Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?
Excellent 23 33.82%
Good 29 42.65%
Fair 10 14.71%
Poor 4 5.88%
Terrible 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 7 2012, 09:19 PM   #151
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Goody for the Ultimate comics, which also retconned the origin.
It's not a retcon when it's a new continuity (much like the films). Movie adaptations have always drawn from multiple versions of the character from over the years, particularly when, in this case, they're trying to do things differently from the '02 film.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 09:21 PM   #152
Mooch
Fleet Captain

I liked it quite a bit better than any of the previous Spider-Mans, mainly because I like the cast better, and the director and the composer. Script wise it's mostly a wash.

I would be interested in seeing a longer cut should one become available in the future.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 10:14 PM   #153
Warped9
Admiral

I had fun watching the Raimi films. This one not as much.
Old July 8 2012, 12:00 AM   #154
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I liked the movie, the music and chorepgraphy were good, Emma Stone is just awesome in anything she does, and Dennis Leary and Martin Sheen were cool.

However, I could see no reason why they needed to reboot, even if re-casting was necessary. The story bought nothing new to the franchise - at least nothing new that could not have easily been tacked onto the outstanding franchise (Gwen and Curt Connors were already established as characters. If Peter and Mary Jane had stayed split up at the end of 3, they could have used Venom and Lizard in 4, working up to Hobgoblin and Gwen's death in 5).

While I agree that Spider-Man 3 mis-stepped by being too obvious in its approach and tacking Venom on the end when he should have been the main villain in Spider-man 4, I thought 1 & 2 were pretty much note-perfect in terms of Maguire's character.

They tried too hard not to go over the same ground in this movie so it ended up being too humourless (although kudos to Stan Lee for one of his best cameos), and Peter was barely a nerd. Most of the dialogue was quite leaden and, while Garfield's performance was creditable, it just lacked what makes Peter Peter. Sally Field was given nothing to give May any sort of presence either.

In fact my overall opinion was that these were the characters in name only. There was nothing on screen that identified them as the characters from the comics. Like it or loathe it, the first trilogy did a fantastic job of portraying characters that were recognisable - especially JJJ!

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 01:34 AM   #155
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I wish to hell they would do The Sinister Six for a future Spider-Man movie. They can't do the Avengers so Sony could do a villain superteam with Spidey's rogue gallery. Problem is, that would probably tax their budget too damn much.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 02:00 AM   #156
stj
Rear Admiral

I was informed that I wanted to see this in the theater.

The tendency to do things more than once was tiresome. Peter Parker must be a hero because of guilt over how he lost Uncle Ben and because he was responsible for Connors becoming the Lizard. Not twice as impressive, but half. Unmasking for Jack, the Lizard and Stacy. Not three times as impressive, one third. His parents are killed by Connors and Osborn. If that many people disliked them, maybe they weren't really very nice people? You ever think of that, huh?

The tendency to very briefly pause for Spidey to copy action panels from the comics was a not really helpful. As a comic book movie, you go in prepared to work very hard at willing suspension of disbelief. But a spider making the tennis shoes stick to a subway car ceiling was pretty rough. Having an endless supply of webbing in those dinky little writlets after an infodump clearly highlights the impossibility is even rougher. I suppose the director didn't understand the dialogue.

The laying of pipe to deliver the sequels was tiresome.

But most of all I think, the fact that Peter Parker is such a liar (and only really articulate when he lies) is a little bit unpleasant, something that you don't really want in a Spiderman flick.

The score was excellent. Horner is widely despised for some reason, but his score really sold the cranes sequence, which for me engaged enough emotion to turn the movie, despite its problems, into a win. The setup was clumsy as hell and the whole thing was corny as hell. Still worked for me.
Old July 8 2012, 02:14 AM   #157
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I voted Good but my real grade is: B-

Discounting any type of anal review about how close it is to the comics, 616 or Ultimate, this film has structural and pacing issues that make it less than desirable. Things happen in the film just to move the story along. It does not feel like sequences move in a fluid manner from one to the other.

For all the issues I had going in from the trailers the idea of doing the origin again was one of them. While I have some issues with that sequence(a bunch of spiders dumping on him) the opening origin hour mid way through Act II is the tightest part of the movie imo. I highly, highly, highly take fault that one of the greatest catch phrases in comicdom is omitted: WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. I'm actually fine with tweaking just how Ben gets killed cause it's his death via Peter's inaction that is important. Not if it's a home invasion or car burglary etc.
I also take issue with the prolonged vengeance hunt by Peter to find the burglar with the star tattoo. It seems that is also going to carry over throughout the trilogy.
I say that both Flash Thompsons get an A for being quality douche bags though.

