Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Prometheus - Poll
A + 16 6.90%
A 27 11.64%
A - 32 13.79%
B + 43 18.53%
B 33 14.22%
B - 21 9.05%
C + 19 8.19%
C 8 3.45%
C - 15 6.47%
D 12 5.17%
F 6 2.59%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 7 2012, 06:49 PM   #856
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

If this is to be the first of a possible trilogy, the only thing I'd worry about is Ridley Scott. Sorry to be ageist, but he's 74 now. Isn't he doing Blade Runner 2 next, or at some point at least. Thus I can't see Prometheus 2 coming out till 2016 or so. And then to do a possible third one as well.
Ha I'm not saying he's gonna drop dead at any minute, but I would just hope they got completed is all
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 08:24 PM   #857
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If only he would drop dead before he ruins Blade Runner.
Old July 7 2012, 08:30 PM   #858
Warped9
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Thats really uncalled for.
Old July 7 2012, 08:31 PM   #859
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Trust me, if there was a number I could call, I'd already be on it.
Old July 7 2012, 09:08 PM   #860
Warped9
Admiral

To dislike someone's work is one thing. To actually wish for their death is disgusting.
Old July 7 2012, 09:16 PM   #861
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
To dislike someone's work is one thing. To actually wish for their death is disgusting.
Yeah. Very much agreed. Don't like the work? Don't see the movie. It really isn't hard.
Old July 7 2012, 11:15 PM   #862
Nightowl1701
Captain

Yeah, come on Set. Ridley may have lost a step over the years, but George Lucas he is not. And after K.W. Jeter's ridiculous three book "sequels" (excuse me - ), I can't see Ridley doing any worse. Certainly not enough to ruin the first film.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 12:25 AM   #863
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Old July 8 2012, 01:49 AM   #864
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Yminale wrote: View Post
A couple more thoughts on on the WTF scientists.

First I reiterate that there is no proof that these so called scientist are real scientist. They still could be mercenaries/security and the Prometheus may have been secretly armed but only Weyland or David knew the full extant (they were able to hide a very old billionaire).
I'm not sure why you think that mercenaries who run like scared children at the sight of a 2,000 year old dead body, get lost while in possession of mapping robots and an active comlink, and play pull my finger with space cobras is somehow a significant improvement. You've just substituted two people who really suck at their jobs and behave irrationally with two more people who really suck at their jobs and behave irrationally, with the added suckiness of them now leaving the very people they were supposed to protect or observe if they were mercs.

Also, Prometheus had armed security personnel (mercenaries) who identified themselves as such and were going to accompany the scientists into the temple with guns until Drs. Shaw and Holloway gave the order not to. They were the guys who were shooting at zombie Fifield later on in the movie. So, why do Shaggy and Scooby need to be mercenaries too?

Second, these people may literally be the bottom of the barrel. Like today, maybe people in the future don't take the idea of Ancient Alien seriously. Even if you offered them a ton of money most competent scientists aren't going to risk their reputations.
The Blunder Twins (Millburn and Fifield) didn't know they were dealing with ancient astronauts until they had already arrived at LV-223. It played no part in their decision to go on the mission, and in Fifield's case, he explicitly said he was in it for the money.

I also would think that recruiting competent scientists for what is at this point a revolutionary space mission to another world -- even if you leave aside the whole alien aspect -- should be no trouble at all. Realistically, people would be jumping at the chance.

Third, there is mental diagnosis called Adjustment disorder which is basically the inability to deal with new circumstances. Most cases lead to a temporary depression but in a few extreme cases it can lead to psychosis. Plus who knows what hibernation does to the mind.
None of this makes sense when you have the CEO of the company who is a true believer along for the ride. You don't choose psychologically unstable incompetents for key positions on the extremely risky and groundbreaking mission you are also going on. They tend to hire experienced personnel and then rigorously test for these kinds of psychological problems with endless simulation, medical testing, and psych profiles. Can people slip through the cracks? Sure, but that's extremely rare.

As far as the hibernation goes, that's a possibility, but it just seems like you keep grasping at straws to try and explain what were really just terribly written characters.

Even with my disappointment with Prometheus and Scott's rather lackluster films of the past several years, I'm still looking forward to seeing what he plans to do with the new Blade Runner movie (although I won't get my hopes up so much like I did this time). I know some people feel that disappointing sequels/prequels/remakes take away from the source material, but that stuff doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the originals. I still love the Star Wars OT (pre-alteration versions) just as much as I did before the Prequels came along. And for all its many faults, I do appreciate the amount of new material and discussion Prometheus has infused the Alien universe with. I've done more reading and theorizing on the Alien franchise since Prometheus came out than I've done in twenty years.

Last edited by The Festivus Awakens; July 8 2012 at 02:04 AM.
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 08:41 AM   #865
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

...Scott's rather lackluster films of the past several years...
Body of Lies and American Gangster were pretty good, IMO. I even liked A Good Year. That movie had some undeniable charm. And Russel Crowe was pretty damn awesome in all three of these. Robin Hood was crap, though.
Old July 8 2012, 12:58 PM   #866
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
...Scott's rather lackluster films of the past several years...
Body of Lies and American Gangster were pretty good, IMO. I even liked A Good Year. That movie had some undeniable charm. And Russel Crowe was pretty damn awesome in all three of these. Robin Hood was crap, though.
Let's just face it, the stupid script is not Ridley's fault.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 01:04 PM   #867
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But not recognizing that script for a piece of shit that it was most certainly is his fault.
Old July 8 2012, 01:07 PM   #868
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
But not recognizing that script for a piece of shit that it was most certainly is his fault.
The question is whether he had any choice or not.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 01:15 PM   #869
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

The question is whether he had any choice or not.
This is Ridley fucking Scott were talking about.
Old July 8 2012, 01:17 PM   #870
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Because of his clout Scott largely had final approval on what went on screen (plus control of the editing) and was involved in the initial script with Spaihts and the rewrite process along with Lindelof. He writes extremely detailed storyboards with elaborate drawings of what he wants to see onscreen and dialogue and plot ideas which were incorporated into the script. He was the one who came up with the whole Space Jesus idea and some of the other mythology. He was as much responsible for the script as they were, since this was his baby; his pet project. To absolve him of responsibility for the poor quality of the characters and plot and dump it entirely in Lindelof's lap is inaccurate and unfair. He knew what was happening as he filmed it, and if there was a problem in his eyes he could have ordered a change to the script.