Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Raise the Dawn.
Outstanding 82 70.69%
Above Average 25 21.55%
Average 3 2.59%
Below Average 3 2.59%
Poor 3 2.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29 2012, 08:41 PM   #121
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

about 20% into it. A large amount of destruction.I would comment further but cannot enable the spoiler button.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 08:03 AM   #122
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
My review:

Now that I’ve finished RBoE, Plagues of Night, and Raise the Dawn, I feel very satisfied with the overall journey with RtD being very difficult to put down. It was very non-traditional and larger than life with so many characters, events, and settings that strung together a fairly epic chain which, in the end, has either resurrected DS9 in Trek lit or killed it.

Now that Sisko’s family situation has been resolved, I feel much better about his overall journey even though I still don’t believe his abandoning his family makes any sense.

Usually I don’t care much for the political strings in Trek stories but I actually looked forward to chapters involving the Romulan Praetor as she has been a very engaging character. She will make the Typhon Pact very interesting as she alone among the Pact leadership seems to understand the UFP and not want to make war with them. It should proof interesting as the other states act belligerent while the Romulans are the level-headed ones. That said, I’m left wondering how the Tzentheki feel about her as she has essentially thwarted their plans twice and they are the ones who brought her to power.

I have mixed feelings about the ending for the crew and station. I just found it a bit much to have O’Brien, Nog, and Odo all return to DS9. I love the characters and am glad to see them back, but I just don’t feel like they belong there. I was very pleased when O'Brien appeared; O”Brien and Nog I can understand wanting to build a new station but wonce that’s over, it will be like they are regressing rather than progressing in their career. Odo says Starfleet is unlikely to send a Slipstream vessel to return him to the Dominion. I think Starfleet could see value in taking the time to return a stranded head of state home, especially when he is a stabilizing force for the Dominion. With him gone, Laas could make them a dangerous force if/when the wormhole reopens.

And that is my biggest gripe, the wormhole being collapsed. Without it, DS9 seems pointless. No Gamma Quadrant, the Cardassians are an ally now. What’s going to be interesting about a space station in the ass end of space now?

So although I enjoyed DRG III’s overall DS9 story, found this book fairly outstanding, and will eagerly pick up his next book because he is a fine writer who weaves a great story, I’m left worried that he left DS9 in a worse state than he found it.
Yeah DS9 and Bajor are kinda irrelevant now without the wormhole. Although naturally, the wormhole will reopen eventually. Such is the state of serial lit. Although in some way you can say this closes a major chapter for DS9. Show starts with the wormhole opening and this book has it closes. Although, I wonder how the Bajorans will react to this.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 01:37 PM   #123
starri
Lieutenant

Yeah DS9 and Bajor are kinda irrelevant now without the wormhole.
Not necessarily. DS9 was the staging ground for the relief efforts to Cardassia after the war, and now that the Cardassians are more closely allied with the Federation, it will probably become an important waypoint between the two.

And that pre-supposes that an admiral or two won't take up the idea of the Federation reopening the wormhole itself, which, you have to admit, is something an admiral might do.
starri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 07:45 PM   #124
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah Sorry really not all that interested in Cardassia Relief Besides that Hardly Compares to being the Gateway to a whole quadrant.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 08:09 PM   #125
Paper Moon
Commander

WOW. That. Was. Great.

Honestly, PoN and RtD together are better than Destiny to me. I don't say that to minimize Destiny's excellence, but to emphasize this duology's.

Spoilers abounding ahead...

Comments on things I liked:
-That pagh'tem'far between Kasidy, Sisko and Kira at the end was probably the most confusing thing I have ever read in TrekLit. And it was great. I liked the resolution of the Sisko and Prophets storyline. It's about time, in my view. Oddly enough, the way Kira explained that it was okay for Sisko to be with Kasidy reminded me of the similar revelation about a prophecy in the Harry Potter series.
-Loved the resolution of Kira's story. While I would be okay if she came back, I appreciate the resolution of the conflict that was her life, and I'd be okay if it were over. She deserves to be at peace.
-Loved, loved, LOVED the parallelism between Eli rescuing Kay and Elias (?) rescuing Kira. I would like some explanation about Vaughn, but honestly, if I don't get it, that will be okay too. Some things aren't to be explained.
-Really am okay with DS9's demise. Obviously the authors were telegraphing this, but it did feel like there were no more stories to tell there. For one thing, the character of Quark had no way to grow as long as the station was there. I believe it was Ira Steven Behr who said that Quark was never going to be nagus, or anything, because he was always going to be at his bar.
-Was glad to see less of the Breen (really glad) and was fine with less Tzenkethi. They're great, but we've seen a lot of them. Was glad to have focus on interesting Romulans.
-Picard with Tomalak
-Nog and O'Brien being back and working together
-no Ezri
-no one missing Ezri
-Odo being back

Agreeing with what other people have said about:
-Sela; I cheered out loud when I realized who was the prisoner in Ki Baratan
-Kamemor
-Quark
-being sadder about the prospect of losing Vic than about having lost the station
-Bacco being stupid
-Sisko reeming out Stinson

Things I was less keen on:
-Where is Spock? (someone else mentioned this upthread) Not even a mention? I didn't miss him while reading the book, but in hindsight, I would have appreciated something.
-The Sarina Douglas subplot; to turn Bashir's "wheels-within-wheels" image on its ear, this story felt like it was spinning its wheels. Of course DRGIII needed to include it, but it just felt like there wasn't enough space in the narrative to make it go places. And while the confusingness of the story was clearly intentional and meaningful, it just didn't quite work for me. And it's somewhat frustrating because I don't think we'll get development on that story for some time.
-Using the True Way. I know that their continued existence beyond the Dominion War was not DRGIII's call, and I agree that if they survived that war, they would certainly survive at least until 2383, and behave very much as depicted. All that aside, though, I still don't find them particularly interesting, nor particularly believable.