The lack of Curt Connors family in the movie is a sad omission. Connors having the family is what largely separates him from being just another scientist gone gonzo. The fact that that was the interpretation they went with is just more proof they should've stayed in the Raimi-verse. At least that cliche was already established and begrudgingly accepted.

Keeping in mind when you watch a film of certain types you have to suspend some logic. However, certain things still have to make sense. Like I get peoples issue with Black Widow and her 9mm as a point. Likewise, in this film there is no way, none at all, that a high school intern(police chiefs daughter or not) has access to lab equipment not only after hours BUT has codes to various equipment. If she did they would be tied to time access.
Really Gwen being the first girlfriend squeeze is the only thing they got exactly right where the Raimi film didn't. The only thing. I also take issue with the rush to reveal who he was. He really hadn't even established that himself yet frankly. That reveal could've waited but they felt the need to include Gwen in the action montage at the end for the formula. A better result would've been to have Peter creating a cure out of Connors sewer lab.

Peter's webbing. So is it Oscorp micro filament or did you make it? We see him opening and experimenting with cases he ordered AND he tells the car thief "it's something I created", so which is it? If a bunch of Oscorp, commercially available micro filament is out there it doesn't take the dark knight to figure out where large quantities are going that don't match a user profile for the stuff. Also, why aren't the cops using this as well? Screw tasers.

The all to convenient "NY loves you Spider-man" moment. Yes the foreman is the one who's son was saved by Spider-man but nothing is done for a rally cry moment "Spider-man needs our help guys, let's make sure he gets it. Line those cranes up for him". A weak attempt to recreate the ferry scene from the Raimi film.

The fight at the high school served what end? At one point did Connors go vendetta crazy? If Parker were at school using the Chem lab to whip up an antidote then fine but going after him at that point, in that location made no sense to a character who had been shown to be still in his right mind. Which gets us to the sudden lame mustache twirling excuse to turn all of NY into Lizard town. It's like a Avi Arad saw that in mag and just insisted that element had to be in the film. There are just massive missteps in logic on Connors part for why he's suddenly doing things. Hell, as the Lizard he was trying to stop Osborne's stooge from doing random tests at the VA for crying out loud. Then 45 minutes later he suddenly wants to turn NYC into one big Lizard Lounge? WTF??

Dennis Leary stole every scene he was in during the film. Him dying is a true comic element and I hated seeing him go so soon. The one "hurry up lets create Team Spidey" moment was the reveal Peter=Spidey...and oh, by the way if you don't let me go Gwen may die routine. Of course it also sets up the promise he wants Peter to take about distancing himself from Gwen. However we all know where that's going.

Was I the only one who felt like after Gwen visited Peter on the porch after her fathers funeral that the film just couldn't find a way to end? I felt like it was trying to end 2-3 times in the lat 5-7 minutes.
Also, was anyone besides me NOT teased by the prison visitation scene mid-credits?

The Raimi origin film is just head and shoulders above this one as a complete film.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 02:27 AM   #158
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Saw it again tonight with a buddy, on second viewing I think the movie held up and I think I liked it better. It's still certainly filled with flaws and plot holes (I'm still not sure what The Lizard's ultimate goal is and where it even comes from) but the chemistry and charisma of Garfield and Stone is way better here than between McGuire and Dunst.

Buddy and I got to talking on the way home from the show and wondered if the second movie in this series might not grow a good, solid, pair of balls and kill of Stacy and introduce MJ in a manner similar to the comics.

If they did that it'd certainly be bold and pretty damn hardcore.
Old July 8 2012, 02:28 AM   #159
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 02:28 AM   #160
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Mooch wrote: View Post
I liked it quite a bit better than any of the previous Spider-Mans, mainly because I like the cast better, and the director and the composer. Script wise it's mostly a wash.

I would be interested in seeing a longer cut should one become available in the future.
Longer cut???

Seriously - I really enjoyed the film. My girlfriend, on the other hand, didn't care for it for many points that I firmly agree with. We both thought it was pointless to retell Spider-Man's origin. It almost felt like the creators wanted Spider-Man back in high school, because that is where they concentrated so much of the story on. Except they cast actors who are clearly too old to be in high school...

