Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 7 2012, 07:05 AM   #31
Australis
Writer

Re: Farscape... I am liking this series...

Mmmm, I watched the first series or two, but it failed to gel with me. I may have to try again.

The thing about Farscape is, the like of us get it, because we're into SF. But the people who originally made it (Channel Nine in Australia) wanted a big mainstream success, because Nine is always, always chasing the big bucks, and this show was so far out there the audience soon fell away. If it had been closer to a ST type show, it may have been on longer.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 03:48 PM   #32
Forbin
Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
Mmmm, I watched the first series or two, but it failed to gel with me. I may have to try again.

The thing about Farscape is, the like of us get it, because we're into SF. But the people who originally made it (Channel Nine in Australia) wanted a big mainstream success, because Nine is always, always chasing the big bucks, and this show was so far out there the audience soon fell away. If it had been closer to a ST type show, it may have been on longer.
Ah, but then it wouldn't have been special.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 03:55 PM   #33
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

l've never seen it, but l blind-bought the first season on blu-ray a while back. l'm hoping its gonna be good, but from what l hear it has a lot of Muppet action. Hmmm...
Old July 7 2012, 05:04 PM   #34
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

For some reason it didn't gel with me until the late first season. Give it time.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 05:04 PM   #35
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Sysyphyx wrote: View Post
l've never seen it, but l blind-bought the first season on blu-ray a while back. l'm hoping its gonna be good, but from what l hear it has a lot of Muppet action. Hmmm...

It does not have Muppet action. It has action by animatronic characters that were created and designed by the Jim Henson Muppet Company. That's a very different thing.

And if you give it even a little bit of a chance, you will see that those animatronic characters are better performed and more interesting than half the flesh-and-blood characters on some other shows I could name. In fact, by at least the end of the first season and probably a lot sooner, you won't even notice they are animatronic characters anymore.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 05:09 PM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

4 years is a fairly decent run, shame TPTB decided to cancel the fifth season after they said they were going to do one. We eventually got Peackeeper Wars to round out the story.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 05:20 PM   #37
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post

It does not have Muppet action. It has action by animatronic characters that were created and designed by the Jim Henson Muppet Company. That's a very different thing.

And if you give it even a little bit of a chance, you will see that those animatronic characters are better performed and more interesting than half the flesh-and-blood characters on some other shows I could name. In fact, by at least the end of the first season and probably a lot sooner, you won't even notice they are animatronic characters anymore.

Sweet. l didn't mean to seem so disconcerted about the "muppet action". l'm actually a big fan of animatronics and old-school effects, and would prefer these over any sort of CGI type assiness. Gonna have to check this out soon.
Old July 7 2012, 05:20 PM   #38
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Yes you quickly overlook the puppet aspect and come to admire the characters for being far more visually interesting and multi-faceted than soooo many bumpy-headed aliens. The show also has more female characters than most of its contemporaries so it scores points there too. They also throw quite a few curveballs at you throughout the shows run too.

My main criticism is the amount of unnecessary shouting Ben Browder does. If I was Dargo I'd have shot him during season one.

They have a fairly decent cast but maybe a few more recurring characters would have given them some more cannon-fodder like in NuBSG.

Overall though it was a hugely enjoyable ride.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 06:58 PM   #39
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's funny how often the animatronic puppets get brought up with Farscape and yet people give a pass to all the half-assed unconvincing CG out there.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 10:59 PM   #40
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

I'd heard the story was channel 9 heard "puppets" and thought they were getting a kids show.

And when show aired they just didn't know what to do with it.

But probably hte biggest travesty was the cuts the bastards made to show in a G rated time slot which were pretty brutal.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 04:51 AM   #41
JD
Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post

Sweet. l didn't mean to seem so disconcerted about the "muppet action". l'm actually a big fan of animatronics and old-school effects, and would prefer these over any sort of CGI type assiness. Gonna have to check this out soon.
The two animatronic main characters, Rygel and Pilot, are IMO two of the show's best characters.
Old July 8 2012, 10:59 AM   #42
Australis
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post

Ah, but then it wouldn't have been special.
That is very true, I concur. I just don't know if it will linger like TOS, if you see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I do recognise a good show, even if I think it's not for me, and that's why I will persevere with it. Right now, I'm catching up on another neglected show, Fringe. Maybe after that.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 09:21 PM   #43
Joerib
Lieutenant

The Peacekeeper wars should be viewed after season 4 am I correct???
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 09:32 PM   #44
Skywalker
Admiral

Correct.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 10:12 PM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yes, but you need to wait two years after viewing Season 4 before you are allowed to watch The Peacekeeper Wars. It's only fair.