Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 11 2012, 04:15 PM   #31
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: Batman - The 1940s Serials

That's true. Also though Batman's ears in the 50s and 60s were much shorter than in the earliest days. So Adam West 's cowl was close to how it was in the comics of that time.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; July 11 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 04:21 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

If anything, the ears on Adam West's cowl actually bore more of a resemblance to real bat ears than those weird narrow points on Batman's more modern cowl designs.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 04:23 PM   #33
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Yeah the modern cowls look more like devil horns.
Old July 11 2012, 04:25 PM   #34
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I've been saying for years that the Batsignal is an obsolete notion; by now Commissioner Gordon should be doing something like sending Batman a tweet.

The Batwave was the coolest thing to come out of The Batman cartoon from a few years back. Of course the imagery wasn't as iconic as the Batsignal, but it was a hell of a lot more practical.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 04:33 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
The Batwave was the coolest thing to come out of The Batman cartoon from a few years back. Of course the imagery wasn't as iconic as the Batsignal, but it was a hell of a lot more practical.
Yeah, the Batwave was a nice update, and it disappointed me when they ditched it and brought back the silly old Batsignal.

Except it did bug me that his Batwave "phone" displayed a big blinking Batman logo on its screen. We saw instances where Bruce was in a public place when he got an alert. It should've been designed with some more discreet indicator, like a distinctive ringtone or a seemingly innocuous text message, something that wouldn't scream "Batman" to anyone who happened to be looking over Bruce's shoulder. Although of course I understand that cartoons are a visual medium, and that trumped plausibility in this case.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 04:38 PM   #36
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah, the Batwave was a nice update, and it disappointed me when they ditched it and brought back the silly old Batsignal.

Except it did bug me that his Batwave "phone" displayed a big blinking Batman logo on its screen. We saw instances where Bruce was in a public place when he got an alert. It should've been designed with some more discreet indicator, like a distinctive ringtone or a seemingly innocuous text message, something that wouldn't scream "Batman" to anyone who happened to be looking over Bruce's shoulder.
Good point. To be fair, my cell phone has the Superman symbol on it's touchscreen and nobody has ever outed me as the Man of Steel.
Old July 11 2012, 04:51 PM   #37
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

While I bet going the Batman Beyond route is more likey to happen, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a feature film play on a turn of the century Batman tale, ala the old Gotham by Gaslight story with Jack the Ripper or the Batman meets Harry Houdini comic.

Those are two of my favorite Batman storylines and done properly, would be awesome to watch.. Done properly, some steampunk elements could be woven in to add atmosphere (so to speak), but most movies seem to overdo steampunk weapons and technology (see Van Helsing)...
Old July 11 2012, 04:55 PM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
While I bet going the Batman Beyond route is more likey to happen, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a feature film play on a turn of the century Batman tale, ala the old Gotham by Gaslight story with Jack the Ripper or the Batman meets Harry Houdini comic.

Those are two of my favorite Batman storylines and done properly, would be awesome to watch.. Done properly, some steampunk elements could be woven in to add atmosphere (so to speak), but most movies seem to overdo steampunk weapons and technology (see Van Helsing)...
That could be fun. While I don't know about a live-action feature it would be fun to see the the animated films take a crack at some Elsworlds like stories.

But not likely to happen.
Old July 11 2012, 05:14 PM   #39
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

While I bet going the Batman Beyond route is more likey to happen,
Batman Beyond is a win, win thing because there are so many opportunities for Warner's to make money and for the fans to get more Batman.

Just think, you can produce two ongoing Batman film series. A contemporary Batman and then the future Batman of beyond. You don't even really have to worry about market saturation because they're two different characters (Wayne and McGinnis) in two different genres (noir and cyberpunk). In two different time periods. It would give Warner Brothers a license to print money.

Shit, even if one of the series is unsuccessful they can keep producing the other and we still got an extra Batman movie out of it.

How is it that they aren't doing this right now?
Old July 11 2012, 05:28 PM   #40
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Well it would be a lot more expensive. Also Batman Beyond is relatively new. Its probably going to wait until younger fans who grew up on it are in a position of power to get it made.
Old July 11 2012, 05:30 PM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

I like this idea of a period Batman. If I were doing a retro Batmobile I don't think you need to adapt an existing car. Maybe I'd start with something like a '48 or '49. Cadillac as a template and work from there. I could envision something of a bat like symbol incorporated into the front end and bat fins integrated into the rear fenders without getting too outlandish.

I don't think you could do Lucius Fox in the '40s except as technical guy. Certainly not as someone running Wayne Enterprises.

I'd continue to ignore Robin.
Old July 11 2012, 05:35 PM   #42
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

While I bet going the Batman Beyond route is more likey to happen,
Batman Beyond is a win, win thing because there are so many opportunities for Warner's to make money and for the fans to get more Batman.

Just think, you can produce two ongoing Batman film series. A contemporary Batman and then the future Batman of beyond. You don't even really have to worry about market saturation because they're two different characters (Wayne and McGinnis) in two different genres (noir and cyberpunk). In two different time periods. It would give Warner Brothers a license to print money.

Shit, even if one of the series is unsuccessful they can keep producing the other and we still got an extra Batman movie out of it.

Two Batmans are still two Batmans. No matter how different they are, the possibility remains for market saturation.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 05:37 PM   #43
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a version of Batman Beyond that's a continuation of the Adam West series. I'm sure West would jump at the opportunity.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I like this idea of a period Batman. If I were doing a retro Batmobile I don't think you need to adapt an existing car. Maybe I'd start with something like a '48 or '49. Cadillac as a template and work from there. I could envision something of a bat like symbol incorporated into the front end and bat fins integrated into the rear fenders without getting too outlandish.
I'd probably give him a regular-looking car that has a lot of hidden features and weaponry, similar to the Green Hornet's car or KITT.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 05:48 PM   #44
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

One of the key points of Batman Beyond is that we have the legacy right there in our face, with Bruce Wayne as McGinnis' support staff. We accept McGinnis because Wayne has given him is blessing and costume.

Showing Bruce Wayne alive in the future can be seen to negate any sense of danger the character may face in a film series set 'now.' Part of the thrill is for youngsters to believe the villain can kill Batman during the battle. That thrill is gone if he is shown alive in the Beyond movie the kids saw six months ago.

Yea, each film series having its own Bruce Wayne may negate that, but that would only confuse people about why there are two Waynes.

At least the way studio execs would justify it.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 05:54 PM   #45
Warped9
Admiral

Check these out for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoikC...feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_hbnU4jF9fw

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/02/03...bat-man-movie/

Last edited by Warped9; July 11 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote