Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 5 2012, 09:19 PM   #4621
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Good DC is actually going after the Indie talent instead of just looking for former Marvel writers on Harras's rolodex.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 09:35 PM   #4622
Derishton
Vice Admiral

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/07...dark-and-swamp

New annuals announced. The mysterious person who's after Batgirl looks like a Talon, and looks female. My guess is we're about to see a new origin for Cassandra Cain.
Old July 5 2012, 10:16 PM   #4623
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
Well, I was clamboring for more from Sholly Fisch, so it looks like Action Comics Annual #1 is it. As I've said, based on his back-ups, I'd love to see him get more work. I'm also excited about the Swamp Thing annual.

I finally made it to my local comic shop for the first time in three weeks. So far, I've read Batwoman (which was good enough to move it off the "probably going to drop" list to the "I'll give it a few more issues" list), Animal Man (solid, as usual), and Aquaman (which I'm still enjoying immensely).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 01:26 AM   #4624
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I think "Dial H" is really starting to pick-up though I'm still not a strong fan of the art inside the book.

"Action" was also good this week though I wasn't a big fan of the second story in it. (Some lame one-shot thing about a guy claiming to sell "official" Superman shirts.)

"Earth 2" I'm digging and may now say is one of my official pulls. Though I'm curious about the backstory in it, which I assume is in #1 or will be in #0 later this year. I thought it was a mundane world without superheroes yet but it more seems to be one where all of the "big" superheroes like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman existed but are now gone?
Old July 6 2012, 01:38 AM   #4625
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman died stopping an invasion from Apocalips, the insinuate explosion also sent super girl and (batmans' biological daughter) Robin over tot he regular new Earth and they assumed the identies Huntress and powergirl whose adventures are being catalogued in Worlds Finest.

Maybe it was a special or did you miss issue one?

Or did this happen in Worlds Finest?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 01:55 AM   #4626
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman died stopping an invasion from Apocalips, the insinuate explosion also sent super girl and (batmans' biological daughter) Robin over tot he regular new Earth and they assumed the identies Huntress and powergirl whose adventures are being catalogued in Worlds Finest.

Maybe it was a special or did you miss issue one?

Or did this happen in Worlds Finest?
Don't have issue #1 of "Earth 2", I picked up issue #2 last month because of the gay Green Lantern and wanted to see how they went with it (and I like how it works and ties into GL's "emotional drive" in this version of the character.) My LCS didn't have the second printing of #1 this past Wednesday so I'll pick it up later.
Old July 6 2012, 01:59 AM   #4627
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
seems to be one where all of the "big" superheroes like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman existed but are now gone?
This is what it looks like so far. They were the "first wave" of heroes and now we're seeing the second. When he did "Starman", Robinson would flesh out Opal City, and various characters through occasional stories called "Times Past". These stories could take place a few years, decades or century ago and really brought the world of Jack Knight to life.

I'm hoping he'll do something along the lines of this with Earth-2. Keep it to a minimum so that it never gets old tho.

I enjoyed the new issue Earth-2, although I think Alan's new costume needs something to break up all that green.
It's interesting that he's basically taking the place of

Old July 6 2012, 02:01 AM   #4628
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'm assuming at some point some new version of Superman, WW and Batman will come into play.
Old July 6 2012, 02:09 AM   #4629
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I doubt it.

The JSA has mostly been without participation from the big three over the last few decades.

Unless they come back from Apocalips for the 50th issue, this is about the new generation of heroes scrambling to defend the earth in a power vacuum who ironically are usually seen as the previous generation.

**Chuckle**

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; July 6 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 02:37 AM   #4630
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Earth 2 #1 crosses over with World's Finest #1. If you can get a hold of that, you'll get a glimpse into what happened.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 04:43 PM   #4631
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

While I am enjoying the intro of E2's "big guns" I am more curious about who the other JSA characters will be presented. E2's version of Terry Sloan was very intriguing so I wonder what might be in store for folks like Ted Knight, Charles McNider and Rex Tyler.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 05:06 PM   #4632
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Hawkgirl mentioned Fate, so i'm curious as to how the new version of Fate will play out.
Old July 6 2012, 05:08 PM   #4633
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Fate? Looking forward to that.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 05:58 PM   #4634
C_Miller
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I doubt it.

The JSA has mostly been without participation from the big three over the last few decades.

Unless they come back from Apocalips for the 50th issue, this is about the new generation of heroes scrambling to defend the earth in a power vacuum who ironically are usually seen as the previous generation.

**Chuckle**
Yeah. I'm in agreement. I really can't see Robinson bringing in the Trinity in any real capacity. He's also said in interviews that DC is trying to keep cross-Earth identities low. The Flash and Green Lantern are about it.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:56 PM   #4635
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I think Earth 2 is my favorite series so far. Even though I'm a big fan of the original JSA, I really like that these versions are a fresh take and things are DIFFERENT.

I imagine it feels like being in the 1950s and getting brand new takes on the Golden Age characters.

I'm sure there was some pre-internet fan boy raging. "Green Lantern is NOT some cop from outer space. SELLOUTS!"