Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 27 2012, 11:45 PM   #466
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Psylent1 wrote: View Post
I would have liked to have seen Korra spend the second season on a quest to regain her lost elements.
Everybody's saying that. But didn't we already have a series like that? The idea behind TLoK is to tell new kinds of stories in the Avatar world. I'm more interested in seeing what new ideas they come up with now. There's still plenty of stuff worth exploring in Republic City, plenty of problems that still need to be dealt with. I bet that once people have seen the second season, they'll be glad it wasn't just a rehash of what Aang already went through.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2012, 01:18 AM   #467
RoJoHen
Awesome

You seem to think that Korra getting her bending back would be treated the same as Aang learning how to bend for the first time. They're completely different situations and could have very unique stories. In Aang's case, he was a bender who just didn't know how to bend all the elements yet. In Korra's case, it would be a quest to regain her powers, not by traveling to different nations and being taught by masters, but by reversing whatever Amon did to her.

Now, I'm not even saying that I would have preferred that over what we got; it's just another way things could have gone. Hell, it didn't even need to last the whole second season. It could have been dealt with in the first couple episodes with Korra accessing her spiritual side.
Old July 3 2012, 01:59 AM   #468
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I really hope Iroh is a regular character now. He was so bad ass! Fall out an airplane? Oh no problem! Of course, in the old show, weren't fire-benders only able to fire-jet-fly under Sozin's Comet...?
I just saw this again, and nothing Iroh did really constituted "flying." He used the fire jets twice -- once to boost himself onto a plane that was a few dozen meters ahead of him, not long enough to constitute flight, and once when he was falling from a plane, to aim his descent so that he'd land on another plane.

But I have to wonder -- if he's commanding a fleet of ships, why is he General Iroh instead of Admiral Iroh?

Old July 3 2012, 05:36 PM   #469
Mr Light
Admiral

Anybody know how long we have to wait for Book Two?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 05:36 PM   #470
RoJoHen
Awesome

FOREVER!
Old July 3 2012, 06:48 PM   #471
T J
Commodore

It will feel like forever!
Old July 3 2012, 08:04 PM   #472
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Anybody know how long we have to wait for Book Two?
At the very earliest, next year. In one of the interviews I saw with the pair of writers, they said that on average, it takes them two years to put together each year/book, and they had barely begun plotting out book 2.
Old July 3 2012, 08:58 PM   #473
Karnbeln
Lieutenant Commander

I'm late to the game, but I have a comment on the discussion about non-bending Air Nomads from pages 25 and 26...

While I'm loath to bring up the movie, which I thought was pretty bad overall, I thought how Shymalan portrayed the Air Nomads was interesting. While the other nations consisted of people that were racially similar, he purposely portrayed the monks at the air temple as a mixture of races. This, combined with airbenders being taken from their families to live at the air temples from a young age, would imply that the Air Nomads were not at all a nation, just a spiritual order consisting of those who could airbend, and airbenders could therefore come from any nation.

This would explain why the air temples are scattered and in other nation's territories. It may not be entirely consistent with the show, though, since if airbenders could pop up from anywhere they couldn't have been nearly so certain they were ending the Avatar cycle by killing all the monks.
Karnbeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2012, 09:16 PM   #474
Christopher
Writer

^That's a good point, although it's worth mentioning that there was some ethnic diversity in the film's version of the Earth Kingdom as well. I think some of the EK inhabitants we saw were played by African-American actors as well as Asian actors. And the Fire Nation characters included an Iranian actor (Shaun Toub) alongside the South Asian actors, so there's some degree of diversity there too.

Old July 5 2012, 10:16 AM   #475
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Karnbeln wrote: View Post
It may not be entirely consistent with the show, though, since if airbenders could pop up from anywhere they couldn't have been nearly so certain they were ending the Avatar cycle by killing all the monks.
That kills the theory, if airbenders could come from any nation during Sozin's times (which couldn't be a secret) there would have been no point in attacking them in the first place unless the goal was to kill the avatar specifically and that would have only led to a watertribe avatar who was a few years younger.

I took some time to rewatch the Korra finale and think about it and the things people wrote in this thread in its defence. My opinion hasn't changed much, I still think the final scene was awul and nothing but crappy writing.
I can deal with Amon waterbending to save his life, but I still think the way he did it was out of character for him. Using waterbending to get to the surface? Sure, that makes sense, but emerging from the water and floating in midair on top of a giant water column for such a long time? That was too much.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 03:24 PM   #476
Christopher
Writer

Takeru wrote: View Post
I can deal with Amon waterbending to save his life, but I still think the way he did it was out of character for him. Using waterbending to get to the surface? Sure, that makes sense, but emerging from the water and floating in midair on top of a giant water column for such a long time? That was too much.
As suggested above, it was probably reflex. He had been unconscious, he woke up in the water, and he reflexively retreated from that situation as forcefully as he could. And he seemed to be up there longer than he was because of the slow motion.

Old July 14 2012, 02:55 AM   #477
Christopher
Writer

Okay, I've been watching the "Making of a Legend" thing on NickToons -- running through the episodes every evening at 9 Eastern with extra introductory bits by Konietzko and DiMartino -- and they're now halfway through Book 1, so I was expecting they'd finish out the second half next Monday through Friday. Yet there are no further episodes showing up on either my cable's schedule guide or Zap2It. What gives? Why would they only show half the series? I saw a post on Korra Nation confirming that the creators recorded 36 act intros, which works out to 12 episodes, the whole Book 1. So when are they going to show the other half, and why stop now?

I'm also annoyed because I set the DVR to record the first few episodes (since I had other things to watch on those nights) and didn't set it to record a few extra minutes just in case. I expected the added material would increase the running time, but I assumed that would be taken into account in the data sent to the cable box. Yet it turned out it wasn't, so I missed the endings of episodes 2 & 3. Of course I've seen them several times already, but it was still annoying not to get to see them again.

Old July 14 2012, 03:32 AM   #478
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Was there any interesting additional information in those commentaries?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 06:15 AM   #479
Snaploud
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But I have to wonder -- if he's commanding a fleet of ships, why is he General Iroh instead of Admiral Iroh?
There are a few possibilities for why they would have chosen a ground forces office:

A) Iroh is a member of the Fire nation's royal family, and the forces may have been made up largely of Fire nation soldiers/ships.

B) They may have mistakenly believed most of the fighting would actually take place on land and gave Iroh command early out of a desire to maintain steady leadership throughout the battle.

C) Iroh may be acting in a manner similar to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs or perhaps a Commander-in-Chief and needs to be on-site due to technological limitations in their long-distance communications methods.

D) The original intent may have been that he act as a figurehead. An admiral could be giving most of the orders while they're at sea.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2012, 07:44 AM   #480
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I started a Book Two thread here.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote