RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 444
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 3 2012, 08:26 PM   #61
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Re: Why is Nemesis hated so much?

Nemesis is hated for the same reason that The Final Frontier and NuTrek are also hated. The truth of the matter is that Star Trek fans are damn stubborn bitches. I'm guilty of this myself.

I love Nemesis and (2009), but loathe the fact that TFF was ever put to film. I have friends on this very site that love TFF and would not tolerate a single second of NuTrek ever again.
Old July 3 2012, 08:29 PM   #62
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

I have this saved on my computer so whenever this gets asked I can copy pasta:

A: The bad guy was "an evil twin". Christ. Just tie Deanna up to some railroad tracks as you laugh evilly while you twist your mustache.

B: The friends of the bad guy were not nice to look at. They look like aborted clones drizzled in maple syrup. Too obvious.

C: More convenient Enterprise placement.
"Oh, we just happen to be the closest ship to this planet with the Retard Data...which just happens to get us 'dangerously close' to the Neutral Zone." How many times were "dangerously close" and "Neutral Zone" used in the same sentence in the span of TNG?

D: Fanboy Enterprise. Fanboy Scimitar. 19,246 Quantum Torpedo tubes vs 492,399 disruptor cannons! Oh, it can fire when cloaked? So we can't use our massive arsenal? Fuck it! RAM 'EM! And Deanna crashed another Enterprise.

E: So far...the only Trek movie to feature text messaging...for two people sitting 4 feet from each other.

F: So far...only Trek movie to feature a dune buggy and of road racin'! Get 'er done!

G-P: The last 5 minutes are thrown together. Sub bitches about this

1. Picard hits gross alien in the face with a phaser rifle, why he didn't fire, I don't know.
2. When he hit the guy...the futuristic metallic-alloy gun just...breaks.
3. The evil twin was melting in a manner akin to the Wicked Witch of the West, not a threat anymore.
4. Data jumps from ship to ship (about 5-10 miles) and just barely catches a convenient thingy sticking out, and sneaks in an even more convenient access hatch located exactly where he needed it to be (it was also unlocked)
5. Picard, just stands there as the Technobabble Radiation builds, seemingly dooming his entire crew. If he wasn't going to do anything, why the fuck did he beam over there in the first place?
6. Data shows up at the last second, beams Picard back...says "goodbye" and instead of deactivating the beam, learning God knows how much about the ship, he just shoots his phaser into it.
7. Data dies.
8. Deanna cries.
9. Will finally gets promoted and leaves.

Q: Where's Q? He'd make a much better villain than "Evil Romulan Picard"

R: The Romulan Senate is gone. Do we hear anything from the Romulans? No. I guess they're all ok with it.

S: Main cast singing...because he can, no other reason.

T: A hole was blown in the bridge. A HOLE WAS BLOWN IN THE BRIDGE, and only one person got sucked out. No one burned. Sorta a 'meh' hole. Didn't seem to want to do alot of damage.

U: At the end, it leaves it WIDE-FUCKING-OPEN for a follow up...something...like Data's memory techobabble made it to Retard Data. Will we see it? Nope.

V: New Warbirds, don't look as good as the old Warbirds, and they sorta suck at fighting. You'd think they'd know something about fighting a cloaked ship. But no. Nada. Useless and more fanboy "OH THIS IS TEH KEWL" bs.

W: Worf...again, found his way back, and pitched down to make him seem more alien. Yeah, thanks. Lets make the guy who has been on screen the most in all of Trek, and change him to make him more different. Like the ass on his head wasn't enough.

X: Regarding the above mentioned dune buggy frivolities. I guess they seemed to casually forget that they violated about 15 parts of the Prime Directive (showing themselves to pre warp civilization, shooting at them)…all because they wanted to find another brother for Data

Y: And speaking of another Data brother? Why? That last one seemed to be not worth the trouble of putting him back together…and OHHHHH NOOOO! This one is out to hurt us too…but in a naive 3 year old sticking a fork in an outlet sorta way.

Z: We’re forced to live with it as a finale of a series that many of us grew to love. If that’s it, make us be glad its over. Don’t tease us with open-ended plot holes. Riker on the Titan? Never gonna see it. B4 becoming Data…never gonna see it. Enterprise E? Never gonna see that ever again because half the crew is gone. Yet another Picard and Data wank-fest that left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth.

Now, would it suck as much if it wasn’t the last one? Eh, I dunno…none of us will ever know as we’re not going to be given a proper send off for TNG.

16 years, and that’s what Paramount gives us.

Thanks. Why don’t you just kick my dog while you’re at it?

That...in a nutshell, is why it sucks. Now...someone stick this thread to the top of the board so it won't get asked every other week.
Old July 4 2012, 01:34 AM   #63
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
That...in a nutshell, is why it sucks. Now...someone stick this thread to the top of the board so it won't get asked every other week.
The world according to you. Even though I agree with you, it's pretty arrogant to just say "This is how it is, stop asking."

If threads about this movie annoy you so much, you can make them go away forever by never clicking on them.
Old July 4 2012, 03:30 AM   #64
Lord Garth
Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
It's a forum that only discusses 20 hours' worth of material released 10-33 years ago. What do you expect? Rhetorical question.

