Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 10 2012, 07:40 PM   #76
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Urban outs the villain. Maybe.

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I believe it was Orci who made reference to Terminator 2. The movie plays out in a way that you're not supposed to know that Arnold is the bad guy, but everybody knew that anyways. He'd imagined that the movie would have been so much better if that particular point hadn't been spoiled.
Hell, the T2 trailers pretty much spoiled that right out of the gate. Trailers these days give away too much plot detail.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 07:50 PM   #77
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Shape-Shifter wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yes, absolutely, the internet has made it possible for everything to be spoiled in advance, they don't want that, and many of us fans don't want that.
But some do want that. By them not offering that choice they are potentially disheartening a portion of the fan base. No one has their arm twisted to view spoilers, they are avoidable if one so chooses. Either way, the importunity for all to choose for themselves should be considered. IMO

I want to see the trailers, when they determine the proper time to see them. I don't want to know the entire plot a year in advance, and feel like I've already watched the movie before when I show up in the theatre to see it.
That's fine. These are your choices to make. However, again, the way Abrams does things causes a portion of the fan base to be denied the opportunity to choose for themselves.

Another thing, with Plot twists, people will complain about how predictable the plot twists were, of course they're predictable, if you have a full year in advance knowing the entire plot.
Agreed, absolutely some will. And surely not just 'plot twists'. Every aspect of revealed information will be fair game for the Microscope Crew to examine and express their opinions of for better or worse. It would then become the individual burden to read those opinions or not.

It's interesting, though, how often people who claim desire to remain spoiler free are so often found browsing and posting in this forum, in threads which the very titles warn of spoiler potential inside.
Actually, no, you can't avoid spoilers, entirely, unless you lock yourself up in a cave, once information becomes available.

I have no problem with minor spoilers, such as who the villian is, or who the guest stars are. What I don't want to know is big things, like So and So dies, or Vulcan will be blown up, or Starfleet is decimated by a Borg attack. If that kind of information gets out, people will be shouting it from the rooftops, without spoiler warnings.

The movie makers have decided what information they want to let out, and what would be spoiled by certain things coming out. So, no, you don't have the right to choose that for yourself, since what information is known ahead of time, is part of the Creative Process.

There are some, who's appreciation for the movie will not be affected by having the read the script in advance, but, there are alot more who seek out that kind of information, and it does change their first time viewing experience, which is indeed bad for word of mouth advertizing/marketing

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 07:56 PM   #78
Lonemagpie
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Lord knows I don't post the outlines for my upcoming novels on-line and let people have at them . . . .
But…but you owe it to the fans, man. How else can we tell you your book will suck before it gets to the stores? Christ, man. How do they even let you work in this business?
You're right. I should probably post my first drafts as well, just so that everybody can get an early look at the rough versions.
Or post pictures of the behind the scenes progress: where you're typing, where typing you are, where some typing is going on...

All sounds terribly exciting, doesn't it?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 08:03 PM   #79
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Shape-Shifter wrote: View Post
Yes, absolutely, the internet has made it possible for everything to be spoiled in advance, they don't want that, and many of us fans don't want that.
That's fine. These are your choices to make. However, again, the way Abrams does things causes a portion of the fan base to be denied the opportunity to choose for themselves.
Yeah...they're not entitled to that. Fuck 'em.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 08:05 PM   #80
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Which would have more people upset? Warp Drive fast enough to get them outside the Galaxy in such a short period of time (As in TOS)...
Such two-dimensional thinking... Do you believe the galaxy is spherical, or a flat spiral? In which direction is it stated that the Enterprise was traveling? Is the barrier only around the edge? Or the entire galaxy - above, below and around? Think about it.
Oh, this argument again. It didn't work when Saquist was trying to use it to rewrite the geography of STXI, it's not going to work now. But I do expect to see it again after STXII comes out.
Old July 10 2012, 08:15 PM   #81
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Gary Mitchell is my favorite Star Wars ever!
Old July 10 2012, 08:26 PM   #82
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Gary Mitchell was a Sith before there was a Star Wars.
Old July 10 2012, 08:39 PM   #83
Mach5
Rear Admiral

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Which would have more people upset? Warp Drive fast enough to get them outside the Galaxy in such a short period of time (As in TOS)...
Such two-dimensional thinking... Do you believe the galaxy is spherical, or a flat spiral? In which direction is it stated that the Enterprise was traveling? Is the barrier only around the edge? Or the entire galaxy - above, below and around? Think about it.
Just as the Earth has an equator, so too does the galaxy and we are about 14 light years above what's called the equatorial symmetry plane. As to the thickness of the disk, most current estimates put it at around 1,000 light years thick. Obviously our solar system lies very close to the galaxy's equator.
http://www.astrodigital.org/astronom...temgalaxy.html
So according to this, the Earth is 486 ly away from the nearest galactic threshold. Quite a journey, even at high warp, I'd say.
Old July 10 2012, 09:55 PM   #84
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

So white guy Benedict Cumberbatch with black hair and a Starfleet uniform is supposedly playing Starfleet white guy with black hair Gary Mitchell?

Nah, not buying it.

Khan.
Old July 10 2012, 10:10 PM   #85
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
So white guy Benedict Cumberbatch with black hair and a Starfleet uniform is supposedly playing Starfleet white guy with black hair Gary Mitchell?

Nah, not buying it.

Khan.

Old July 11 2012, 02:16 AM   #86
ralph
Captain

would it be a coincidence?

1- In the comic Spock uses the nerve pinch in Mitchell, he falls, loses some of the powers and Kirk shoots him with a phaser - In paparazzi photos, Spock tries to use the nerve pinch in Cumberbatch and fails.

2- In the comic Mitchell plays chess 3D with Kirk - in rumor Abrams was looking for a chess player to scene in the movie.

3- In the comic Mitchell's coffin is shot into space - Peter Weller talks about having a ship and being an executive.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 03:19 AM   #87
The Wormhole
Admiral

ralph wrote: View Post
would it be a coincidence?

1- In the comic Spock uses the nerve pinch in Mitchell, he falls, loses some of the powers and Kirk shoots him with a phaser - In paparazzi photos, Spock tries to use the nerve pinch in Cumberbatch and fails.

2- In the comic Mitchell plays chess 3D with Kirk - in rumor Abrams was looking for a chess player to scene in the movie.

3- In the comic Mitchell's coffin is shot into space - Peter Weller talks about having a ship and being an executive.
One thing we can be damned sure of right now is that the movie will not be a sequel to any of the comic books. It would be suicide for the movie to be a direct continuation of a comic book which only a small fraction of the Target Audience has read.
Old July 11 2012, 01:25 PM   #88
Mach5
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
One thing we can be damned sure of right now is that the movie will not be a sequel to any of the comic books. It would be suicide for the movie to be a direct continuation of a comic book which only a small fraction of the Target Audience has read.
Don't worry, I think Abrams knows that better than anyone.
Old July 12 2012, 02:39 PM   #89
ralph
Captain

In Trek Movie, Orci said:

"karl misspoke, however he only misspoke one word."

Opinions Sherlocks, rsrsrsrsrs.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 02:45 PM   #90
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Oooh, so he probably is Gary Seven. Which is odd, because Peter Weller looks FAR more like Gary Seven than Benedict Cumberbatch.