New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Raise the Dawn.
Outstanding 82 70.69%
Above Average 25 21.55%
Average 3 2.59%
Below Average 3 2.59%
Poor 3 2.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 5 2012, 09:03 PM   #211
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Re: TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
The current Weyoun, Weyoun 9, was previously seen in Rising Son, Olympus Descending, and Warpath. It was only the Alpha Quadrant cloning facility that was destroyed; there were presumably copies of Weyoun's genetic/personality template back home in Dominion space.
I'm assuming Weyoun 9 wouldn't have the memories of the Alpha Quad Weyoun then. So the Weyoun in the tv series was saddened because his unique experiences would die with him.
Old July 5 2012, 09:43 PM   #212
JWolf
Commodore

I just bought my ePub eBook copy and I'm looking forward to it being my next read.
Old July 5 2012, 11:12 PM   #213
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Weyoun knew who Jake was in Rising Son, so the memories of the previous Weyoun(s) must have be recovered somehow.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 02:02 AM   #214
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

I've finally written my review for Raise the Dawn. Wow, what a ride! So much greatness in this book. I love that DS9 is relevant again!
Old July 6 2012, 09:07 AM   #215
Relayer1
Commodore

After much messing around and a couple of complaints and a (not) canceled order, Amazon UK emailed me to say it would be sent on 24th August, followed by another email saying it would be sent yesterday, I am pleased to report that the last communication was correct - it's just arrived !

Off to read now...
Old July 6 2012, 03:09 PM   #216
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

DS9forever wrote: View Post
Weyoun knew who Jake was in Rising Son, so the memories of the previous Weyoun(s) must have be recovered somehow.
Knowing who Jake was is different than remembering Jake so this doesn't mean they recovered his memories.

I just remembered, the female Founder was also saddened at the loss of Weyoun. It seems to me she wouldn't have if she knew there were more of him back home.
Old July 6 2012, 03:15 PM   #217
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I just rememebered that DRG III's trilogy never mentioned Sisko's baseball. I was hoping it would be mentioned if it was with him on the Robinson or at home with his daughter.
Old July 6 2012, 10:31 PM   #218
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

I loved raise the dawn. I see it as duality of both an ending and a new beginning for DS9. Star Trek is more about the characters for me than about the ships or stations, so I wouldn't be too excited to read future DS9 novels with the old station, but a new crew. I am much happier looking forward to future books with our favorite characters from the series with the new station.

I look forward to finding out what happens to Kira. I know we haven't seen the last of her.

It will be interesting to see if the wormhole returns. I bet it does.

People have mentioned returning Odo via slipstream. Just how fast is slipstream? How long would it take?

Will Sisko and Picard have a storyline together where they get to know one another and Sisko stops thinking of Picard as Locutis? Maybe there has been in a book I have not read...

Will Sisko leave Starfleet, of bring his family on board Robinson?

That's what makes this such a good book. It sets the stage for exciting new adventures and leaves you asking questions. I look forward to continuing this storyline.
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 10:41 PM   #219
Mage
Commodore

DS9forever wrote: View Post
When Sisko encounters the Weyoun for the first time in season 4 (I believe that was Weyoun4 btw), it was a GQ original Weyoun, he mentioned to Sisko that they had extensive files on him. That would suggest that he knew about Sisko's family as well.
Old July 6 2012, 11:46 PM   #220
Christopher
Writer

BrentMc wrote: View Post
People have mentioned returning Odo via slipstream. Just how fast is slipstream? How long would it take?
Depends on the portrayal. "Hope and Fear" put it at 20,000 light-years per month, but "Timeless" had Voyager cover 10,000 light-years in a couple of minutes. The VGR relaunch has assumed it's somewhere in between those, requiring maybe a couple of weeks to reach the nearest edge of the Delta Quadrant (about 30 kly away). In any case, it would take no more than a few months tops to reach the Dominion.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2012, 04:17 PM   #221
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I decided to go back to Olympus Descending to see if anything was mentioned about Weyoun; it mentions that Odo retrieved a device from Weyoun after his death in "What You Leave Behind", which contained his memories and knowledge.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 01:00 AM   #222
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

This was an incredible book. What can I say that wasn't already said? This book featured ots of great character moments and even more political intrigue, everything that I love about like most of George's books (Plagues of Night, Serpents Among the Ruins, Rough Beasts of Empire). The highlights of this book were Gell Kamemor's daring visit to Earth (I loved the honorable nature of Admiral Devik) and showdown with Nan Bacco, Kira's sacrifice (I'm certain we'll see her again), Sisko/Kasidy/Kira's co-vision (and gave us a truly satisfying conclusion to Sisko's arc), and finally seeing the end of Tomalak's and Sela's scheming.

One thing that caught my attention towards the end of the book and was surprised that it wasn't addressed was Odo's goal of informing the Federation about the Romulan's use of a phase cloak for the equipment theft. It's been stated several times in the last few Tython Pact books (particularly the George books) that the Romulan's are quietly using the phase cloak without the intention of letting anyone (including their Tyhon allies) knowing about it as a means of defense. Not only that, but it was one of the few policies that Gell Kamemor carried from Tal'aura's reign. With Odo's knowledge of its existence, I figure that this will create a new rift between Kamemor and Bacco and I was surprised it was brought up. I guess this a hanging thread that will be addressed in a future book?

Honestly I wish this book and Plagues of Night had been originally released as one large hardback but I know that wouldn't have been marketable and that I'm in the vast minority in loving to read large hardbacks. Hell, my next book is Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 which a pretty hefty book in itself.

As much as I love this book, one thing does bother me: the dishonest nature of the cover. Yes, we finally see the mostly built new Deep Space 9 at the every end of the book (and with an one year time jump!) but the wormhole is no longer operational. I really can't stand misleading covers like this and I thought it was something that wasn't done anymore. Not a big gripe but an annoyance nonetheless.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 01:40 AM   #223
shanejayell
Captain

There's no real indication that the Wormhole is gonna be gone for long, so I don't think the cover is lying, exactly....
Old July 8 2012, 01:58 AM   #224
Christopher
Writer

I think "lying" or "dishonest" is a needlessly strong term. Not all covers are meant to be literal representations of moments or events within the novel. Sometimes they're more symbolic, more an amalgam of elements. For instance, the cover to Only Superhuman, as seen in my current avatar, doesn't depict any scene that actually happens in the novel, but is more a synthesis of elements from the opening and climactic action sequences. Yet it very nicely captures the flavor and energy of the book and the personality of its heroine.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 10:11 AM   #225
Mage
Commodore

shanejayell wrote: View Post
There's no real indication that the Wormhole is gonna be gone for long, so I don't think the cover is lying, exactly....

The cover is already 'wrong' in that the station depicted is nothing like the station described at the end of the book. So I wouldn't put my faith about future storylines on just one cover.

I do, however, agree that the wormhole probably won't be gone forever. I can understand the how and the why behind for the Prophets. One of the first actions we see them undertake in the pilot, is closing the wormhole, because they felt the presence of this linear creatures was disturbing. After Benjamin pursuaded them, they allowed travel through the wormhole. But after what some rogue elements of the TP tried to do inside the wormhole, perhaps they felt they needed to reavaluate their views on traveling through the wormhole.

I know, I know, it's a very linear way of thinking, one that wouldn't necessarily work for the Prophets. But that's sort of what I feel happened.