I'm actually amazed the ST XI+ forum goes as strong as it does with as little material as it has to work with.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 07:19 AM   #65
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

W: Worf...again, found his way back, and pitched down to make him seem more alien. Yeah, thanks. Lets make the guy who has been on screen the most in all of Trek, and change him to make him more different. Like the ass on his head wasn't enough.
Changing the voice of Bairds idea I believe( Baird also had Picards Mintakan tapestry removed from his ready room, just because he could..)
Worf was indeed alien enough for us already.
Plus they totally ignored the events of DS9..and his character development.
I know that some of the producers were trying to explain this by saying that "Maybe Worf got bored of being ambassador" or the most likely but unspoken "Nobody watched DS9 anyway"
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2012, 07:38 AM   #66
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JRS wrote: View Post
Changing the voice of Bairds idea I believe( Baird also had Picards Mintakan tapestry removed from his ready room, just because he could..)
Worf was indeed alien enough for us already.
Plus they totally ignored the events of DS9..and his character development.
I know that some of the producers were trying to explain this by saying that "Maybe Worf got bored of being ambassador" or the most likely but unspoken "Nobody watched DS9 anyway"
Worf's treatment in the movies was hit and miss. In First Contact it was beautiful how they worked him in, the Defiant fighting the Borg Cube and being rescued by the Enterprise. Only wish O'brien could have been along too. Barclay and the EMH got cameos.

In Insurrection they at least tried to give an excuse. Yeah.. okay Worf's on leave... so he's over here working. Sure. Then again Sisko has been known to kick people of DS9 literally when they have leave time, and Worf usually is a glutton for work.

In Nemesis they don't even try to. A few lines like "It's good to have you back in Starfleet, Worf" would have done it too. And really.. the end there? Okay Data's dead(another topic entirely). Why did they bring in some random guy to be first officer... you have Worf there... in command red! Sure Sisko read Worf the riot act when he abandoned a mission to save Dax saying it probably ended his career advancement, but I'm quite sure Picard could pull a string there and would have no problem doing so since he trusts Worf and the position is open.

Sometimes I honestly just think Paramount would be well served hiring a "fan consultant" to proof-read scripts for glaringly obvious errors.
Old July 4 2012, 06:52 PM   #67
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The movie plot was arbitrary. Why not connect a Romulan movie back into the series, like use Tomalok, and maybe have the excuse that the Enterprise is delivering Admiral Jarak's message to his family now that there is a peace between the Federation and the Romulan Empire due to the Dominion War. Using this set up would sort of parallel Star Trek 6 with the Klingons. Then they could have some rogue Romulan element wanting to take the Federation out while it is still recovering from the Dominion War.

-Chris
Old July 6 2012, 04:56 AM   #68
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

I liked Nemesis, but I was disappointed with all the open-ended sub-plots that we are never going to see. Personally, I think they were just running out of ideas by then. Who knows.
Old July 6 2012, 01:28 PM   #69
Jeyl
Commodore

T'Preea wrote: View Post
I liked Nemesis, but I was disappointed with all the open-ended sub-plots that we are never going to see. Personally, I think they were just running out of ideas by then. Who knows.
I do. Patrick Stewart had a high $ value on his head and everyone believed that if the film didn't make him the focus of everything with a little sprinkle of Data, that the film would be a disaster and kill the franchise. So they tacked on a Picard clone plot to make it more Picard focused and threw in another copy of Data. To make the movie even more guaranteed to succeed, the film makers also indulged Patrick Stewart by giving him a car chase in the desert. Patrick loves driving.

Star Trek Nemesis went on to gross 2 billion dollars at the box office and Star Trek now surpasses Star Wars as the most successful and well known franchises in the world.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 01:41 PM   #70
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PopBoy

Bit of an hot mess really. I think i am one of a few who didnt always leap for joy when it was clearly going to be a Picard or Data episode - so as the movie is pretty much all about them I was never going to like the film.
PopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 02:33 PM   #71
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PopBoy

Can i add that the story.....was actually quite good. One of those "great on paper" movies.
PopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 05:05 PM   #72
DWF
Vice Admiral

I enjoy it wheneve I rewatch it, the movie might niot be perfect but it was nice to for the last time to catch up with the TNG crew.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 07:55 PM   #73
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

I'm not saying I won't give credit where credit is due. I give handfuls of kudos to the action sequence writers (Brent Spiner for one); but as for the story line, it was severely lacking in parts.
Old July 6 2012, 09:18 PM   #74
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I watched it again recently and I think there are little flashes of greatness in it. You could probably make a good 45 minute episode out of all the best parts.

Cut the dunebuggy scene first.
Old July 6 2012, 11:12 PM   #75
Sulu
Ensign

I think the whole cast and crew were feeling a little over reliant on egg soup ( a practice they picked up from the Shatner.) Egg soup is a serious depressant if taken in too big a dose. This contributed to the poor quality of the screenwriting and performances, resulting in a rather weak effort.
Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote