Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 4 2012, 02:47 PM   #316
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Dream wrote: View Post
New Iron Man 3 concept art from comic con.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/312...7248097290.jpg
This is ahead of Comic Con which doesn't start till the 12th.

That image does, out of context, seem to be Extremis aka "nanotech armor stored in his blood/bones" which imo may be taking things a bit OTT.
Despite having just dealt with aliens I think the audience for this character appreciates the down to earth pseudo-reality about the armor, it's creation and application.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 03:16 PM   #317
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Seriously, if they go "armor stored in his bones", I'm out.
Good, because you're dragging the rest of us down.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 03:17 PM   #318
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

That image does, out of context, seem to be Extremis aka "nanotech armor stored in his blood/bones" which imo may be taking things a bit OTT.
Despite having just dealt with aliens I think the audience for this character appreciates the down to earth pseudo-reality about the armor, it's creation and application.
Hate to break it to you, luddite, but nanotech is real.

Old July 4 2012, 03:25 PM   #319
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Yeah, I know that and you know that but it's still a bit out there for Joe Public if they even know about it beyond sci-fi films. That's my point.
Old July 4 2012, 03:26 PM   #320
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post

Extremis!
Uhh, guys, I know what Extremis is. Extremis is a friend of mine. That's no Extremis.

Honestly, I don't get how this is evidence of Extremis.

Stark only stored the undersheath to the armor in his bones, not all of the armor. He can remote control the armor (which floats itself to him via it's own repulsors), but other than ehnanced/extra organs to ease the strain or operating the armor, there's nothing extraordinary about it.

Old July 4 2012, 03:27 PM   #321
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

^^^
Yeah, I know that and you know that but it's still a bit out there for Joe Public if they even know about it beyond sci-fi films. That's my point.
It's not like we have an entire film to explain it or anything.

Old July 4 2012, 07:32 PM   #322
captcalhoun
Admiral

it just looks like he's wearing one glove and one boot to me...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 07:38 PM   #323
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
it just looks like he's wearing one glove and one boot to me...
Exactly. The highres screencap we got of the set, with the various sets of armour looked like there were many parts of suits laying around being worked on, the concept art just looks like he slipped on some of them to test and was surprised by the guards.
Old July 4 2012, 09:44 PM   #324
Aldo
Admiral

I certainly did enjoy the realistic take on the character in the first two films. But like you said, aliens. There's no going back now, all bets are off.

With that said, I'm sure IM3 is going to play it a more realistically than Avengers did, I'm sure they'll save the "out there" stuff for the likes of "Thor" and the Avengers sequel.
Old July 4 2012, 09:53 PM   #325
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

^As was said, we have nanotech now. There is no reason to preclude aliens from calling next week. Really, no reason, could be next week, next millenium. Putting both premises together does not equal armour stored in bones.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 11:26 PM   #326
Dream
Admiral

Isn't Extremis considered one of the best storylines in the IM comics? I'm surprised they didn't go with that stroryline for IM2, which ended up just being an Avengers trailer.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 01:54 PM   #327
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Isn't Extremis considered one of the best storylines in the IM comics? I'm surprised they didn't go with that stroryline for IM2, which ended up just being an Avengers trailer.
This gets said far too often and now that I've rewatched IM2 a few times (just got the disk after Avengers) it really seems unjustified.

There is one short visit by Nick Fury mid-film where Tony says "Is this about the A..." and Fury cuts him off and brings it back to the main plot. There is the presence of Black Widow which had nothing to do with the Avengers movie except she was in it too; it's like saying Pepper being in the Avengers made it an Iron Man trailer. Then there was the credits scene. That's it. There was nothing past those few seconds with Fury where they didn't talk about the Avengers, that really tied it to the Avengers; it was all about Tony, his despondency about his failing health, his walls (armour) put up against the people around him who cared, his dealing with living in the shadow of his father, and realizing his dad really did think something of him which turned him around.

The plot was about Tony Stark, and the conflict with Whiplash/Dynamo was a thin layer on top of that. So if you go in thinking that Whiplash is the main story, yeah it seems thin, but if you see it as Tony's story, not Iron Man's, then the movie is actually about something. It really does take the character from one place to somewhere else, a place where he's ready to step up and be an adult, not a child. This has nothing to do with Avengers.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 03:39 PM   #328
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Well said. I've tried spelling it out like that as well, maybe this spelling lesson will sink-in better with more time passed. I was perhaps trying to ice skate uphill against that heavily held opinion in the months following it's initial theatrical release.
Old July 5 2012, 07:27 PM   #329
captcalhoun
Admiral

i never really got that it was 'an avengers trailer' either. maybe it did seem like it a bit since it had Widow AND War Machine in, but since WM didn't appear in Avengers, it's even less like one now.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:17 PM   #330
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
This gets said far too often and now that I've rewatched IM2 a few times (just got the disk after Avengers) it really seems unjustified.

There is one short visit by Nick Fury mid-film where Tony says "Is this about the A..." and Fury cuts him off and brings it back to the main plot. There is the presence of Black Widow which had nothing to do with the Avengers movie except she was in it too; it's like saying Pepper being in the Avengers made it an Iron Man trailer. Then there was the credits scene. That's it. There was nothing past those few seconds with Fury where they didn't talk about the Avengers, that really tied it to the Avengers; it was all about Tony, his despondency about his failing health, his walls (armour) put up against the people around him who cared, his dealing with living in the shadow of his father, and realizing his dad really did think something of him which turned him around.
You're forgetting the penultimate scene in which it's made to look like Fury doesn't want Tony for the Avengers ( even though we all knew how that would turn out ), showing Tony being handed explicit Avengers documentation, complete with a computer screen showing the locations corresponding to individual Avengers on a world map. ( In addition, when Coulson leaves for NM, we're meant to understand that's some kind of S.H.I.E.L.D. thing even before we see the scene after the credits. )