RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 679
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 8 2012, 03:27 AM   #1426
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Mass Effect 3

If any of you cool cats are as into the series' music as I am, you'll be just as happy to know that BioWare has decided to release the seven-track Extended Cut OST for free download from their site. You need either an Origin (ew) or a BioWare Social Network (not so ew) account in order to download, though, I believe. I have a BSN account, so it was easy-peasy. It's just a forum account, don't worry.

http://social.bioware.com/me3ecsoundtrack.php
Old July 8 2012, 03:28 AM   #1427
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Ah, and it was only then that I realized I was beaten to the punch. Oh well.
Old July 8 2012, 03:46 AM   #1428
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
You need either an Origin (ew) or a BioWare Social Network (not so ew) account in order to download, though, I believe.
Those are actually one-and-the-same now.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 03:55 AM   #1429
Skywalker
Admiral

If it makes you feel any better, Jeff (good to see you again, by the way!), I saw your post before I saw Reverend's edit. So, thanks!
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 04:51 AM   #1430
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Ah, so they are, ATimson, so they are. Good to know, I suppose. I still play Mass Effect on 360, but I'm switching over to PC sometime soon now that I have one capable of playing things more graphically complex than Final Fantasy VII.

And cool, Skywalker... and thanks!
Old July 8 2012, 08:56 PM   #1431
Skywalker
Admiral

So I'm listening to the soundtrack, and I think it's a lot better than I originally gave it credit for. I still wish Jack Wall had stuck around for ME3 (does anyone know what exactly happened there?), but Sam Hulick and company still did a good job.

I think it's pretty lame that they made a big deal about Clint Mansell coming on to do the music, but then he only ended up being responsible for two tracks (Leaving Earth and An End, Once and For All).
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 10:29 PM   #1432
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
So I'm listening to the soundtrack, and I think it's a lot better than I originally gave it credit for. I still wish Jack Wall had stuck around for ME3 (does anyone know what exactly happened there?), but Sam Hulick and company still did a good job.
With Clint Mansell's contribution being announced in February 2011, and the other composers not starting work until October 2011, it really looks to me like the change to Clint was entirely Bioware's choice, and then the other composers picked up the slack last-minute when he fell through.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old July 9 2012, 05:38 AM   #1433
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Yeah, that really wouldn't surprise me. I do miss Jack Wall, absolutely, but I've realized that overall I always kinda preferred Sam Hulick, and I feel as though much of Sam's finest work in the trilogy has come from ME3.
Old July 9 2012, 04:27 PM   #1434
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
With Clint Mansell's contribution being announced in February 2011, and the other composers not starting work until October 2011, it really looks to me like the change to Clint was entirely Bioware's choice, and then the other composers picked up the slack last-minute when he fell through.
I'm not sure if we can read too much into that, the scores to ME1 and ME2 were both the work of multiple composers, it's more than possible that Bioware always intended to get multiple composers involved in ME3 and that Clint Mansell was only hired for the main theme. Bioware got what they wanted out of the deal, Clint's name in big letters on the cover of the soundtrack, while most of the work was done by composers that worked for less money. It's win-win for them.

One thing I really appreciated about the extended cut soundtrack is that it ended with a reprise of the main theme, just like the endings of ME1 and ME2. An End Once And For All was a beautiful piece of music (except the final few seconds of the original version), but it only served as a callback to Leaving Earth. The new final track works better as the ending-point for the whole series.
Old July 9 2012, 04:42 PM   #1435
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

I get mad Serenity vibes from the tail end of that track. And in all the right ways. Right now, it's probably my favorite piece in the trilogy. Augh, augh, I love it.
Old July 9 2012, 05:44 PM   #1436
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Almost forgot. If anyone's interested, you can download the EC soundtrack for free here, straight from Bioware.
I will make sure to add these to my Ipod with the rest of the ost.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 05:59 PM   #1437
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I get mad Serenity vibes from the tail end of that track. And in all the right ways. Right now, it's probably my favorite piece in the trilogy. Augh, augh, I love it.
It's a beautiful track, but my favourite still has to be Suicide Mission. Combining the Mass Effect theme with The Illusive Man track (itself, an amazingly unsettling piece of music), infusing it with all the hopes, fears, and adrenaline that go along with that mission, and then Jack Wall turned the whole thing up to 11.
Old July 9 2012, 06:42 PM   #1438
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Suicide Mission is a very worthy contender, and perpetually in my top five. You totally nailed it, the rush of emotion really sells the fusion between two terrific pieces.
Old July 9 2012, 07:45 PM   #1439
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

I was thinking it reminded me of the end of Serenity while I was listening to the track last night also.
Old July 10 2012, 01:51 AM   #1440
ATimson
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if we can read too much into that, the scores to ME1 and ME2 were both the work of multiple composers, it's more than possible that Bioware always intended to get multiple composers involved in ME3 and that Clint Mansell was only hired for the main theme.
In the case of the earlier games my understanding was that Bioware hired Jack Wall and he reached out and selected the others to help, not that Bioware hired a team and expected them to magically gel.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
It's win-win for them.
Unless they scared off other composers with their midseries hijinks. Win-win for this product, maybe, but I doubt it was for the company as a whole.