I'm not sure what to think of the wormhole collapsing. Though it's rich with story potentials, I am saddened by the stories we won't get, at least, not for a while, mainly relating to the Dominion and GQ exploration. On the other hand, it will be nice to be able to focus on the Alpha and Beta Quadrants for a while. And Odo is certainly placed into an interesting position now. Wonder what he will do.

All in all, this was a fantastic book. I want there to be more DS9 stories and sooner than we will surely get them. And honestly, at this point, I personally don't need/want those story slots to be taken up with Ascendant-only stories. What is ahead seems yet more exciting than what we have left behind.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 09:34 PM   #126
shanejayell
Captain

Finished. DAMN good book, very very good.

*madly claps*

One thing that's annoying me in reader responces is "Bacco being stupid" comments. Do keep in mind that as readers we have MUCH more information than she does. She's making the best calls she can make, and with the information she has they're good calls.

WE know Kamemor is good hearted, but Bacco DOESN'T. All she knows is she negotiated with her in good faith and got screwed. So I don't have any problems with how she was portrayed.

My opinion, anyway.
Old June 30 2012, 09:38 PM   #127
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Is the new station still called Deep Space Nine, or does it have a new name?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 09:46 PM   #128
Paper Moon
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Is the new station still called Deep Space Nine, or does it have a new name?
According to the last line of the book,

shanejayell wrote: View Post
Finished. DAMN good book, very very good.

*madly claps*

One thing that's annoying me in reader responces is "Bacco being stupid" comments. Do keep in mind that as readers we have MUCH more information than she does. She's making the best calls she can make, and with the information she has they're good calls.

WE know Kamemor is good hearted, but Bacco DOESN'T. All she knows is she negotiated with her in good faith and got screwed. So I don't have any problems with how she was portrayed.

My opinion, anyway.
I should clarify that I didn't actually think Bacco was being stupid, per se, but was rather using "Bacco being stupid" as a shorthand to stand in for what other people had said here about her behavior. I do think she let her anger get the better of her just a little bit. But just a little bit. Her behavior was entirely understandable and believable, and generally to her credit as a president.

It was interesting seeing her depicted like this, though. Until now, Bacco has never really had the wool pulled completely over her eyes from what is actually going on. So it was interesting to see her make a (potentially very costly) mistake.

I do wish we could have seen her reconciliation with Kamemor, though.
Old June 30 2012, 09:50 PM   #129
shanejayell
Captain

*squints as cover pic*

Could be Section 173, or Bay !73 or anything else. Doesn't seem to indicate the station name, to me anyway.
Old June 30 2012, 11:51 PM   #130
Paper Moon
Commander

shanejayell wrote: View Post
*squints as cover pic*

Could be Section 173, or Bay !73 or anything else. Doesn't seem to indicate the station name, to me anyway.
Excellent point. Thanks.
Old July 1 2012, 02:42 AM   #131
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Looks like Doug Drexler showed us not the new station, but perhaps the construction office overseeing the building of the new station. Am I wrong?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 05:18 PM   #132
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I know in the past there has been little or no discussion between Pocket Books authors and the artist, so this might be similar.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 09:25 PM   #133
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

still at it. ~1/3 through and no clear resolution where this is heading.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 09:40 PM   #134
Clem1029
Ensign

After reading this a second time, there's a lot to say about this book. Let's start off with the biggest question I have at this point:

Clem1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 09:59 PM   #135
Mage
Commodore

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Looks like Doug Drexler showed us not the new station, but perhaps the construction office overseeing the building of the new station. Am I wrong?

Well, the description of the station at the end of the novels is completely different then what we see on the cover. I'm just guessing they didn't have time/resources to completely design a new station. And I'm glad of it. The station at the cover is just a standard administration station. The new DS9 should be something unique.

In any case, I voted outstanding for not just this, but the duology as a whole.
To me, things were left in a good enough place that, if DS9 and its crew were to never again be featured in Treklit whatsoever, I'm fine with that (even though I will always be a Niner at heart), but would definatly not mind more of it.

I'll be a bit vague from now on, so as not to spoil to much, but there will be some spoilers ahead, so be warned!!

SPOILERS DOWN HERE!!!!

So yeah, I finished this book in two days. Couldn't put it down. To me, it proved again that DRGIII is not only one of the better Treklit authors, who also has a grasp of the DS9 characters. Here's hoping he'll have another change to write them.