Either way, I enjoyed the cast much more than the Raimi versions. I have never been impressed with Toby Mcquire, and the less said about Kirsten Dunst the better.

I do enjoy that they went for a grittier take on Spider-Man in that they made it quite clear that he can be hurt. Even with super powers, he was never meant to be bullet proof. However, even with their nod to realism, the movie is clearly set in a comic book universe where people can be thrown against walls without suffering broken bones or concussions.

I may have missed something, but the movie seemed to gloss over how he got his powers. Sure, there was a spider bite, but what was different about that particular spider? All we were shown was Peter walking into a room full of spiders in a lab we know is working on cross species genetics. Were the spiders specifically genetically engineered to give super powers???

While it would be a very cool twist that reveal that Spider-Man was deliberately created, that was never made clear in this film. Possible sequel fodder?

A slight spoilery comment about the end - at one point Spider-Man nearly falls of the edge of a building after his web sligers are destroyed and has to be saved. I turned to my girlfriend and said "good thing Spider-Man can stick to walls. Whoops! I guess he can't now".
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 02:29 AM   #161
Warped9
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Discounting any type of anal review about how close it is to the comics, 616 or Ultimate, this film has structural and pacing issues that make it less than desirable. Things happen in the film just to move the story along. It does not feel like sequences move in a fluid manner from one to the other.

For all the issues I had going in from the trailers the idea of doing the origin again was one of them. While I have some issues with that sequence(a bunch of spiders dumping on him) the opening origin hour mid way through Act II is the tightest part of the movie imo. I highly, highly, highly take fault that one of the greatest catch phrases in comicdom is omitted: WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. I'm actually fine with tweaking just how Ben gets killed cause it's his death via Peter's inaction that is important. Not if it's a home invasion or car burglary etc.
I also take issue with the prolonged vengeance hunt by Peter to find the burglar with the star tattoo. It seems that is also going to carry over throughout the trilogy.
I say that both Flash Thompsons get an A for being quality douche bags though.

The lack of Curt Connors family in the movie is a sad omission. Connors having the family is what largely separates him from being just another scientist gone gonzo. The fact that that was the interpretation they went with is just more proof they should've stayed in the Raimi-verse. At least that cliche was already established and begrudgingly accepted.

Keeping in mind when you watch a film of certain types you have to suspend some logic. However, certain things still have to make sense. Like I get peoples issue with Black Widow and her 9mm as a point. Likewise, in this film there is no way, none at all, that a high school intern(police chiefs daughter or not) has access to lab equipment not only after hours BUT has codes to various equipment. If she did they would be tied to time access.
Really Gwen being the first girlfriend squeeze is the only thing they got exactly right where the Raimi film didn't. The only thing. I also take issue with the rush to reveal who he was. He really hadn't even established that himself yet frankly. That reveal could've waited but they felt the need to include Gwen in the action montage at the end for the formula. A better result would've been to have Peter creating a cure out of Connors sewer lab.

Peter's webbing. So is it Oscorp micro filament or did you make it? We see him opening and experimenting with cases he ordered AND he tells the car thief "it's something I created", so which is it? If a bunch of Oscorp, commercially available micro filament is out there it doesn't take the dark knight to figure out where large quantities are going that don't match a user profile for the stuff. Also, why aren't the cops using this as well? Screw tasers.

The all to convenient "NY loves you Spider-man" moment. Yes the foreman is the one who's son was saved by Spider-man but nothing is done for a rally cry moment "Spider-man needs our help guys, let's make sure he gets it. Line those cranes up for him". A weak attempt to recreate the ferry scene from the Raimi film.

The fight at the high school served what end? At one point did Connors go vendetta crazy? If Parker were at school using the Chem lab to whip up an antidote then fine but going after him at that point, in that location made no sense to a character who had been shown to be still in his right mind. Which gets us to the sudden lame mustache twirling excuse to turn all of NY into Lizard town. It's like a Avi Arad saw that in mag and just insisted that element had to be in the film. There are just massive missteps in logic on Connors part for why he's suddenly doing things. Hell, as the Lizard he was trying to stop Osborne's stooge from doing random tests at the VA for crying out loud. Then 45 minutes later he suddenly wants to turn NYC into one big Lizard Lounge? WTF??

