Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 30 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
ScottDS
Captain

La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

NO RELEASE DATE OR TRACK LISTING YET!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/po...ID=1&archive=0

In addition to these wonderful new releases, La-La Land will be offering at its Comic Con booth (#429 “Toy Hungry”) the usual assortment of exciting soundtrack titles, with many worthwhile specials and deals to be had.

Also, we will be discussing some of our upcoming soundtrack releases, including [...] STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE (4-CD SET) music by various composers.

For folks who are unfamiliar with this scene, the way La-La Land Records (they released the expanded TMP score) works is, they'll announce the title, then put it up for sale a week later. Right now, there is no date for this set yet.
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 10:42 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Fantastic news! I definitely will be getting this. The La-La Land releases of the past have been some of the best soundtracks I've ever seen. I'm curious which episode scores they will comprise.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 10:43 PM   #3
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Fantastic news! January would be a good time for a release, given that DS9 will celebrate its 20th anniversary then.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

I'm not sure how enthusiastic to be about this; it depends on what episodes are included. A lot of the stuff in the 3-disc TNG set a while back was rather uninteresting. There aren't that many DS9 episodes that I remember standing out musically, and several of them have already been released. I suppose there could be some good stuff in "period" episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars," "Our Man Bashir," and the Vic Fontaine installments. And there was some good stuff in some of the comedy episodes; I wouldn't mind having John Debney's score to "The Nagus," or David Bell's "Take Me Out to the Holosuite." Oh, and Jay Chattaway's teaching song for Sarina in "Chrysalis" is a must.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 11:36 PM   #5
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

If there was one flaw with DS9, it was that I found most of the music to be kind of annoying dreary background noise. There were some episodes where the Music was great (The jazzy moments of Far Beyond the Stars, or the music to set the mood for The Visitor) but I'm interested to see what episodes they will include.
Old July 1 2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, "The Visitor" was one of the great scores -- but it's already had a CD release in GNP Crescendo's first The Best of Star Trek compilation.

Old July 1 2012, 01:01 AM   #7
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm not sure how enthusiastic to be about this; it depends on what episodes are included. A lot of the stuff in the 3-disc TNG set a while back was rather uninteresting.
TNG already had 18-and-a-half discs released, though (4 GNP volumes, 14 discs in The Ron Jones Project, and two Best of Trek volumes where they get about a quarter of the disc). After that point you're going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

DS9, meanwhile, has only had one-and-a-half discs of music released. While it's been far too long since I've seen the show, and so can't really name any memorable episodes off the top of my head, it just seems to me that there's probably going to be a lot more remaining good material there.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^But it's a matter of period, not just quantity. There's a lot of good TNG material because it was a few years before the "wallpaper" policy fully kicked in. Most of the really interesting stuff is from the early seasons, and the most interesting stuff from later seasons is from the one-time guest composers. But DS9 came along five years later, so it was fully within the "wallpaper music" era. McCarthy got to cut loose with "Emissary," but I'm not sure how long it was before the more conventional scoring style settled in.

Old July 1 2012, 03:23 AM   #9
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

While Voyager and especially Enterprise have more cinematic scoring, there's more interesting music in DS9 than you might remember. I've been rewatching the series lately and taking note of the cues that I'd want to hear outside of the show.

McCarthy: There's a terrific emotional cue for the climax of "Duet." Also, he gets to cut loose for the climax of the otherwise dreadful "Fascination." Finally, there's plenty of worthy stuff from the finale, like the montage and the other goodbye scenes. The cue for the final shot is a shoe-in for this set.

Chattaway: There's a great thematic action cue for the climax of "Armageddon Game" (and you wouldn't expect it because with TNG still around, that was very much in the wallpaper era). From season 5 on, Chattaway did great work for episodes like "Call to Arms," "Empok Nor", "One Little Ship," "Time's Orphan" and especially "The Changing Face of Evil."

Bell: His work for "Covenant", "Sacrifice of Angels" and "In the Pale Moonlight" is solid.

Baillargeon: Not a fan but it's hard not to deny the power of his score for "The Siege of AR-558." His best work (as well as for the rest of them) lies in Enterprise, though.
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 03:35 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I'm not a big fan of Chattaway's action cues; I prefer his more emotional, sensitive material. Although I did like his action work in VGR: "Scorpion," since he actually got away with composing a leitmotif for Species 8472.

Old July 1 2012, 03:44 AM   #11
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

He wrote "Call to Arms" around the same time and it also has a recurring motif (for the enemy fleet). I always wondered how he pulled that off.

Chattaway's action style broadened as the franchise went on. I really like his work in Enterprise.
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Harvey
Admiral

Hopefully it has the score from "The Siege of AR-558." Depending on what is featured, I might pick this up.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 05:05 PM   #13
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I love the music that accompanies the final scene in "The Changing Face of Evil", where Damar reveals his resistance movement and the DS9 crew, as well as Weyoun and the Female Changeling, react.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 10:26 PM   #14
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

Just saw this announced at the end of the latest La-La Land news e-mail, have to say I'm very excited about this! I love genre TV scores and will be excited to see what episodes are covered in this set.

As mentioned above, I would love to get the Ron Jones Project set, but even if I forked out the high price, I dread to think what the import duty would be...
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 11:37 PM   #15
ILOVETREK1701
Lieutenant Commander

I love star trek music and I want this, ah I'll have to purchase it.
ILOVETREK1701 is offline   Reply With Quote