RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,902
Posts: 5,387,612
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 607
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 1 2012, 08:23 AM   #1381
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

^Not surprising given the way the endings were initially presented. I'd be interested to see how those percentages might have shifted after people have played though the extended cut. I'd be willing to bet the majority still goes with destroy--partly because of the breath scene--but I think the other three will have a larger share now. My gut tells me control would be an easy second.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 03:30 PM   #1382
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Not surprising given the way the endings were initially presented. I'd be interested to see how those percentages might have shifted after people have played though the extended cut. I'd be willing to bet the majority still goes with destroy--partly because of the breath scene--but I think the other three will have a larger share now. My gut tells me control would be an easy second.
I dunno. After the extended cut, I think that synthesis is an even worse option now. It was abhorrent on the face of it before, but now that the Catalyst's background has been fleshed out, I'm inclined to argue against whatever it thinks is best on pure principle.

Control... while it provides a clearer picture now that yes, the new force in control of the Reapers is benevolent, I'm also not too happy with them sticking around. Millions or billions of people, processed into mechanical forms against their will, enslaved to nee-Shepard? No, I don't like that at all.

In the end, I think either destroy or refusal is best. Without knowing more about how the next cycle went down, I can't really decide. I went with destroy because it eliminates the threat now instead of kicking the can down the road, though.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 04:01 PM   #1383
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Mass Effect 3

If anything, the extended cut strengthened my belief in destroy being the best ending. One of the best things the extended cut did was clarify that the catalyst is just another crazed AI and not some sort of mystical god-like being, which makes it more important than ever that it and its machines be destroyed. I can see why some would pick control though, if they had played a paragon Shepard and were certain he would never use the Reapers for evil. I can understand why synthesis seems tempting when first mentioned, but I still can't stand it from an ethical or thematic standpoint, so the extended cut hasn't changed my opinion on that at all.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 10:12 AM   #1384
Camren
Commodore
 
Location: London, UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

There was one all important question Shep never asked the Catalyst - why the feck does he look like the kid at the start of the game, and the one who haunts Shep's dreams?
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 10:47 AM   #1385
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Mass Effect 3

Camren wrote: View Post
There was one all important question Shep never asked the Catalyst - why the feck does he look like the kid at the start of the game, and the one who haunts Shep's dreams?
For some weird reason, Shepard is traumatized by this one kid she just met rather than ordering one of her squad mates to their death in the first game or the countless other deaths she must have witnessed before hand.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 11:01 AM   #1386
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

^There's a difference between seeing fellow solders die and watching a child you spoke to just 10 minutes ago get blown to tiny bits. Aside from being something of a riff on 'Schindler's List' (remember the girl in the red coat?) the kid is supposed to have come to subconsciously represent all those Shepard couldn't save.

As for why the Catalyst took that form, it's a fair bet that it wasn't a hologram, but was a direct communication with Shepard's mind. While I don't buy the Indoctrination Theory, it's a fair bet that the Reapers got inside her skull through TIM and chose that form from her subconscious.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 11:20 AM   #1387
Camren
Commodore
 
Location: London, UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
^There's a difference between seeing fellow solders die and watching a child you spoke to just 10 minutes ago get blown to tiny bits. Aside from being something of a riff on 'Schindler's List' (remember the girl in the red coat?) the kid is supposed to have come to subconsciously represent all those Shepard couldn't save.

As for why the Catalyst took that form, it's a fair bet that it wasn't a hologram, but was a direct communication with Shepard's mind. While I don't buy the Indoctrination Theory, it's a fair bet that the Reapers got inside her skull through TIM and chose that form from her subconscious.
Yep, or the kid was the catalyst all along.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 01:30 PM   #1388
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

^I can't be bothered to argue about IT since at this point it's just flogging a dead klixen, so I'll just say that it makes absolutely zero sense and leave it at that.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 05:09 PM   #1389
John Clark
Commodore
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Re: Mass Effect 3

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
If anything, the extended cut strengthened my belief in destroy being the best ending. One of the best things the extended cut did was clarify that the catalyst is just another crazed AI and not some sort of mystical god-like being, which makes it more important than ever that it and its machines be destroyed. I can see why some would pick control though, if they had played a paragon Shepard and were certain he would never use the Reapers for evil. I can understand why synthesis seems tempting when first mentioned, but I still can't stand it from an ethical or thematic standpoint, so the extended cut hasn't changed my opinion on that at all.
My primary Shep is mostly paragon and is the type who I'd be least worried about picking control. Unfortunately, the way I roleplayed that one, control would have been the third of four options. (Destroy, reject, control, synthesis in that order).

