Nelly334
Lieutenant
 
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Nelly334 wrote: View Post

No that is false, it was not in the Unions interest to lose so many young men in the war, that was a weak scared man in a stupid hat.
It's true. The South didn't like the future and had to be brutally dragged into it.
The future my a**, the war was motivated by northern greed.
Nelly334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 12:06 PM   #375
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Nelly334 wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Nelly334 wrote: View Post

No that is false, it was not in the Unions interest to lose so many young men in the war, that was a weak scared man in a stupid hat.
It's true. The South didn't like the future and had to be brutally dragged into it.
The future my a**, the war was motivated by northern greed.
The black slaves didn't get any vote in forming the CSA, so tough.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
horror

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.