Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 3 2012, 01:29 PM   #91
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Re: Tom Paris - awesome or vastly underused?

Tom's developed from a ne'er-do-well vagabond to a responsible husband and father. Good on him, we should all be so lucky. I still reckon he's awesome. Yes some of the writing was bad and the development a little predictable but the same could be said of every other character as well. It's just a feature of star trek (Enterprise being the notable exception)
Old July 4 2012, 12:36 AM   #92
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
Tom's developed from a ne'er-do-well vagabond to a responsible husband and father. Good on him, we should all be so lucky. I still reckon he's awesome.
This is like how Collingwood Nick developed from a wannabe bad boy poster whose threads got closed into a responsible and amusing contributor to our little VOY community.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 01:50 AM   #93
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Aw, thanks teacake.

I can't deny my inner Voyager nerd any more
Old July 4 2012, 08:32 AM   #94
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

btw Nick JBHiFi is having a Buy 2 get the 3rd free deal on tv series and ALL of Trek is included. Not only that but they have all been reduced to between 20 and 24 dollars a season.

Too bad I own it all already and I tried not to cry at the sight of BSG reduced after forking out so much last month for it. Oh well, did buy some Stargate. I did buy quite a bit of VOY for presents however

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 02:54 PM   #95
Camren
Commodore

I thought it was ridiculous that he was practically a backup the Doctor. Who are they kidding? Tom Paris performing a life-saving operation, please. They should have replaced Kes with a advanced holographic nurse/medic, not dump Paris in sick bay because he had so little to do at the helm.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 03:55 PM   #96
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

they didn't need a nurse or Tom, they just had to make the Doctor telekenetic.

Thousands (millions?) of forcefield projector in the room picking shit up for him but only when it makes sense because the Hologram is attempting to pick something up?

The attempt to overhumanize his program restricted his abilities to commit medicine like a god.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 09:56 AM   #97
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Yeah, the writers kept confusing the projection with the computer generating it. One of the most eye rolling was the episode with the Cardassian doctor Mengele. The same computer is holding the data, running the programs, and generating the holograms. It boils down to the computer arguing with itself.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 12:54 PM   #98
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PopBoy

Okay, i liked Voyager and i think i woulda liked the idea of Tom Paris but i wasnt so fond of his acting. It seemed very trashy soap opera. For me, i felt some actors in the show were acting. You could almost taste the print of the script. Robert was one of them.
PopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 01:15 PM   #99
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Yeah, the writers kept confusing the projection with the computer generating it. One of the most eye rolling was the episode with the Cardassian doctor Mengele. The same computer is holding the data, running the programs, and generating the holograms. It boils down to the computer arguing with itself.
Nah. Don't confuse the hardware with the software. Two AI 'hologram programs' running on the same Pc can be made to argue.
Old July 5 2012, 01:36 PM   #100
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Nah. Don't confuse the hardware with the software. Two AI 'hologram programs' running on the same Pc can be made to argue.
True, but why should they? Why not just have the Doc program just access the relevant data? The argument seems ridiculous, apart from it serving the drama of the episode. And the computer software arguing with itself.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 01:44 PM   #101
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It happened.

The doctor extracted a Cardassian from his program so that he could argue with himself without seeming batshit.

It's just a question of why the Doctor must has asked for the Cardassian to be deleted from his database when the partition as created to actualize him as a distinct personality, in so that he could only work with his other face while inside an air of ignorance.

Old July 7 2012, 02:27 AM   #102
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Camren wrote: View Post
I thought it was ridiculous that he was practically a backup the Doctor. Who are they kidding? Tom Paris performing a life-saving operation, please. They should have replaced Kes with a advanced holographic nurse/medic, not dump Paris in sick bay because he had so little to do at the helm.
As I understood it, field medics are basically equal to an EMT.
I don't believe they're trained or skilled in surgery.
If Tom or Kes were skilled at surgery, then we never would of had the dilemma the EMH had in "Latent Image" due to there being only him with the knowledge and ability to perform surgery.
Old July 7 2012, 05:06 AM   #103
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A nurse today has more medical training/knowledge than a doctor in the 19th century.

A 24th century nurse would mostly likely have more medical training/knowledge than a doctor in the 20th century.

Old July 7 2012, 08:20 PM   #104
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
A nurse today has more medical training/knowledge than a doctor in the 19th century.

A 24th century nurse would mostly likely have more medical training/knowledge than a doctor in the 20th century.
But the fact still holds true that not all medical doctors are trained surgeons.
Even a comedy like SCRUBS made us aware there's a difference in skill between a medical doctor and a surgeon. Even in our time it depends on the doctor's area of study, if he's trained in surgery or not. Even if Tom and Kes had the knowledge of a 20th century medical doctor, they'd still be giving you a referral to a surgeon if you required it.

If Tom or Kes had the skill of surgeon the dilemma in "Latent Image" wouldn't have happened. There would have been 3 people on the ship capable of performing the operation. Instead Tom stood by helpless as he watched the EMH make his choice on who to save.
Old July 8 2012, 12:27 AM   #105
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That makes perfect sense, but what was the plan in Virtuoso?

"Go be a big star, we'll be fine without you."