Dennis Leary stole every scene he was in during the film. Him dying is a true comic element and I hated seeing him go so soon. The one "hurry up lets create Team Spidey" moment was the reveal Peter=Spidey...and oh, by the way if you don't let me go Gwen may die routine. Of course it also sets up the promise he wants Peter to take about distancing himself from Gwen. However we all know where that's going.

Was I the only one who felt like after Gwen visited Peter on the porch after her fathers funeral that the film just couldn't find a way to end? I felt like it was trying to end 2-3 times in the lat 5-7 minutes.
Also, was anyone besides me NOT teased by the prison visitation scene mid-credits?

The Raimi origin film is just head and shoulders above this one as a complete film.
Agreed.

I will say one thing for this film: at times it gave me a touch of vertigo. The final fight on top of Oscorp Tower made me feel like Peter Jackson's take on Kong's last stand on the Empire State Building.
Old July 8 2012, 02:39 AM   #162
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

I also take issue with the rush to reveal who he was. He really hadn't even established that himself yet frankly.
Yeah. I thought him basically telling Gwen who he is for no real reason was silly. They also omitted any mention of where the name Spider-Man came from. The first scene it is mentioned is when he reveals to Gwen that he's the vigilante, and she just blurts out "you're Spider-Man?" Ummm...
Peter's webbing. So is it Oscorp micro filament or did you make it?
Oscorp made the filament, he made the web slingers. I viewed it as a compromise between showing Peter to be an intelligent person while avoiding the unbelievably of him inventing the webbing all on his own.
The fight at the high school served what end? At one point did Connors go vendetta crazy?
He wasn't exactly thinking rationally at that point.

Hell, as the Lizard he was trying to stop Osborne's stooge from doing random tests at the VA for crying out loud. Then 45 minutes later he suddenly wants to turn NYC into one big Lizard Lounge? WTF??
I got the impression he was going after the guy as revenge for forcing him into testing the serum on himself. It may have started with him wanting to stop the tests at the VA, but that clearly wasn't his motivation once he turned into a dinosaur.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 02:48 AM   #163
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The movie certainly could have used some tighter editing and maybe even a couple watch-through to ensure all of the details are closed up. What DID happen to Dr. Connor's boss? We never see him again after the bridge scene!

Why was Capt. Stacy so gung-ho over getting Spider-Man? There was just a large attack on a major NYC bridge, you have hundreds of witnesses talking about a large lizard-creature and then a bunch of people telling the story of S-M saving the boy in the car but even after all of that Spider-Man is Public Enemy #1?!

They know Lizard is attacking the city and releasing the toxin and Stacy's concern is all on Spider-Man?! The hell?!

And all Spider-Man is "guilty of" at this point are "random acts of kindness" in stopping muggers and car thieves with no mention of a private person being injured. Stacy tries to explain this by saying that Spider-Man had disturbed a long-running operation to stop a car-thieving ring. But if Joe Public had stopped that car thief would he be considered Public Enemy #1 for stopping a crime that happened to be linked to a larger operation?

A lot in this movie was odd or forced. I enjoyed it but only because the cast really made it look but the story is messy. And the hokey scene with the crane-operators was just... ugh.

Suddenly Spider-Man can make a straight-swing to the building, he web-shoots his wound and then after that it's all pretty much okay. It never bothers him again. I also think it would have been nice to get a good "establishing shot" of Peter doing the "devil horns" sign to activate the web shooters. You can see him doing it in a couple shots but it's never really shown good and clear.

And I couldn't watch his first encounter with the street muggers without thinking "Peter Parkour."
Old July 8 2012, 02:48 AM   #164
Warped9
Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
Hell, as the Lizard he was trying to stop Osborne's stooge from doing random tests at the VA for crying out loud. Then 45 minutes later he suddenly wants to turn NYC into one big Lizard Lounge? WTF??
I got the impression he was going after the guy as revenge for forcing him into testing the serum on himself. It may have started with him wanting to stop the tests at the VA, but that clearly wasn't his motivation once he turned into a dinosaur.
Yeah, and what happened to this guy? We never see him again.
Old July 8 2012, 02:53 AM   #165
Warped9
Admiral

Films I enjoyed this year a lot more than this new Spidey.

John Carter
Men In Black 3
The Avengers
Prometheus