For that one, the decision probably makes more sense in the EC ending as the Catalyst does mention that things can be repaired and she was praying that it might include EDI and the Geth under that heading.

Reject would have had her praying she'd brought enough firepower, but doubting it.

Control - She'd have worried about getting corrupted by it all once she'd lost everyone.

Synthesis - Forcing that large a change on every single person throughout the galaxy?. It just didn't feel right.

For my next Shepard, control will probably be the main option and the galaxy had probably better behave itself
__________________
If there's a justification for my actions right now, it's this: I have gone completely mad
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 09:46 PM   #1390
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

ATimson wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
^Not surprising given the way the endings were initially presented. I'd be interested to see how those percentages might have shifted after people have played though the extended cut. I'd be willing to bet the majority still goes with destroy--partly because of the breath scene--but I think the other three will have a larger share now. My gut tells me control would be an easy second.
I dunno. After the extended cut, I think that synthesis is an even worse option now. It was abhorrent on the face of it before, but now that the Catalyst's background has been fleshed out, I'm inclined to argue against whatever it thinks is best on pure principle.

Control... while it provides a clearer picture now that yes, the new force in control of the Reapers is benevolent, I'm also not too happy with them sticking around. Millions or billions of people, processed into mechanical forms against their will, enslaved to nee-Shepard? No, I don't like that at all.

In the end, I think either destroy or refusal is best. Without knowing more about how the next cycle went down, I can't really decide. I went with destroy because it eliminates the threat now instead of kicking the can down the road, though.
Oh I completely agree, I'm just saying that with the extended cut, more people are likely to pick those other two options depending on their own personal opinions and/or their view of what their Shepard would do.

On a slightly different topic; anyone know if it's been discovered yet what determines which squadmate (assuming you don't take your LI along) gets the last goodbye/evac scene? Is there an approval system that's working under the hood or is it just random?
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 10:32 PM   #1391
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral
 
Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Re: Mass Effect 3

I'm still wondering who tells Joker to retreat in the cockpit if Garrus is dead. I'm guessing Liara, since she's impossible to kill.

I did get my "everybody's dead" Shepard up to just before Earth, but ended up deleting the character out of disgust.
__________________
My DVD Collection
Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 10:42 PM   #1392
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Mass Effect 3

Liara tells Joker to leave in my ending, but that's because I brought Garrus and Ashley with me.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 10:56 PM   #1393
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Mass Effect 3

So far I've seen clips on youtube that has Ashley, Garrus and Liara each do that scene. Since by that point anyone could have been killed already, they must have done the scene with every character. Garrus did it in my playthrough and I took Ash & Liara with me, so maybe it picks one out of whoever is left behind in some pre-set order.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 11:40 PM   #1394
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Mass Effect 3

In my game, Ashley did it, and she was the one that held Shep's nameplate during the "funeral" scene. I'm assuming it's because she was the LI back in ME1 while Miranda was in ME2&3, so the game picked Ash. Garrus would have made more sense, but I imagine he was too overcome with grief and had probably been drinking to numb the pain.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 11:45 PM   #1395
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
^There's a difference between seeing fellow solders die and watching a child you spoke to just 10 minutes ago get blown to tiny bits. Aside from being something of a riff on 'Schindler's List' (remember the girl in the red coat?) the kid is supposed to have come to subconsciously represent all those Shepard couldn't save.

As for why the Catalyst took that form, it's a fair bet that it wasn't a hologram, but was a direct communication with Shepard's mind. While I don't buy the Indoctrination Theory, it's a fair bet that the Reapers got inside her skull through TIM and chose that form from her subconscious.
Oh, I understand what the kid is supposed to represent. I just think if they were serious about having your choices "matter", then tying that ghost kid to an actual loss from the very first game would have made much more sense.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
auto dialogue, bioware, mass effect, mass effect 2, mass effect 3

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.