Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 6 2012, 01:15 AM   #91
Gul Bones
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Does anyone else dislike Keiko O'brien?

I think as well, if you asked most guys the type of woman they would hope to avoid getting pregnant or getting married to it would be Keiko. She has far more unlikable attributes than likable ones. It seems Miles is on constant damage limitation mode with her trying to avoid upsetting her.

I almost get the feeling he was intimidated by her and it was pretty clear who wore the trousers in their relationship. Not to be blunt but by most people's standards Keiko would be classed as a b****.
Gul Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 02:59 AM   #92
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Agreed. While the episode where she helped save his and Julian's life was a great moment for her--sadly, it was the exception, not the rule.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 03:00 AM   #93
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

FWIW, I was mostly referring to the recent batch of posters who seemed to have little to do besides smile and nod and say, "Yeah, Keiko's a total b@tch!"

Anyway it strikes me as totally realistic that she could have agreed to the move to DS9 because, even despite whatever reports she received regarding the condition of the station, she either wasn't as prepared as she thought she'd be or over time it wore her down more than she expected. At least she had the sense to get off the station when things got too hard for her, rather than sticking around and making things even worse.

In any case, from a writing standpoint it wouldn't make much sense for us to see her in episodes where everything between her and Miles was perfect all the time, just as on forums people are less prone to start threads when everything's going well than they are when there are things that they take issue with.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 03:37 AM   #94
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^And yet, the writers showed Kira and Odo, or Sisko and Kassidy, or Worf and Jadzia--wherin things were , for the most part, perfectly fine. No problem there....
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Old July 6 2012, 01:04 PM   #95
TrixieVanSickle
Ensign

Even when things weren't fine between the other couples, the men never had to walk on eggshells and be afraid to say "boo" to their spouses. Look at Worf and Jadzia. They had major issues throughout their relationship, but Jadzia never became a haughty bitch because of it.

I think Keiko and Miles would have been a perfect couple to show what divorce is like in the 24th Century. Seriously. Not all marriages work out and having them divorce would have been a great subplot for DS9.

http://trixievansickle.blogspot.com/
TrixieVanSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 03:50 PM   #96
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I seem to remember Jadzia becoming a "haughty bitch" in "You are Cordially Invited"...at least until Sisko took her down a few pegs.
Old July 6 2012, 04:10 PM   #97
R. Star
Rear Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
I seem to remember Jadzia becoming a "haughty bitch" in "You are Cordially Invited"...at least until Sisko took her down a few pegs.
Bridezilla or just another example of inconsistency for her? :P
Old July 6 2012, 06:27 PM   #98
Gul Bones
Lieutenant Junior Grade

R. Star wrote: View Post
Bridezilla or just another example of inconsistency for her? :P
Jadzia had her moments, Keiko seemed to have a moment... well every moment. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit but that's what it felt like apart from one or two nice moments.

Moment.
Gul Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:32 PM   #99
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Miles liked being treated like that, that's why when she left the Station, they had to up the number of "Torture O'Brien" episodes, so he didn't miss her much

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:49 PM   #100
DonIago
Rear Admiral

It may be the case to some degree that that was the type of relationship Miles wanted. Not just what we saw, but what we presumably didn't see.

Lord knows I've seen people I know in relationships and thought more than once, "Why are you doing that to yourself?" while they seem perfectly content.
Old July 6 2012, 07:15 PM   #101
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Precisely. Sisko gave her some tough love--and that made her back down.

Such never happened with Keiko--at least, not that I recall.
--David Mamet
Old July 6 2012, 07:23 PM   #102
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Precisely. Sisko gave her some tough love--and that made her back down.

Such never happened with Keiko--at least, not that I recall.
I dunno, it's hard to say. Keiko certainly complained a LOT, but despite all the complaining she did usually seem to go along with what O'brien wanted.
Old July 7 2012, 01:34 PM   #103
TrixieVanSickle
Ensign

Every woman has her moments when planning a wedding. And Jadzia's behavior during the wedding planning was really a symptom of her being a joined species. She was still thinking like Curzon when it came to Klingons and was used being treated with the respect that Curzon had earned. She wasn't used to being treated like her honor was unproven, which is why she had so much trouble with Sirella. Sirella didn't know or care about Curzon's history, only Jadzia's so that was a bit of a swerve. Plus she was marrying an alien.

Keiko didn't have the excuse of being a joined species with 7 lifetimes of memories. Nor was she marrying an alien, leading to culture clashes. She was a human married to a human. And she was a haughty bitch.

http://trixievansickle.blogspot.com/
TrixieVanSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 02:24 PM   #104
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

TrixieVanSickle wrote: View Post
Nor was she marrying an alien, leading to culture clashes. She was a human married to a human.
Japanese married to Irish. Their breakfast showed that there was enough material for culture clashes.
Old July 7 2012, 03:46 PM   #105
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

Asian chicks, man. Don't even get me started.